Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:17 AM

Lacking in tramp stamps:
Posted Image

That's better!

This post has been edited by StevenRaith: 18 December 2012 - 10:59 PM

#22 User is offline   AndyReact 

• Group: Members

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:10 PM

have you taken the lenses off your rear lights?

#23 User is offline   StevenRaith 

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:12 PM

No, trick of the light!

Gonna wet sand them and machine polish them eventually though, which will hopefully give the same effect more of the time...

#24 User is offline   StevenRaith 

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:08 PM

So, I bought four multipole spark plugs the other weekend with the plan of fitting them when I was in the mood.

I was in the mood tonight. Except the idiot previous owner has rounded off the engine cover allan screws.

So it's borrow a drill time and order some screws time, too.

Also confirmed that I have a leak at the back of the rocker cover - have decided that I'll replace that, and the screws, and the spark plugs and HT coils all at once.

How hard can it be?

#25 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:47 PM

tHERE IS A GUIDE IN THE wIKI ON THE ROCKER GASKET REPLACEMENT, IN FACT THERE ARE TWO.
mAKE SURE TO ORDER NEW RUBber washers that hold down the top as these will have good bite. The part numbers are also in the parts article in the Wiki I think.
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#26 User is offline   StevenRaith 

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:16 PM

Aye, saw that - have a few days off coming up so will try to get around to it then.

PS, Capslock, we've heard of it? ;)

#27 User is offline   StevenRaith 

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:01 PM

Rocker cover gasket replaced - car no longer smells of burning oil, which was pooling between the camshafts in the rocker cover. I'm not even joking, it wasn't overspill as that wouldn't reach the right hand bank.

Twas too cold to do much more so swopped out the spark plugs for new Bosch four-electrode jobs (they look cool, it must be good for a few Bhp, yes?) and did the Forum Recommended technique for the gasket - bead of Instant Gasket (good to 260degC) in the rocker cover recess, thin bead round the head, run it back home, not a jot of oil out of it, not a single whiff of oil and it's quieter with the bonnet open - proper sealing helps acoustics in total non shocker.

No apparent wear on the camgear etc - very pleased with this. Will look at checking the tappets another time now that I know how to do the gasket myself.

Minty.

Need to replace the HT leads though, as one was knacked - modded it with a pair of scissors to get it to clip on, will order that tomorrow, no doubt replace it on Thursday.

Oil change and MAF cleaning will be done as soon as the weather perks up.

Borrowed a hand steam cleaner from the old man, hoping that will get rid of the crud in the corners of the front wheel spokes.

Other than that, ticking along nicely, getting 180-200 miles out of some very, very hard driven tanks which I'm hoping will improve with MAF cleaning and rocker cover being properly sealed, generally pretty pleased with the little yellow monster. :)

#28 User is offline   StevenRaith 

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:02 PM

Oh, and didn't replace the rubber washes - seemed to bite well enough and no leaks, is this something I need to panic about or should I just replace them at some point when I can be harris'd?

#29 User is offline   StevenRaith 

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:16 PM

I've noticed that after long, fast runs, I get quite noticable rattling off throttle and when engaging gears - it's noticable in neutral.

Not such a problem when cold (barely audible).

I'd assume a big end would be hte other way around so I think it might be the clutch release bearing (or possibly a layshaft bearing, although that seems unlikely).

Is 5000 miles a record for destroying a CRB? Clutch still bites nice and low, and I haven't been doing any standing starts or owt, although that baulky third gear has been misshifted a few times - sound horrible when you do that at 80mph and miss the slot!

#30 User is offline   StevenRaith 

Posted 09 June 2012 - 02:04 PM

I've decided to ignore the rattling for now, it's not affecting anything.

The Saisnburies mechanoflapwash thing decided to rip my wing mirror off however, so a silver replacement is temporarily in place till I can get up to the Ford dealer and get them to quote me happy on a replacement - then send that to Sainsburies (got a claim number etc) and get them to pay for it, or at least 75% of it, with any luck.

Other than that, nothing exciting. still haven't fixed the boot release solenoid either...

#31 User is offline   StevenRaith 

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:16 PM

It never stops. Clever boy here assume that after the Big MOT, the garage had aligned the suspension following the install of the lower arms.

Nope. three months down the line, the front tyres are ruined - properly. New boots, tracking and balancing and it's sweet as a nut (it was better after the lower arms were put on due to the fact the bushes were whole, hence me not realising...) but I'm £160 worse off. That's what I get for casually inspecting my wear pattern with a half turn of lock rather than checking the full width - I was down to the canvas. Spotted on Sunday, fixed on Monday (IE last night, this morning - I'm not cheap when it comes to the important stuff!)

Eight degrees of toe out to the left, two to the right. Garage asked me if I'd crashed it, it was so far out. Pointed out the MOT work, and they understood.

This is on top of the poorly refitted exhaust, and the broken clutch position switch which was tucked away out of sight, I might add.

Furious about that, but best thing I can do about it is not to get lawyered up and fight the garage for the £160 it owes me, but to hit them where it hurts, in the wallet - my dad is no longer going to use them (he had his own doubts - the above confirmed them) and he's going to tell his friends - half a dozen of them go there for servicing and MOT - and no-one at my work will touch them with a barge pole any more - a couple of my lot used to take their cars there.

What pisses me off the most is that it was utterly, utterly avoidable - if they had aligned the car properly, if they had told me to get it aligned if they coudn't, if I had been keeping closer tabs on the wear (I pride myself on being smarter than the average punter mechanically - which admittadly isn't saying much, but you get the drift), then I could have had £160 for better things. Like a stainless steel exhaust that I've been telling myself I can't justify. Fvck. :rant:

Courtyards Car Centre in Scarborough - avoid avoid avoid.

On a more positive note, Boro Tyres in Scarbados might not be the cheapest Emporium of Zorsts and Rubber, but I genuinely can't grumble at the price, or the speed of the turnaround - called 'em in the morning, they held a slot for me for 'around lunchtime', car dropped off at midday, call ten minutes later asking if the car had been crashed or summat to throw the tracking out so badly, new tyres fitted, balanced, aligned by half past one. Aye, might be twenty or thirty quid pricier than KwikFit or a mobile install after purchasing on BlackCircles etc, but I didn't mind given the quick turnaround, good communication and genial, friendly attitude.

I was a bit pissed at the £300 bill for four boots last year (they remembered the car - hence wondering if I'd crashed it!) but this time, hands up, very pleased with 'em.

Might get than Mintex exhaust next month and have it posted to 'em to cheer me up - put some money onto something that I want, rather than something I need :good:

Oh, and on an ever more positive note, by Christ does the Puma have a pointy nose once it's set up properly - I now understand the meaning of the term 'chuckable' in it's fullest sense. Proper accurate in the bends, with real adjustability.

I dare say as I'm not scrubbing a total of ten degrees when going in a straight line, I'll probably see an improvement in MPG, too....

#32 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:36 PM

at least now it drives like it should :) even if you got your wallet burnt :mellow:
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#33 User is offline   StevenRaith 

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:00 PM

Karma has kicked in - a guy on the Evo magazine forum works in the insurance industry and has been Quoting Members Happy recently, so as it's renewal time, he's quoted me not so much happy, as bloody ecstatic.

Aviva want £1099 (newish driver, I am) and will only give me one years NCB.

With documentation from work (been driving there for two years, no incidents) my mate is happy to give me two years NCB, and has quoted me £750 with some business milage, european cover, unlimited windscreen cover (quickclear screen, innit...) and like-for-like mods thrown in! He has a Puma himself, which helps ;)

So that's the tyres paid for, and possibly even some rust repair....!

Little Puma will have a new insurer come the end of the month as I can't see Aviva shaving a full third off their quote with the same level of cover.

#34 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:36 PM

That sounds very good when comparing so no wonder you are ecstatic :D

#35 User is offline   StevenRaith 

Posted 17 June 2012 - 06:51 PM

Less ecstatic this evening, took the car for it's first proper drive since getting the tyres sorted, and the brakes have comprehensively crapped themselves at the front end. Need to pull the wheels off and find out why they are grumbling like mad and scraping when off.

Knowing my luck the caliper will have popped, but it does seem to be braking OK in terms of stopping power, not lost any fluid so hopefully it's just crap in the pads and fresh ones will fix it.

Hopefully...

Really starting to lose patience with this car now.

#36 User is offline   StevenRaith 

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:40 PM

Feeling a tad more sanguine now - tis just the drivers side ARB drop link that has come free at the bottom, which explains the nasty noises on both sides of the car - ARB being free-er than it should be. Will probably order a pair of cheap ones of eBeg for now.

Will have a crack at fitting them meself I think, how hard can it be?

Edit: Doesn't matter how hard it is, a closer look (parked on the kerb, crawled under, natch - I know health and safety) suggests the ARB hasn't actually come free - it just looked like it had; the ABS sensor holder thing pops out a bit on full lock. Damn you, deceptive ancillary parts.

Anyway, the ARB thing has made me think that it's something crosswise (or that has direct contact with something crosswise) that is causing the noise, so got somewhere to start looking once I finally get my hands on a trolley jack on somewhere that isn't a hill.

This post has been edited by StevenRaith: 19 June 2012 - 08:14 PM

#37 User is offline   StevenRaith 

Posted 01 July 2012 - 04:01 PM

Well, for reference, it would be the brake pads - fitted 3000 miles ago - that were the problem. IE they were down to the metal. On both sides. Quite how that happened I have no idea, it's not like I track it or do five stops from 100mph on the way to work every day. The calipers were messy though, so it might be that hitting some rough crap in the roads has caused both of them to sieze/bind badly, bad enough to pre-heat the pads so that big stops take mm at a time off them, but not so bad that you notice it rolling in neutral/on the clutch.

So discs and pads changed for Bosch units by the local tyre fitters (which are rubbish and fade like a mofo), calipers cleaned up a bit, brakes working again, as of a couple of weeks ago.

Seeing how easy it is to put 280s in there (and my new insurers being pretty laid back about mods) has got me thinking about 280mm setup with DOT5 fluid...might need discs on the back too to help with the bias. Will see.

Anyway, next step, torque link from the gearbox is pretty feckless - going to source one of 'em and get it fitted. Then start looking at what else wants doing!

#38 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:56 PM

May not need the discs on the rear, many run with just uprated fronts.

#39 User is offline   CeReD 

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:04 PM

i'm running 280s up-front, and they are considerably better than the 260s.

get a set of 280s and some Earl's Racing braided hoses from PJE Performance, you'll think you're running a set of four-pots compared...

I've got OEM ford pads & disks on mine, they're good, but can fade pretty fast, but even when they're cooked they out-perform the 260s
Mazda Mx-5 1.8i UK & Ford Puma 1.7VCT
whycantiholdalltheseamazingcars

#40 User is offline   StevenRaith 

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:06 PM

Outperforming the 260s wouldn't be a challenge though, would it?

I think perhaps those Bosches have a looong run in period - fade seems less obvious now, either that or I'm just getting better at hard stops and pedal modulation.

Anyway, changed the lower engine mount (torque link thingy) - £70ish from Ford, it seems surprisingly soft but there's no now wind-up when pulling away or accelerating.

However, now that the car is a bit more refined, there's a swooshing I can hear, and a grumbling under acceleration when turning hard right at low speeds - so bearings, CVs or diff I'd expect.

Got the car up on stands this weekend at a mates to wirebrush the underside and paint it back up (preventative rust treatment - it's a little flaky in parts underneath, nothing major but it won't take much to get it there) so will check those bits as best I can while it's in the air.

I'd expect it's easier to just swop the gearbox than try to replace the diff, and they're cheap enough, and CV joints are CV joints. Bearings - not a problem, have access to pullers, and large hammers/fire if not.

Might just be binding brakes though mixed in with some tramping caused by cheap wishbones/bushes...in which case HALLO 280mm with Mintex 1144s, ford lower arms and powerflex bushes all round.

Enjoying learning lots about How Stuff Works with this car, that's for sure!

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic