Pumapeople: Slippy Clutch - Pumapeople

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Slippy Clutch

#1 User is offline   Jackeo 

• Group: Members
  • Location:Oxfordshire/Derbyshire Depending on what day it is!

Posted 24 February 2009 - 12:56 PM

Hi All

I've been having trouble with a bit of clutch slipping. The usual symptoms of putting my foot down and getting high revs with little response, and obviously puma people was my first port of call!

Having read a few posts regarding the same trouble, I realise I'm going to have to fork out for a new clutch. However, most garages are quoting me around the 400 quid mark, which seems a bit steep, especially compared to other posts! I love my puma, so don't want to fit it with something cheap and crap, but savings to my wallet would be nice. 

I've read/been told by garage that as well as the clutch, other things require changing. Can anyone confirm what work I'm most likely to need, and what price to expect to pay to help me avoid being ripped off?

Many thanks

#2 User is offline   gaznlou 

Posted 24 February 2009 - 02:34 PM

Jackeo
Check with, below £400 is on the high side.

Pumabuild (Birmingham)
Units 5 Holford Drive
Perry Barr
Birmingham
B42 2TU
PHONE: +44 (0)121 356 2638
MOBILE: 07966 401734
http://www.pumabuild.co.uk/contact.htm

Sometimes I wonder... "Why that Frisbee is getting bigger" ....and then it hits me!

#3 User is offline   robsnow 

Posted 24 February 2009 - 03:00 PM

QUOTE (Jackeo @ Feb 24 2009, 12:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi All

I've been having trouble with a bit of clutch slipping. The usual symptoms of putting my foot down and getting high revs with little response, and obviously puma people was my first port of call!

Having read a few posts regarding the same trouble, I realise I'm going to have to fork out for a new clutch. However, most garages are quoting me around the 400 quid mark, which seems a bit steep, especially compared to other posts! I love my puma, so don't want to fit it with something cheap and crap, but savings to my wallet would be nice.

I've read/been told by garage that as well as the clutch, other things require changing. Can anyone confirm what work I'm most likely to need, and what price to expect to pay to help me avoid being ripped off?

Many thanks

Hi, same as me I have a Red 1998 with a slippy clutch, Ford garagu in Stevenage quoted me £620 to do the job. 4.2hrs @£80per hour labour, thats still nearly £300 for the H/W.
Shopping around I have ordered one from the internet, disc, p/plate & c/slave for £120 inc delivery - gonna give £100 to my mate & help him to do the change, at least I will know it's gonna be done properly smile.gif
Local shops quoted £150 for complete kit (cheapo one) & £190 for a ford one

Hope you get it sorted

Regards Rob (looking forward to see what a Puma does with a proper working clutch)

#4 User is offline   zara014 

Posted 24 February 2009 - 03:15 PM

I bought a 3 pice clutch kit (clutch plate, cover and slave cylinder) for £100 on ebay from a shop in Dewsbury.... biggrin.gif
prices will vary from wherever u go tbh.... shop around abit and get plenty quotes - depending on how far your willing to travel

Me and my dad are doing mine...replacing the track rod ends aswell smile.gif
Posted Image
** Zara & FRP#014 **

#5 User is offline   Jackeo 

• Location:Oxfordshire/Derbyshire Depending on what day it is!

Posted 24 February 2009 - 05:08 PM

Thank you all!

What are you using as a guide for DIY? I usually fix most problems myself, using guides on here etc. But I have yet to play with a clutch and understood it required a more advanced knowledge?

Also, does anyone know what else should be replaced at the same time?!

#6 User is offline   yippeekiay 

Posted 24 February 2009 - 06:12 PM

QUOTE (zarablackcoupe @ Feb 24 2009, 03:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I bought a 3 pice clutch kit (clutch plate, cover and slave cylinder) for £100 on ebay from a shop in Dewsbury.... biggrin.gif
prices will vary from wherever u go tbh.... shop around abit and get plenty quotes - depending on how far your willing to travel

Me and my dad are doing mine...replacing the track rod ends aswell smile.gif

Take plenty of pics doing this Zee, I would like to have a go at this myself and I don't think we have a clutch change in the wiki so a good description with tools used etc would be cool too. wink.gif

#7 User is offline   zara014 

Posted 24 February 2009 - 06:15 PM

QUOTE (yippeekiay @ Feb 24 2009, 06:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Take plenty of pics doing this Zee, I would like to have a go at this myself and I don't think we have a clutch change in the wiki so a good description with tools used etc would be cool too. wink.gif

Thats the plan Paul.....thing is I have an engine hoist to hand atm lol biggrin.gif

if your gona diy just make sure you gt sum help lifting the gearbox... its friggin heavy.... lol
Posted Image
** Zara & FRP#014 **

#8 User is offline   yippeekiay 

Posted 24 February 2009 - 06:32 PM

I'll use a trolley jack to lift it if my pure manly brute strength can't cope...lol

#9 User is offline   Nick 

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:14 PM

Mine is getting that way too. I'd be interested in any quotes you get and for what work is done Jackeo, if you can let me know good.gif This is next on the list after doing the leads and plugs. Might get the kit myself and get a small garage I use to do the work (after asking the garage what price they can get them). He usually only charges a fraction of what Fraud quote..

This post has been edited by Nick: 25 February 2009 - 01:29 PM

#10 User is offline   robsnow 

Posted 25 February 2009 - 09:56 AM

QUOTE (Jackeo @ Feb 24 2009, 05:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thank you all!

What are you using as a guide for DIY? I usually fix most problems myself, using guides on here etc. But I have yet to play with a clutch and understood it required a more advanced knowledge?

Also, does anyone know what else should be replaced at the same time?!

Hi, I bought the Ford TIS Cd of Ebay for about £4, it's the one Ford mechanics use. Has all the procedures, Tech updates etc on it. Best £4 I ever spent

Rob

#11 User is offline   Nick 

Posted 25 February 2009 - 01:29 PM

I bought a 3 pice clutch kit (clutch plate, cover and slave cylinder) for £100 on ebay

I'm no mechanic so forgive me if this sounds stupid but does that include everything you need for a new clutch? What about the release bearings (are they part of the slave cylinder?) ja_stupid.gif I just want to make sure I get a quote on all the work that needs done.
Cheers

#12 User is offline   robsnow 

Posted 25 February 2009 - 04:02 PM

QUOTE (Nick @ Feb 25 2009, 01:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm no mechanic so forgive me if this sounds stupid but does that include everything you need for a new clutch? What about the release bearings (are they part of the slave cylinder?) ja_stupid.gif I just want to make sure I get a quote on all the work that needs done.
Cheers

The Puma has the concentric slave rather than a thrust bearing, instead of a cable it uses hydrolic pressure, the concentric slave is inside the bell houseing against the gearbox.
So you need a clutch plate, pressure plate & concentric slave + gearbox oil, plugs (plug up the pipes as they are taken off), cable ties (hold up drive shafts etc), ball joint cracker, clutch allignement tool etc etc etc smile.gif
I will let you know how it goes - PS Ford in Stevenage wanted £620 to do the job sad.gif

Regards Rob

#13 User is offline   binmanjim 

Posted 25 February 2009 - 06:25 PM

any ideas how much transmission fluid the puma needs.

#14 User is offline   Nick 

Posted 26 February 2009 - 08:52 AM

Just got a quote from a local place I use. They want £270 all in! Seems a fair price to me smile.gif

#15 User is offline   zara014 

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:04 AM

take it!!!.. lol thats a reasonable price indeed... smile.gif
Posted Image
** Zara & FRP#014 **

#16 User is offline   PumaOwner69 

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:08 AM

Hi All.

My clutch is slipping on my 1.7 - Fraud want to charge me £414.00 for labour and then £83.58 for the Clutch Kit and £87.98 for the Slave Cylinder

I've gone to a couple of local garages and the price is around the £400.00 mark all in.

I agree it sounds a tad bit on the expensive side but not being a mechanic not sure how many hours labour I should be looking at.

The clutch has only just started to slip and I'm driving 40 mile daily, any idea on how long it will last in its current state?

#17 User is offline   chestnutree 

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:13 AM

What does it mean when people say it's slipping?what happens?

Are there any preventative measures which can be taken to stop it going?as i don't want to also end up with a bill like that!

#18 User is offline   zara014 

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:18 AM

QUOTE (chestnutree @ Feb 26 2009, 09:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What does it mean when people say it's slipping?what happens?

Are there any preventative measures which can be taken to stop it going?as i don't want to also end up with a bill like that!

Usually high revs and no/ very little power...

Mines been doing this since b4 xmas....just havenet had the time to replace it sad.gif

its done quite alot of miles since it has been slipping but sooner it gets done the better smile.gif
Posted Image
** Zara & FRP#014 **

#19 User is offline   PumaOwner69 

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:32 AM

QUOTE (zarablackcoupe @ Feb 26 2009, 09:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Usually high revs and no/ very little power...

Mines been doing this since b4 xmas....just havenet had the time to replace it sad.gif

its done quite alot of miles since it has been slipping but sooner it gets done the better smile.gif

hey Zara, like the spoiler on your Black, what make and do you know how much? Also are you running the standard exhaust or something a little bit special? Only asking as I have a Black as well.

#20 User is offline   zara014 

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:35 AM

QUOTE (PumaOwner69 @ Feb 26 2009, 09:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hey Zara, like the spoiler on your Black, what make and do you know how much? Also are you running the standard exhaust or something a little bit special? Only asking as I have a Black as well.

Hi the spoiler I have they do not make with the brakelight anymore.... I got mine from Extreme Auto Accessories (company in Ireland), I know another member (Spike) had trouble finding the same design though
Mine is on Standard exhaust, has induction kit and sounds like a beastie! biggrin.gif

Good choice of colour biggrin.gif
Posted Image
** Zara & FRP#014 **

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic