Pumapeople: Rear Disc Conversion - Pumapeople

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rear Disc Conversion

#1 User is offline   SteveH 

• Group: Members

Posted 30 March 2007 - 12:50 PM

Hiya, I want to convert the Drums on the back of my Mrs Puma to disc's, does anybody know what parts I can use and what there off? PS I want to do the conversion myself, seems simply enough! Any help would be very welcome, Cheers.

#2 User is offline   MattC 

Posted 30 March 2007 - 12:53 PM

I wouldn't bother. The puma's front brakes are more than up to it, and the rears don't do much anyway.

Plus you'll have a minefield to cross with the abs sensorss and the like. I would spend the money on some good quality aftermarket discs and pads up front....

#3 User is offline   Dan 

• View gallery

Posted 30 March 2007 - 12:55 PM

I think the ones on the FRP are off a bog standard focus. I wouldn't bother either, but if you change the wheels, the drums do look awful.

#4 User is offline   1an 

Posted 30 March 2007 - 03:28 PM

QUOTE (Dan @ Mar 30 2007, 01:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the ones on the FRP are off a bog standard focus. I wouldn't bother either, but if you change the wheels, the drums do look awful.

thats true, thats going to be my problem when i change the wheels, finding something the hised the ugly drums

#5 User is offline   steve18n 

Posted 30 March 2007 - 03:37 PM

Don't listen to them, it is worth doing. The drums really do very little, and whilst the majority of the braking is still done up front the rear discs significantly increase braking power. They also increase braking stability and stop the car squirming around at the front under heavy braking.

I have used the Focus Mk1/1.5 2.0 rear disc setup. Only the 2.0 and ST170 have rear discs. You need the hubs, stub axles, handbrake cable, calliper, carriers, bolts, discs & pads. I got my setup for £135 plus £40 for a new handbrake cable from Ford. The 2.0 discs are 253mm and will just go under 14"s but are much better under 15"s. The ST170 uses the same stuff including the calliper, but the discs are ~280mm and it has larger carriers to accommodate this. I'm fairly certain the Focus RS has the same setup as the ST170. I would think that the ~280's would fit under 15"s but the smaller discs are sufficient.

You can also use the rear disc setup from an FRP which is the same/similar to the 2.0 Focus. The ST150 also has rear discs that can be used, I think they are ~253mm as well. I would recommend braided hoses for stiffening up the pedal. It's also worth mentioning that there will be a fair amount of dead pedal travel before they bite, due to the master cylinder being not deisgned for the larger pistons now being used. When they do bite they are excellent though. What front brakes do you currently have? I've been running ZS up front with the rear discs but I've just got an ST150 280mm setup to fit.

For a guide on how to do the conversion look at the link on UKFN: >>CLICKY<<

As for ABS, don't bother with it as it's not worth the hassle and you don't need it.

#6 User is offline   BOK 

Posted 30 March 2007 - 05:20 PM

QUOTE (steve18n @ Mar 30 2007, 04:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As for ABS, don't bother with it as it's not worth the hassle and you don't need it.

That's an interesting opinion blink.gif

#7 User is offline   volcomstone411 

Posted 30 March 2007 - 05:37 PM

QUOTE (BOK @ Mar 30 2007, 06:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's an interesting opinion blink.gif

quite a good point, i hated abs...rather skid around something, than drive around it, much more fun laugh.gif
Posted Image
All stuff puma - puma technical & all things rebuilt...
See my website for Snow School Information

#8 User is offline   sikora 

Posted 30 March 2007 - 06:11 PM

How would you skid round something?? ABS allows you to steer when the wheels have locked up wacko.gif

#9 User is offline   BOK 

Posted 30 March 2007 - 07:03 PM

QUOTE (sikora @ Mar 30 2007, 07:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How would you skid round something?? ABS allows you to steer when the wheels have locked up wacko.gif

Interesting fact wink.gif

The only time you wouldn't want ABS is maybe on the track but how intrusive it is varies from car to car.
I used to hate ABS and airbags etc... until I was in a position to have actually benefitted from them.
Like wearing seatbelts, the problem is without ABS you can't then choose to have it the millisecond you've realised you've locked your wheels and about to hit another car/tree/etc...

No one should ever need ABS in an ideal World but (unfortunately?) you have to share it with others.

#10 User is offline   Chris C 

Posted 30 March 2007 - 07:33 PM

QUOTE (steve18n @ Mar 30 2007, 04:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't listen to them, it is worth doing. The drums really do very little, and whilst the majority of the braking is still done up front the rear discs significantly increase braking power. They also increase braking stability and stop the car squirming around at the front under heavy braking.

Yea but u can do wicked handbrake turns on your council estate with power drums init!...Bo

personally i would not waste the money on the rear disc conversion, i done this conversion on my other car all i found its that the rear brakes lock up before the fronts!, yes this is fun for left foot braking.... but is bloody scary when somebody pulls out infront of you on a wet road.

get a proper bias valve if you do not have ABS and want a rear disc conversion.

PS ABS is worth the hassle on a road car

This post has been edited by Chris C: 30 March 2007 - 07:34 PM

#11 User is offline   RED IMPACT 

Posted 30 March 2007 - 09:20 PM

My brakes are shi*te...

Mind you i do wanna get them upgraded/changed!

D'oh! - But the blue LED conversion is so much more appealing...! wink.gif

#12 User is offline   steve18n 

Posted 30 March 2007 - 11:42 PM

My comment about not needing ABS was directed at the rear only. My rear wheels don't lock up under heavy braking so it simply isn't needed. It would still be there on the front if your car already has ABS which is where it's really going to make the difference. As for the guy who was locking his wheels, your tyres must have been crap.

PS: Chris C, what size are your front discs on the rear disc car?

This post has been edited by steve18n: 30 March 2007 - 11:44 PM

#13 User is offline   BOK 

Posted 31 March 2007 - 06:56 AM

QUOTE (steve18n @ Mar 31 2007, 12:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As for the guy who was locking his wheels, your tyres must have been crap.

You can't defeat the laws of physics...or maybe you can but I can't ja_stupid.gif

You'll have to disable the traction control along with the ABS, or just start removing fuses.

#14 User is offline   steve18n 

Posted 31 March 2007 - 10:56 AM

QUOTE (BOK @ Mar 31 2007, 07:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You can't defeat the laws of physics...or maybe you can but I can't ja_stupid.gif

You'll have to disable the traction control along with the ABS, or just start removing fuses.

It's not impossible to lock the rear wheels but it simply doesn't happen, even under heavy braking. You would have to literally stamp on the pedal.

You wouldn't have to do anything with the traction control as it only works on the front anyway. The ABS would only not work on the rear.

#15 User is offline   AdamFRP 

Posted 31 March 2007 - 11:28 AM

Under HEAVY braking almost all of the cr's weightgets tranferred to the front wheels so it is entirely possible to lock the rears as there isn't much keeping them down on the road.

Don't Puma's have EBD?? That should stop it from happening.
2002 Honda Accord Type R

#16 User is offline   steve18n 

Posted 31 March 2007 - 01:09 PM

Pumas don't have EBD. I am simply speaking from experience.

#17 User is offline   SteveH 

Posted 31 March 2007 - 06:09 PM

Thanks for all the reply's.
The reason I am asking is because the Puma is my partners car, I drive a Toyota Celica which stops beautfully, and although I am hugely impressed with the Puma I genuinly think the brakes are some of the worst in any car I've driven. You have to stand on the brakes and it does squim around. My intensions are to fit EBC disc's and Green stuff pads to the front and do the rear disc conversion, I was also looking into stiffing the suspenion.

Do you think this is the right way to go? Is it worth fitting bigger disc's to the front? How many of you have done the disc conversion and is it worth it?

#18 User is offline   Dan 

• View gallery

Posted 31 March 2007 - 06:14 PM

What year is the puma? If it's pre2000 it might be more worthwhile upgrading to post2000 spec.

#19 User is offline   SteveH 

Posted 31 March 2007 - 06:19 PM

QUOTE (Dan @ Mar 31 2007, 07:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What year is the puma? If it's pre2000 it might be more worthwhile upgrading to post2000 spec.

97, any Idea on cost? do you mean just front or back aswell?

#20 User is offline   Chris C 

Posted 31 March 2007 - 06:47 PM

QUOTE (steve18n @ Mar 31 2007, 11:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's not impossible to lock the rear wheels but it simply doesn't happen, even under heavy braking. You would have to literally stamp on the pedal.

You wouldn't have to do anything with the traction control as it only works on the front anyway. The ABS would only not work on the rear.

try braking hard in a 750kg 106 rallye tongue.gif , that consists of a engine, 1 seat and a steering wheel

im using Goodyear eagle f1 tyres so hardly crap!

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic