Pumapeople: Road Noise Of Toyo T1-r Vs. Michelin Exalto 2 - Pumapeople

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Road Noise Of Toyo T1-r Vs. Michelin Exalto 2 anyone experienced the different tyres?

#1 User is offline   billy 

• Group: Members

Posted 20 January 2009 - 01:42 PM

Quick question for the forum: Toyo T1-R and Michelin Pilot Sport Exalto 2's both get great reviews on grip and stability. Anyone got experience of them both and can therefore comment on the relative road noise of each? I'm currently on the Toyo T1-R all round, and it's a quiet tyre - i'm interested in giving the Michelin's a go, but don't want any more noise...
2000/X 1.7, SS Piper/FRP exhaust system + manifold, Green panel filter, FRP airbox mod + 3" feed to front grill, Pumabuild FRP ECU map (Dreamscience 3000), EBC grooved discs + Green stuff pads, SS brake hoses, Toyo Proxes T1-R all round, AP Coilovers (running at -35mm), Powerflex bushes + ford uprated bushes on rear of front wishbone, 10mm rear hub spacers, Halfords Super Bright Xenon headlight bulbs, big Alpine ICE system with iPOD control.

#2 User is offline   eldoodarino 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:20 PM

Michelins are defintly transmit more noise than most tyres in my experience...

especially so when new..
Wizards Of Nos 60hp progressive delivery.... yeah baby yeah :-o
Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

#3 User is offline   Big Boy Al 

• View gallery

Posted 20 January 2009 - 05:34 PM

i think though after having t1-r's for a year or so then changing to a full set of pilots that they make the car feel more sturdy on its feet due too the side walls being harder, makes the car feel more stiffer to drive in a way.

cant really explain but i like them biggrin.gif
Posted Image
FRP 241 RINGMEISTER -23 LAPS = 296.7 MILES COMPLETED, MORE TO COME NEXT YEAR

#4 User is offline   eldoodarino 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 20 January 2009 - 06:37 PM

i agree, not to mention the Exalto's seem to defy the laws of physics in wet weather... ohmy.gif it's amazing how hard you can still drive the car in conditions you wouldn't dare push the car in on other tyres..

Chris
Wizards Of Nos 60hp progressive delivery.... yeah baby yeah :-o
Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

#5 User is offline   Big Boy Al 

• View gallery

Posted 20 January 2009 - 08:36 PM

yep i used to absolutely hate driving mine in the wet before but now its quite a pleasure, feel alot safer.

it came to £600 just for the four tyres but the extra confidence and feel mean alot and are worth it.
Posted Image
FRP 241 RINGMEISTER -23 LAPS = 296.7 MILES COMPLETED, MORE TO COME NEXT YEAR

#6 User is offline   billy 

Posted 20 January 2009 - 09:27 PM

Useful comments - thanks guys. I fitted a pair of Bridgestone SO-3's about 4-years ago, and the road noise was really poor - the stiff side walls gave such a positive feel to the steering though. But it was just really hard and noisy, so I switched to the Toyo T1-R and never looked back. Is the change from T1-R to Michelin in comfort and noise terms quite significant? What do you reckon? I use the car for an every day 25-mile each way commute, on a range of road surfaces (back roads are the most fun biggrin.gif ).
2000/X 1.7, SS Piper/FRP exhaust system + manifold, Green panel filter, FRP airbox mod + 3" feed to front grill, Pumabuild FRP ECU map (Dreamscience 3000), EBC grooved discs + Green stuff pads, SS brake hoses, Toyo Proxes T1-R all round, AP Coilovers (running at -35mm), Powerflex bushes + ford uprated bushes on rear of front wishbone, 10mm rear hub spacers, Halfords Super Bright Xenon headlight bulbs, big Alpine ICE system with iPOD control.

#7 User is offline   PeteST24 

Posted 22 January 2009 - 01:41 PM

I had Toyo Proxe-T1-R on my ST24 and will get some when I need to change for the Puma. I love them and with the Mondeo being heavier than the Puma they should be even better.

I had 55mph round a wet roundabout with Toyos biggrin.gif

#8 User is offline   Banny 

Posted 22 January 2009 - 03:54 PM

If the title mentioned grip the answer would be easy - 'Exalto'
However noise wise i would say the Toyo's were quiter.
Although saying that i thought my Toyo's were awful, in wet and dry. The Exalto's are far in advance in every aspect, except probably noise.... Oooo and price!

#9 User is offline   YOG 

Posted 22 January 2009 - 04:24 PM

Switched from Pirelli 6000 to Michelin Pilot Exalto 2 and don't find them any noisier.

Costco offer running until 15th February:
4 x Michelin Pilot Exalto 2 (195/50/15/82V) for £180.25, fitted and balanced.
Rick

The Haynes Fiesta Manual (3397) can answer a lot of your questions.
Posted Image

#10 User is offline   billy 

Posted 22 January 2009 - 09:07 PM

Brilliant! thankyou everyone - just the kind of info i was after.

#11 User is offline   dave208 

Posted 23 January 2009 - 12:00 AM

As said above... Exalto's are the nuts of a tyre and i dont find them noisy at all...

Good deal at costo at the moment.....

#12 User is offline   Crystalpuma 

Posted 23 January 2009 - 07:50 AM

Agreed biggrin.gif
"Margaret was right...piracy is our only option"
Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

Nancy & Vix

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic