Pumapeople: Free Power Gain..!1.7 Vct - Pumapeople

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Free Power Gain..!1.7 Vct

#1 User is offline   pumar1 

• Group: Members

Posted 11 April 2008 - 07:49 PM

I like these little Pumas... happy.gif took the airbox off to change the filter and found a resonator plastic welded to the top cover. Off it came biggrin.gif ...next the air inlet for the standard airbox loops up inside the front wing ohmy.gif sod that, i found a detachable cover facing forward on the lower airbox...off that came as well...breathes much better now and sounds a little rortier..Cost? Nuffink
I dare say you lot already know about these mods, but it made me smile how easy it was..Any other free mods I can use?? I've done the Mondeo brake swap already
Pumas & Bikes...great combination...!

#2 User is online   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 11 April 2008 - 07:49 PM

cheap move biggrin.gif
good tyres biggrin.gif
although not free, where I would start
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#3 User is offline   pumapilot 

• View gallery

Posted 11 April 2008 - 07:54 PM

ECU Update
Posted Image
Signature block created by Colin Y (BOK) & here as my tribute to him
Print your own Pumapeople fliers by clicking here
PUMA GARAGE LIST LINK
Tremona Garage

#4 User is offline   pumar1 

Posted 11 April 2008 - 08:06 PM

QUOTE (pumapilot @ Apr 11 2008, 08:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ECU Update

I said FREE cloth ears!! laugh.gif Although i've heard these 1.7's respond well to an IAT chip...you know, air intake temp. They're the ads that promise "up to 30 BHP gain...." on ebay rolleyes.gif They do improve throttle response though. Anyone else fitted one? huh.gif

#5 User is offline   pumapilot 

• View gallery

Posted 11 April 2008 - 08:24 PM

QUOTE (pumar1 @ Apr 11 2008, 09:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I said FREE cloth ears!! laugh.gif

Well for £50 it was the best mod that i've done - how to make friends & influence people, cloth ears i ask you!!!!!!!!

Posted Image
PUMA GARAGE LIST LINK
Tremona Garage

#6 Guest_Tiggr_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 11 April 2008 - 08:26 PM

He knows you well Pete wink.gif

#7 User is offline   pumar1 

Posted 11 April 2008 - 08:30 PM

QUOTE (pumapilot @ Apr 11 2008, 09:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
how to make friends & influence people, cloth ears i ask you!!!!!!!!

laugh.gif laugh.gif tongue.gif no malice intended...you haven't got cloth ears for real, have you ...!!! ohmy.gif

#8 User is offline   Crystalpuma 

Posted 11 April 2008 - 08:31 PM

Handbags ladies! laugh.gif
"Margaret was right...piracy is our only option"
Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

Nancy & Vix

#9 User is offline   pumapilot 

• View gallery

Posted 12 April 2008 - 08:21 PM

laugh.gif @ Matt.

Pumar1, No offence taken and no i have ears like everybody else, just a few internal bits have been added.

This post has been edited by pumapilot: 12 April 2008 - 08:22 PM

Posted Image
PUMA GARAGE LIST LINK
Tremona Garage

#10 User is offline   Monkfish 

Posted 13 April 2008 - 02:43 AM

QUOTE (pumar1 @ Apr 11 2008, 08:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Stuff about resonator boxes

Pics wink.gif

QUOTE (pumar1 @ Apr 11 2008, 09:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Although i've heard these 1.7's respond well to an IAT chip...you know, air intake temp. They're the ads that promise "up to 30 BHP gain...." on ebay rolleyes.gif They do improve throttle response though. Anyone else fitted one? huh.gif

Please, tell me you're not serious about buying one of those? Do you know how they work? The 'chip' contains a resistor worth about 0.0004 pence which is placed on the air intake temp sensor and fools the ECU into thinking it's -3 outside, even if it's summer, causing it to over-fuel. Seriously seriously gash kit. You'd be better off setting fire to a fiver. dry.gif

#11 User is offline   d170sam 

Posted 13 April 2008 - 05:02 PM

if you want free power gains, strip every thig off you dont need, spare wheel interior etc, gotta be worth a few points on the power to weight ratio
to the steel workers of america: keep reaching for that rainbow!

#12 User is offline   Mork of Ork 

Posted 13 April 2008 - 05:16 PM

I just tried to look and see if I have one of these in my 1.4 but I can't get the airbox lid off. It is getting stuck on the battery tray.

Is there a trick to it or am I expected to take the battery tray out when i want to check the air filter? huh.gif
There are only 10 types of people in the world - those who understand binary, and those that don't.

My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die!

#13 User is offline   scottrennie14 

Posted 14 April 2008 - 11:39 AM

there is a trick to it, but i cant remember how it is done, i just remember forcing it alot lol

#14 User is offline   YOG 

Posted 14 April 2008 - 11:46 AM

QUOTE (Monkfish @ Apr 13 2008, 02:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pics wink.gif

http://www.pumapeople.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=75063&hl=
Rick

The Haynes Fiesta Manual (3397) can answer a lot of your questions.
Posted Image

#15 User is offline   RED IMPACT 

Posted 14 April 2008 - 01:45 PM

QUOTE (scottrennie14 @ Apr 14 2008, 12:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
there is a trick to it, but i cant remember how it is done, i just remember forcing it alot lol

The trick is to undo and remove the bar across the battery as this makes it easier but still requires forcing! smile.gif

#16 User is offline   Mork of Ork 

Posted 14 April 2008 - 02:36 PM

Ok cool thanks, I'll try it later on.
There are only 10 types of people in the world - those who understand binary, and those that don't.

My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die!

#17 User is offline   deeman 

Posted 14 April 2008 - 11:17 PM

I done this mod last week but to be honest im nearly 100% sure its taken some power from 2.5-3.5 rpm and put it lower down around 1.5 rpm, im no expert but im sure its nothing to do with making the exhaust quieter as its not changed it one bit in that department so im assuming its there for a more important reason so it will be going back in tomorrow.

#18 User is offline   scottrennie14 

Posted 15 April 2008 - 06:50 AM

the big problem with these little resistor is when it cause the car to over fuel, the torgue goes right down, esp noticable at the lower revs, stay well clear of them, if it was that easy to get power from the car ford would have done it......

This post has been edited by scottrennie14: 15 April 2008 - 06:50 AM

#19 Guest_jacko_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 15 April 2008 - 04:29 PM

dont know about that!!!! DESIGNERS have a very complicated job to do & it usually ends up being that a car is designed for sweet mrs jones who really doesnt actually like driving!!!! so the flywheel is heavy and the intake / exhaust flows are very restrictive so she doesnt jerk her sweet lickle neck when she plops her 6 inch hi heels on the accelerater by mistake & god forbid she has a loud exhaust; what would the neighbours think if it sounded like she was driving a banger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

not to mention that say, a cylinder head, is very cheap to make quick / effective but a lot more expensive to have it taken to its max efficiency. for example; melted down, cast, slapped on a jig & top & bottom ground flat, valve holes drilled etc....... the ports are just cast in roughly & cheaply.....
would cost an absolute fortune to then add the secondary operations of actually shaping & flowing the ports to get an efficient and powerful engine....
i dont know any car that has ever been massed produced with flowed ports when its far cheaper to add tweeky cams to a 'tuned engine' & again these will be mild as the car (even a sporty one) is aimed at a mass group of consumers & it has to be safe for the cr*ppist driver not fun for the best drivers.

it makes me hysterical with laughter to see a 'sporty' mpv!!!! 10 years ago that would have been called a transit van (im not joking there as big as old transit vans!) with windows & the 'sporty' would have been 'good load carrying ability'!!!!!!

hatchbacks too; there initial design brief is a 'second car for the lady to go shopping in...' a bit out of date now so its been reworded but you get the idea...

thats why i love the frp; designed by rally / motorsport etc engineers (ok it was to a budget & they ran out in certain areas but they got it started to a level not seen before or since. ie the suspension; iv been followed by gti's, type r's etc & can go round roundabouts with the car as flat as the ocean while the so called sporty cars are leaning like a drunk!

so go for it; theres plenty that can be tweeked....

you now need a cold air feed straight to the airbox
flow the maf sensor to get rid of big lumps of metal that dont need to be there! dont bother with the chip.....
the throttle body can be flowed to allow air through better or a larger one fitted (im trying to get hold of a large focus one to flow as my next improvement)
porting the head, getting a good FULL exhaust, mapping, cams etc (but these are the expensive bits)
dump as much weight as you dare!
1.4 gearbox... or ratios from the 1.25 fiesta.....

#20 User is offline   pumar1 

Posted 19 April 2008 - 03:57 PM

...thanks chaps, and chapessess..! another free mod is the brown wire trick..! :huh:no, it's not as dodgy as it sounds. Because Mr Ford much to popular belief, relies on the parts bin to a large degree, when he built the Puma he skimped on many parts...brake discs on the early cars were like shirt buttons, certainly not up to the performance, and likewise the drive shafts and CV's. So what did Henry do? Instead of fitting uprated stuff, he fitted a limiter on 1st gear which reduced power in first mad.gif this retarded the ignition a smidge and he called it a torque limiter. Cut the brown wire, fit a switch and full power in first smile.gif that's better! Try it for yourself, going into the gearbox is a Triangular shaped connector with 3 wires, unplug it and try. If you like, cut the Brown wire, fit a switch and happy days...! Another free mod.
...However, now I've got proper power, I noticed the clutch on my car wasn't biting as hard when slapping it into 2nd and 3rd after a rapid change. Nothing to do with the mod, every thing to do with the clutch... dry.gif So tomorrow on goes a 2.0 litre Focus clutch and concentric..They're a bit bigger and so a larger contact patch. I'll let you know if it fits, I'm not 100% sure, but spoke to a guy who's done it in his puma 1.7. Looks the same.
Happy modding...!

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic