Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Overfilled With Petrol?

#1 User is offline   rsindigo 

• Group: Members

Posted 09 April 2015 - 10:19 PM

Hi,

On Wednesday evening I filled my FRP with petrol, when the petrol pump cut out, I squeezed a whisker more fuel in to round up to the next whole pound, before driving the short distance home.

Tonight (Thursday evening) when I went to go out in my FRP, there was a Distinct strong smell of petrol inside the car ? underneath the car at the back, the two fuel pipes that run down from the petrol
filler cap were wet / damp with fuel and there were a few drops of fuel on the lower sections of these two pipes,which had / was dripping onto the driveway, I then opened the petrol flap and there was evidence of petrol around the filler neck, & the surrounding area of the filler neck / filler cap area, so I then removed the filler cap and there was fuel up to the top of the filler cap, suddenly this fuel rose up and began pouring out from the filler neck, covering my hand and running down the side of my car, this fuel came out very fast, I fitted the filler cap back on as quickly as I could.

I have owned the car for two years, this hasn't happened before although a few weeks ago there was a slight smell of petrol inside the car, I always fill my car right up with petrol when I fill up.

I am slightly concerned about this - I have I simply over filled my car with fuel ? (when I removed the petrol pump nozzle I wasn't aware of fuel near the top of the filler neck)

Or could there be a problem with my fuel tank or fuel lines?

This post has been edited by rsindigo: 09 April 2015 - 10:20 PM

#2 User is offline   MattC 

• Group: Members

Posted 10 April 2015 - 06:01 AM

I had a very similar problem with a 2008 Astra- I filled the tank and filler neck to the brim as I was due to be driving 300 miles to a wedding for the weekend with the wife. We ended up taking her car, which meant my drive home from the petrol station was only around 5 miles. Upon returning a couple of days later, I found out that the fuel line from the neck to the tank had blown open and 1/3 tank of petrol had leaked all over the road.

The AA man suggested this was due to the temperature difference between filling the tank (warm) and overnight temperature (cold). Apparently petrol is more dense when cold, and the fuel system didn't have any room to expand- hence the blown fuel line. If your fuel has leaked from the filler cap, I would make sure you drive at least 30 miles and make sure that the seal around the filler cap is still sitting as intended!

#3 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 12 April 2015 - 04:05 PM

If you threw it around that would have caused it to surge up the pipe too.
Petrol expands with heat, needs somewhere to go.
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic