Pumapeople: Clutch Replacement Cost - Pumapeople

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Clutch Replacement Cost (and any recommendations in north Wiltshire?)

#1 User is offline   ryanjjones 

• Group: Members

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:22 PM

At 95,000m the clutch is quite worn and will need a swap soon.

Seen PumaBuild do a fixed price at, probably £292 which I guess is fair. If they were local I'd seriously consider them.
I'm not sure I can be bothered for a DIY fix as it does look fairly tough.

What sort of prices do you guys pay?

And Any recommendations in north Wiltshire? (15m east of Bath)

This post has been edited by ryanjjones: 06 September 2012 - 12:23 PM

#2 User is offline   jim2007xx 

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:44 PM

Changing a clutch in these isn't difficult.. just takes time and can be a little fiddly.. I done a 1.6 clutch last year and it taken around 3 hours to do it, only because I was taking my time as I didn't want to mess it up lol. Cost me £37 for the clutch and £26 for the cylinder. :cool:

#3 User is offline   ryanjjones 

Posted 06 September 2012 - 05:03 PM

View Postjim2007xx, on 06 September 2012 - 12:44 PM, said:

Changing a clutch in these isn't difficult.. just takes time and can be a little fiddly.. I done a 1.6 clutch last year and it taken around 3 hours to do it, only because I was taking my time as I didn't want to mess it up lol. Cost me £37 for the clutch and £26 for the cylinder. :cool:

If thats the price for a replacement clutch and bearings, and 3 hours for a newbie, then I too would consider DIY, but 3 hours seems a bit keen and I can't see any clutch for £37 let alone bearings (which I understand need to be changed too) and gearbox oil. Would be keen to hear where you can get it for that sort of money?

#4 User is offline   Ginger Tom 

Posted 06 September 2012 - 05:56 PM

Bearings? Which bearings are you referring to?

#5 User is offline   jim2007xx 

Posted 06 September 2012 - 06:34 PM

View Postryanjjones, on 06 September 2012 - 05:03 PM, said:

If thats the price for a replacement clutch and bearings, and 3 hours for a newbie, then I too would consider DIY, but 3 hours seems a bit keen and I can't see any clutch for £37 let alone bearings (which I understand need to be changed too) and gearbox oil. Would be keen to hear where you can get it for that sort of money?

I got both the clutch and cylider/bearing from eBay but from different sellers. Re-use the gearbox oil.

#6 User is offline   Kizza 

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:54 PM

i did my clutch when the engine wasnt in the car and it old took 10 mins to change it all, the hardest part is getting to the clutch to change it and if you look at it like its only nuts and bolts and you reassemble in the reverse to dismantle and ensure its all tight and all the plugs are connected then you cant go wrong. if you come up with a problem then research on the net, everything you need will be somewere on the net. for the cheapest clutch parts ebay is the best but they are cheap parts. all the best with you DIY clutch change

cheers kieran

#7 User is offline   ryanjjones 

Posted 09 September 2012 - 05:14 PM

Ah sod it.
You've convinced me! DIY it is.

WHat do I need? 2-piece clutch kit? 3 piece? Ford or eBay? And someone mentoined changing the cylinder at the same time?

#8 User is offline   Kizza 

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:50 PM

well for almost the price of a ford clutch you could get an uprated paddle clutch on ebay or for nearly half that you could get a cheap one from ebay. i would change the cylinder at the same time because if it goes sometime in the future you will have to do the same job again. ive bought a cheap clutch for mine for the time being but im goin to be changing it at a later date. depending on if you have an engine crane i would unbolt, unplug and remove all coolent pipes everything from the engine and gearbox including the rear gearbox mount. then take off the front wheels and front brakes and lower the car to the floor. unbolt the two top mounts and then jack the car back up (high enough to get the gearbox off) remove the gearbox and then you can see the clutch and cylinder. remove and replace all the parts you want after its changed reverse the whole thing. im sure there are some more/better info on how to change the clutch but im a drive way DIY'er and ive changed many engine's and never used an engine crane. you should only need a selection of regular tools to do the job i suppose the only other tool is a torque wrench. you should be able to complete in about 10-15 hours if you take your time i changed my engine by myself but i would get somebody to give you a hand if you have never done anything like this before

im not 100% sure but if you look at the mk4 fiesta haynes manual on how to change a 1250 zetec clutch it should be very close to how to change a clutch in the puma.

cheap clutch

mid range cluch

expensive clutch

cheers kieran

#9 User is offline   ryanjjones 

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:20 PM

Cheers Kieran.
I had the cheap one in my wish list :) Mid range would be okay but not going to consider high quality ones - car doesn't have long to live! Any advice on cylinder? Mauybe http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3f0fd586f0 ?
And of course, extra like fluid will need doing.
15 hours thought? Bit of a change from the 2nd post of 3!
I'm arranging a mate :)

#10 User is offline   Bentleya 

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:47 PM

Puma clutch slave cylinder - £59.81 ex VAT

Puma 1.7 clutch kit - £80.05 ex VAT

Parts from ford come to £167.83 with the VAT.

Plus 2.8 litres of 75w-90 Gearbox oil Ford Spec (WSD-M2C200-C). Finis Number for Ford oil: 1045737

#11 User is offline   Kizza 

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:20 AM

yeah 15 hours was a bit much i think. but it also depends on how tooled up you are with engine cranes/lift, numatic tools and a good knowledge of what your doing. i would think if you havent done it before to take your time you should beable to do it in less than 10 hours by yourself and even less with a frend helping but its like most things the more you do it the faster you get. ive got a mate of mine that can do a rover k series head gasket in as little as 4 hours and on the first one it took him over twice that and he's a fully qualified mechanic. on the side of the wheel cylinder i would be carefull i bought a cheap one from ebay and on the instal one of the tabs broke off the fix it to the gearbox, the internal diameter wasnt big enough to fit correctly so i got another one and altered it as work. you could of sanded it down easly enough to make it fit and if the car hasnt got long left then a cheap one should be good enough for what you want. you will need to rebleed your clutch and also some more dot 4 brake fluid, its the same tank as the brakes. gearbox oil isnt needed unless you want to change it (a tiny bit of gearbox oil my leak out of the box though) any quality of oil as long as its 75w-90 should be ok to top up but its like with everything in the car game you get what you pay for. you will be looking at less then £70 and you know its all done properly ;) hope this help

cheers kieran

#12 User is offline   Dogsbody 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:37 PM

Nortree motors in Melksham have done 2 Puma clutches for me now.
Call and ask for a quote.

You can say Graham with the Racing Puma recommended them and ask for a discount ;)
I only live a mile up the road from them.
MK4 XR3i
Mk3 XR3i
R Reg 1.7 Puma
T Reg 1.7 Lux Puma
Now its Racing Puma 072

Graham

Posted Image

#13 User is offline   ryanjjones 

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:47 PM

View PostDogsbody, on 10 September 2012 - 04:37 PM, said:

Nortree motors in Melksham have done 2 Puma clutches for me now.
Call and ask for a quote.

You can say Graham with the Racing Puma recommended them and ask for a discount ;)
I only live a mile up the road from them.

Really? I live in Melksham - not seen a racing Puma around.
What sort of price does he come up to? Called anoter local garage and they said £300+vat

After chatting to my mate, he reckons it could be a day of pain fitting DIY lol! So sort of said pay someone to do it...

edit: Is that your Puma pictured on their website? http://www.nortreese...co.uk/parts.php

This post has been edited by ryanjjones: 11 September 2012 - 03:57 PM

#14 User is offline   h1jjy 

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:37 AM

The other halfs StreetKA is in need of a new clutch. (same clutch and gearbox as a puma) The time in auto data is 3.6 hours to change and most places will charge that (even if they take less time)
Best price i had is £180+VAT the worst is £375 inc Vat. So it does pay to shop around

This post has been edited by h1jjy: 12 September 2012 - 03:37 AM

#15 User is offline   ryanjjones 

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:43 AM

View Posth1jjy, on 12 September 2012 - 03:37 AM, said:

The other halfs StreetKA is in need of a new clutch. (same clutch and gearbox as a puma) The time in auto data is 3.6 hours to change and most places will charge that (even if they take less time)
Best price i had is £180+VAT the worst is £375 inc Vat. So it does pay to shop around

You never called Ford in Trowbridge then!
Considering they are the experts....

£539.59 for the clutch
+ £195 for the slave cylinder.
4.7 hours

When I laughed in his face he said £495 all in.... I won't ever be calling them again...

#16 User is offline   Kizza 

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:23 AM

£734.59 to change a clutch and cylinder!!!!! and thats why my cars have never been into any garage for any work done and never will be doin (unless im not paying that is ;) ) hahahah

#17 User is offline   Dogsbody 

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:48 PM

View Postryanjjones, on 11 September 2012 - 03:47 PM, said:

Really? I live in Melksham - not seen a racing Puma around.
What sort of price does he come up to? Called anoter local garage and they said £300+vat

After chatting to my mate, he reckons it could be a day of pain fitting DIY lol! So sort of said pay someone to do it...

edit: Is that your Puma pictured on their website? http://www.nortreese...co.uk/parts.php

Lol Yes it is, Quite old though. My car has had black wheels and a Evo rear spoiler for about 18 months.
My plate is K9 FRP, the other one they look after is FRP166.

I actually live in Beanacre.
I use my FRP as a daily driver, but usually running between work in Chippenham and back.
Spotted a Milly in Sainsbury's car park tonight.

Try QTech in Bumper farm Chippenham.
John is very reasonable and looks after my daughters and wifes cars.
MK4 XR3i
Mk3 XR3i
R Reg 1.7 Puma
T Reg 1.7 Lux Puma
Now its Racing Puma 072

Graham

Posted Image

#18 User is offline   Dogsbody 

Posted 15 September 2012 - 10:23 AM

I have just dropped into Nortree and had a word.
Haggle a bit on the price they give you.
The chap who runs the place said make an offer for the whole job £250-£300 and see what they say.
When I had my LSD fitted there, we agreed £300 all in for the job which they did.
That required a full gear box strip and rebuild.
MK4 XR3i
Mk3 XR3i
R Reg 1.7 Puma
T Reg 1.7 Lux Puma
Now its Racing Puma 072

Graham

Posted Image

#19 User is offline   ryanjjones 

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:56 PM

View PostDogsbody, on 15 September 2012 - 10:23 AM, said:

I have just dropped into Nortree and had a word.
Haggle a bit on the price they give you.
The chap who runs the place said make an offer for the whole job £250-£300 and see what they say.
When I had my LSD fitted there, we agreed £300 all in for the job which they did.
That required a full gear box strip and rebuild.

Cheers!
Mucho apprecaited - £250-300 is a good price, and local, and we like keeping businesses local.
edit: Any idea on who you spoke to, or is it a one-man-band?

This post has been edited by ryanjjones: 16 September 2012 - 07:15 PM

#20 User is offline   Dogsbody 

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:42 PM

The owner is Malcolm, but the chief mechanic is Alan, he suggested making a offer for the job.
MK4 XR3i
Mk3 XR3i
R Reg 1.7 Puma
T Reg 1.7 Lux Puma
Now its Racing Puma 072

Graham

Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic