• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

My (very) Green Machine project thread Rate Topic: -----

#41 User is offline   Pat_T 

• Group: Members

Posted 03 March 2010 - 01:14 PM

Another 4kg or so removed recently.

Took the standard bonnet down to just one skin with an angle grinder. Subsequently removed the bonnet catch assembly and cable. Also removed some brackets from the rear beam.

New bonnet pins:
Posted Image

Adam (AWX85) has been making up some badges and stickers for me so I'm excited to see how they come out. Next jobs are to give the underside of the bonnet a lick of paint and get round to buying and fitting the new battery!
1.7L. ST150 clutch. Shawspeed lightened flywheel. Miltek exhaust manifold & full decat system. Pipercross foam cone filter. Speedline white 17" wheels. Toyo R888s. Weitec coilovers.
Powerflex rear beam bushes. Willwood 4-pots, 280mm dics & HEL braided hoses. Kenwood headunit. OMP: rear strut brace. Oddessy Racing 40 battery.
Corbeau Clubman seats. LUKE harnesses. FRP rear seats. Carbon fibre interior. FRP splitter.
Ultimate green. ~990kg...PROJECT THREAD

#42 User is offline   FlashBastd 

• Group: Validating

Posted 03 March 2010 - 01:36 PM

Pat - how much was the new flywheel?

If I change my clutch again, I will go for Fiesta ST, and it makes sense to do the fly at the same time.
2005 Vauxhall VX220 Turbo
2000 Ford Focus 1.6i Ghia
2006 Renault Clio 2.0i RenaultSport 197 - SOLD
2005 Honda CR-V 2.0i Executive auto
2001 Ford Puma 1.7i Black

#43 User is offline   Pat_T 

Posted 03 March 2010 - 03:09 PM

Yep that was my thinking! It was £140 from Shawspeed
1.7L. ST150 clutch. Shawspeed lightened flywheel. Miltek exhaust manifold & full decat system. Pipercross foam cone filter. Speedline white 17" wheels. Toyo R888s. Weitec coilovers.
Powerflex rear beam bushes. Willwood 4-pots, 280mm dics & HEL braided hoses. Kenwood headunit. OMP: rear strut brace. Oddessy Racing 40 battery.
Corbeau Clubman seats. LUKE harnesses. FRP rear seats. Carbon fibre interior. FRP splitter.

#44 User is offline   Tyeboi 

Posted 03 March 2010 - 03:31 PM

is it possible to skim the original fly wheel to lighten it up?
Posted Image
Now being broken. Please check the for sale thread.

#45 User is offline   Big Boy Al 

• View gallery

Posted 03 March 2010 - 05:48 PM

looks lovely mate if you ever sell this tell me about it first ;)
Posted Image
FRP 241 RINGMEISTER -23 LAPS = 296.7 MILES COMPLETED, MORE TO COME NEXT YEAR

#46 User is offline   dawesy 

Posted 03 March 2010 - 06:58 PM

looking good.
i had a helix clutch in my turbo corolla, i ended up with a right leg like geoff capes!! they are very heavy (gripped well though i had over 450bhp and 380lbsft through it with no issues)
be aware that the racing cells dont hold charge well. if the car is in fairly regular use this will be no problem but if left for periods then alarms and clocks et will drain it.
good project though.
my other toy has 470bhp

#47 User is offline   FlashBastd 

• Group: Validating

Posted 03 March 2010 - 07:47 PM

Right leg?
2005 Vauxhall VX220 Turbo
2000 Ford Focus 1.6i Ghia
2006 Renault Clio 2.0i RenaultSport 197 - SOLD
2005 Honda CR-V 2.0i Executive auto
2001 Ford Puma 1.7i Black

#48 User is offline   dawesy 

Posted 04 March 2010 - 04:54 PM

doh not sure what i was thinking of :blush: obviously it was my left leg:wacko:
my other toy has 470bhp

#49 User is offline   rapid rupio 

Posted 08 March 2010 - 04:41 PM

Hey there where abouts did u get the blanking plug for the wiper motor hole ie off another ford etc or did u have one lying around?

#50 User is offline   Pat_T 

Posted 26 March 2010 - 09:30 AM

I hunted high and low until I eventually found one the right size (~31mm) in a DIY shop!

Sorry for the lack of updates recently, I have been busy purchasing goodies though.

arrived:
2 new wheel rear bearings
new rear axle spacers (mine are corroded)
new ARB droplinks
OMP lower strut brace (not sure if will fit this, with 888's on the front and T1Rs on the back I have got the balance just about perfect at the mo!)
new rear brakes shoes and cylinder
sticker pack from Adam (have fitted these, pics soon!) :)

shortly to be purchased:
new blue HEL brake lines
vinyl rear numberplate
blue cobra bucket seats
pipercross cone filter

once I have all the bits for the rear axle I will get it fitted in one go, and give the underneath a good coat of hammerite, then move onto the front

View PostTyeboi, on 03 March 2010 - 03:31 PM, said:

is it possible to skim the original fly wheel to lighten it up?

Tyeboi, it certainly is possible to have it machined! I have my original one for sale (£20?) if you want one to give it a go... :good:

#51 User is offline   Puma2010 

Posted 26 March 2010 - 04:43 PM

Your car looks awesome. You've done an excellent job with it!

Chris.
Since my first car I have always looked to own cars that would be great to drive, but on a reasonable budget. These are the cars that I have owned over the years, from my first to present:
1. Mk1 Fiesta 1300S | 2. Mk1 Fiesta XR2 | 3. Puma 1.7 in Melina Blue | 4. Mk2 Toyota MR2 GT | 5. Mk3 Cortina 1600L | 6. Honda CRX ESi | 7. Ford Sportka | 8. Honda Civic VTi -S | 9. Toyota Yaris 1.8 SR | 10. Honda Civic 1.8 SE i-vTEC | 11. Puma 1.7 in Moondust Silver

#52 User is offline   Pat_T 

Posted 16 April 2010 - 07:37 AM

Thank you Chris :)

Sorry for the lack of updates! It doesn't mean there has been a lack of progress however!! :D

Recently fitted/done:

sticker pack fitted
customised seatbelt pads
cleaned out the intake system, cleaned the TPS, ICV, throttle body, also flowed the MAF sensor with a dremel
fitted new pipercross cone filter - fancied a change from my pipercross panel, also allowed me to ditch another 1kg or so with all the airbox gubbins

purchased but still to fit (this is growing into a very large pile in my living room!)

2 new wheel rear bearings
new rear axle spacers (mine are corroded)
new ARB droplinks
new rear brakes shoes and cylinder
refit painted rocker cover
OMP front lower strut brace?
wilwood 280mm front brake set up :D
CORBEAU CLUBMAN BUCKET SEATS & LUKE GM-3 POINT HARNESSES :woot2: :woot2:

pics of all this progress soon..

in the meantime here's a photo I took last summer that I've just brightened up in paintshopro:
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Pat_T: 16 April 2010 - 07:37 AM

#53 User is offline   Shilly 

Posted 16 April 2010 - 08:09 AM

Posted Image

they look lush

#54 User is offline   Pat_T 

Posted 16 April 2010 - 08:19 AM

not half!!! ooooh that pic has got me all excited, can't wait to get those beauties on!

cheers John :)

#55 User is offline   Shilly 

Posted 16 April 2010 - 08:24 AM

no worries :D

#56 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 16 April 2010 - 09:17 PM

I thought the jury was out on an induction kit, there is not a lot of room so the cone does not get a great fresh air supply.
Think I would have gone on a diet to shed a few pounds then lost the air box. :)
The FRP airbox mod would have been the route I would have gone personally.
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#57 User is offline   Pat_T 

Posted 19 April 2010 - 07:43 AM

HK, I did have the FRP airbox mod but now the airbox threads have given up again I thought I'd give a cone a try too.

Along with fitting the new cone I have cleaned and flowed my MAF:

before (well after 5 mins)
Posted Image

after (one hour)
Posted Image

Throttle response immediately seems better with the new bits on but this is probably a combination of brand new filter, gently CLEANING some crud of the sensor resistors with a cotton bud (probably should be something to regulary checked) and hopefully a slight improvement from the flowing. I didn't go to the lengths some have gone to with removing metal from the MAF.

At the same time I also cleaned and serviced the ICV, TPS and throttle body.

Inside I have made these custom rear seatbelt pads:
Posted Image
which I am very happy with.

Fitting my Corbeau bucket seats and Luke Harnesses should now be imminent, also picked up the Wilwoods off John at the weeekend :good: they are in great condition, but I may look to get them anodised or powder coated in blue.

#58 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 19 April 2010 - 08:12 AM

I may check my Scroth harness instruction manual as I think from memory it made a comment about seat belt pads.
They do look very smart pads, not at all garish :)

The airbox threads do seem to be a week point, mine are still OK and if I need to I will follow Al's guide on using stuff to make them bite again.
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#59 User is offline   t783vkj 

Posted 22 April 2010 - 07:53 PM

How much have you spent on project so far?-Im colourblind too!
No seriously,Im using a k&n filter as well,you get plenty of cold air thru the hole in the inner wheel arch where air box was with inner arches removed. Theres also enough room to take a cold feed from behind the grill beside the radiator,I found the flexy duct you get for 8" bathroom extractor fan works well.Have you decided on a cam profile?Im guessing they're on the list.

This post has been edited by t783vkj: 22 April 2010 - 08:12 PM

#60 User is offline   Pat_T 

Posted 23 April 2010 - 07:23 AM

t783vkj: when it's finished I will count up all the ££! :wacko: August 9th is the deadline!

No plans now to fit cams or an FRP inlet or any of that, I do want the FRP map though so I can have the 7200rpm rev limit and make the most of my 4-2-1 and de-cat.
(on this note can someone tell me if my ECU is the right kind? its an analogue dash and I only have one lambda?)
The only other plans for the engine are new leads and plugs and another oil change in the near future..

STILL waiting on the seats and harnesses :( there has been a delay with the webbing for the harnesses but Corbeau/Luke promise me they should be shipped by Tuesday..

Thanks to Harry (volcomstone411) I have some tailored subframes ready for when they arrive.

This week I have been spending the evenings rebuilding the Wilwood calipers which have come up absolutely stunning:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Just need to decide on pad compound (there are a number available) and order a couple of new bleed screws from Rally design, but they're basically ready to go.
Cleaned and packaged away until ready to fit:
Posted Image

hopefully another update next week! :)

This post has been edited by Pat_T: 23 April 2010 - 07:24 AM

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic