Pumapeople: Juddering And Engine Light - Pumapeople

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Juddering And Engine Light

#1 User is offline   Pandora 

• Group: Members

Posted 21 April 2007 - 08:24 AM

Just set out for the gym this morning and my Puma started to feel funny a couple of mins from home. Juddering when moving and then the engine indicator light came on. I turned round and re-started the car. Better for a couple of mins then the engine light came on again. Drove home by which time the engine light was just flashing. Any ideas? Spark plugs maybe?

I'm a car dunce and would like to try easy things before calling a garage - I wouldn't fancy driving it far with the light on and a tow will cost mea fair bit I imagine.

Car MOT'd last week and had a new break pipe but was otherwise OK. Drove fine this past week up to and including last night.

Ta in advance for any help.

#2 User is offline   amino 

• View gallery

Posted 21 April 2007 - 08:28 AM

edit.

was thinking maybe oil, just check incase

This post has been edited by amino: 21 April 2007 - 08:29 AM

All men are created equal. They are all vastly inferior to Jack Bauer.

#3 User is offline   Pandora 

Posted 21 April 2007 - 08:38 AM

Had forgotten to add that was the first thing checked - it's fine. Same level as always - it's not a thirsty cat! Car last serviced a little over a year ago.

If it helps I've got a 1.7 Y reg with just under 28k on the clock.

Errrm the car has a bit of a smell - the inside has been a bit pongy for a couple of days (not me!) I had put this down to the farmers muck spreading near work. Dunno if this is related - catalyst?

This post has been edited by Pandora: 21 April 2007 - 08:35 AM

#4 User is offline   Pandora 

Posted 21 April 2007 - 11:49 AM

Update - if any can help!

Changed spark plugs - gap was almost 3mm and they didn't look like they had aver been changed despite having had services prior to me buying the car. The engine light has now gone out BUT still juddering and a weird smell coming from bonnet.

Any ideas?

#5 User is offline   pumanurse 

Posted 21 April 2007 - 11:57 AM

If its a misfire it could be the coil pack or a HT lead problem. Don't think this would account for the funny smell tough.

Would a misfire result in incompletely burnt fuel being thrown down the exhaust which could result in the sooty deposits (think you mentioned them in another thread) ?? (Only a thought, not scientifically based laugh.gif )

This post has been edited by pumanurse: 21 April 2007 - 11:58 AM

No Comment

#6 User is offline   Pandora 

Posted 21 April 2007 - 12:23 PM

yeah it probably could. Just trying to find somewhere open that can chuck it on the computer to see what the engine is recording as the fault.

#7 User is offline   sleeky 

Posted 21 April 2007 - 01:35 PM

Where are you based, someone local might have diagnostic gear you can use.

Ford Puma 1.7

#8 User is offline   Pandora 

Posted 21 April 2007 - 02:03 PM

Black Country. My local garage doesn't have the guy in today to do diagnostics but they said it was most likely the coil pack but wouldn't advise doing anything until diagnostics had been run. Tried loads of local garages round here but most are shut saturday or fully booked. Have sent it out with hubby to the local AA authorised service centre in town as they can fit it in today - £40 as opposed to the £35 my local guy would charge, found one place that was £20 but they were booked up til the middle of next week.

#9 User is offline   Pandora 

Posted 21 April 2007 - 03:01 PM

Grrr the diagnostics didn't pull up any codes so stuck at square one. Car has now been taken elsewhere to check the coil pack. If nothing can be found it looks like a day off on Monday and a trip to my local garage

#10 User is offline   Pandora 

Posted 21 April 2007 - 04:40 PM

Latest update.

Misfiring still.
New spark plug farthest right as you look at them (with the shortest lead) has black soot on the bottom of it.
Air filter seems to be making a chugging noise which turns to a bang when driving - misfiring through this too.
Coil pack not tested.

Looks like a day off work on Monday to get it sorted.

#11 User is offline   Pandora 

Posted 22 April 2007 - 03:53 PM

PROBLEM SOLVED. Replaced ignition coil in case anyone else ever gets this problem. Car now running as per usual.

#12 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 23 April 2007 - 07:59 PM

that's good.
seeing it is over due a service may as well get that organised smile.gif
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#13 User is offline   Pandora 

Posted 24 April 2007 - 07:07 PM

I'm going to self service and do oil and filters seeing as I've done spark plugs. Gotta find out what's up with the handbrake now - never rains but it pours!!

#14 User is offline   gatito 

Posted 26 April 2007 - 07:26 AM

I have a 1.7 year 97, without engine check light, 5 days ago my car began to judder, to have irregular idle and any power, not able to move without revving a lot the engine.

Could it be the hego sensor?

My doubt is because, once the water temperature is ok, the engine seems to work properly, it´s possible that with less performance, but regular idle and not evident problem when revving.

If I restart with hot engine, no evidence of problems!

In the past I had problems in any situation (cold/hot water engine) and to replace the ignition coil was the solution.

Any idea?

#15 User is offline   Clawz 

Posted 26 April 2007 - 07:34 PM

HEGO problems are usually coupled with extraordinary fuel usage (150 miles on a tank) and a black, soothy exhaust.

Your problem sounds more like an ignition problem smile.gif
Jon
Melina blue 1.7 (11-1997)
Honda VTR 1000 SP-2 (2004)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic