Pumapeople: More Recon Work On 241. - Pumapeople

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

More Recon Work On 241. the never ending tale.

#1 User is offline   Big Boy Al 

• View gallery
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 May 2007 - 09:09 PM

well still going at it as its never ending.

after last year when for two months i done a load of work ive started doing more again as there has been bits bugging me for ages, when i painted all the boot pan etc last year and beams i didnt remove all the fixtures etc so today decided to remove all heat shields etc and back box and abs sensor loom etc from beam and do the job properly.

had about 7 hours at it but still tons to do. waxoyled and painted right the way to the very front heat shield now under the manifold but that will have to wait until i can get the front of the car up on my ramps which is going to be a hard task, damn splitter lol.

also whilst off i de rusted and protected and resprayed my back box and im very happy with the results biggrin.gif

and my heat shields were almost black so scrubbed them down, each one took about 20 mins then sprayed them in high temp aluminium paint and they look amazingly better, just gotta work out how to put it all back together in the week now laugh.gif

anyway happy boy but still a good few weeks work to do. gotta have all four wheels off again and redo a few bits in the arches and then start under the front of the car

before, starting to rust:

after rub down the kurust:

sprayed with high temp aluminium paint:

heat shields after a goos scrubbing:

and after sprayed:

the parts i didnt get to last year as i cheated tut tut.:

after rub down and kurust:

waxoyled and painted:

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Big Boy Al: 20 May 2007 - 09:10 PM

Posted Image
FRP 241 RINGMEISTER -23 LAPS = 296.7 MILES COMPLETED, MORE TO COME NEXT YEAR

#2 User is offline   eldoodarino 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 20 May 2007 - 09:16 PM

blimey ohmy.gif big job.... you must be knackered....

lookin top banana tho... tongue.gif tongue.gif

i'm thinkin i might do that now too....

biggrin.gif

Chris
Wizards Of Nos 60hp progressive delivery.... yeah baby yeah :-o
Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

#3 User is offline   PG12 

Posted 20 May 2007 - 09:19 PM

yep, i've tried high temp aluminium paint on the backbox - mine eventually flaked off

i've tried jenolite and other rust prevention products - none of them have worked

the backbox/midsection join is very suseptible to rusting - esp with those aluminium tags collecting moisture underneath them (looks like you removed yours in the pics)

i'm having a new backbox fitted this week - not bothering with any rust prevention...

This post has been edited by PG12: 20 May 2007 - 09:22 PM

RPJ DAMPENERS - POWERFLEX ALLROUND - JANSPEED SS SYSTEM - SOLD - probably in bits now...

#4 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 20 May 2007 - 09:19 PM

cool.gif
though not expecting a reply as you must be in the tub soaking rather tired back muscles wink.gif
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#5 User is offline   BOK 

Posted 20 May 2007 - 09:20 PM

Not sure about that black paint Al, is it underseal?

Fresh underseal to someone who is used to viewing cars may be a sign of repairs following an accident, not that you're selling your but if you do, don't be surprised if it's mentioned...

Interesting solution to the tailpipe rubbing the bumper wink.gif

#6 User is offline   vaspetrol 

Posted 20 May 2007 - 09:26 PM

Al!! You are awesome!! Top job indeed biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif It seems that all the big FRP heavyweights are in action now biggrin.gif

I'm so impressed with the way you've removed bits to paint, well done big dog cool.gif
Vas
FRP #385 / FORD FIESTA ZETEC-S
Looked after by GK!!-In GK Ford I trust
BRAKES LOOKED AFTER BY DR.ALCON @ ELDUDE-BUILD!

PERFORMANCE FORD SHOW 2006-BEST PUMA WINNER
FORD FAIR CONCOURS CLASS WINNER 2006
WONDERLAND SPORTSCAR SHOW 2007-CONCOURS 2ND PLACE
BEST PARADE LAP FRP WINNER-CASTLE COMBE 2007
PUMAPEOPLE CALENDAR CAR 2009

Racing Puma Owners Club Membership Administrator

#7 User is offline   Big Boy Al 

• View gallery

Posted 20 May 2007 - 09:34 PM

QUOTE (eldoodarino @ May 20 2007, 10:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
blimey ohmy.gif big job.... you must be knackered....

lookin top banana tho... tongue.gif tongue.gif

i'm thinkin i might do that now too....

biggrin.gif

Chris

thanks chris,

hard work but its worth it in the long run ja_cool.gif

QUOTE (PG12 @ May 20 2007, 10:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yep, i've tried high temp aluminium paint on the backbox - mine eventually flaked off

i've tried jenolite and other rust prevention products - none of them have worked

the backbox/midsection join is very suseptible to rusting - esp with those aluminium tags collecting moisture underneath them (looks like you removed yours in the pics)
i'm having a new backbox fitted this week - not bothering with any rust prevention...

thats the state of the back box after a year with the high temp paint on it. i did it about this time last year as i brought it off ebay as i had a miltek on. lasted fine wink.gif

how much is a new back box now ohmy.gif
Posted Image

#8 User is offline   R5CPD 

Posted 20 May 2007 - 09:34 PM

Hmmm? I wonder how many 7yr old Focus owners are having to repaint and protect the underside of their cars?

Given I'm planning a waxoyl session with the Thunder in the coming weeks, you do start to wonder about the way these cars were put together. sad.gif Ho-hum, at least the Puma is continuing a long standing tradition of rusty Fords!! biggrin.gif
Posted Image

#9 User is offline   Big Boy Al 

• View gallery

Posted 20 May 2007 - 09:40 PM

QUOTE (happy-kat @ May 20 2007, 10:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
cool.gif
though not expecting a reply as you must be in the tub soaking rather tired back muscles wink.gif

yep just had one thanks kate smile.gif

QUOTE (BOK @ May 20 2007, 10:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not sure about that black paint Al, is it underseal?

Fresh underseal to someone who is used to viewing cars may be a sign of repairs following an accident, not that you're selling your but if you do, don't be surprised if it's mentioned...

Interesting solution to the tailpipe rubbing the bumper wink.gif

nope not underseal thats what i went for last year i like it all black, covers nicely and is easy to clean as you can see the dirt easier. the rest of the car is black waxoyled so kept it looking the same, no need for the underside to be painted bright colours as im not doing it for people to admire but to prevent rusting etc.

tell me about the tailpipe the original owner done this to stop the miltek rubbing as it used to burn the underside as you can see, guess which was the only body part i didnt have sprayed( rear bumper), dont see it once exhaust is on wink.gif

QUOTE (vaspetrol @ May 20 2007, 10:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Al!! You are awesome!! Top job indeed biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif It seems that all the big FRP heavyweights are in action now biggrin.gif

I'm so impressed with the way you've removed bits to paint, well done big dog cool.gif

thankyou big dog, its all because the vasdude inspired me to do it last year and big eddie.

glad i got the tips from the best wink.gif wink.gif

had to finally remove the heat shields etc its been bugging me for a months knowing that its all under there untreated,
but now its 90% done and will hopefully last alot of years.

paint etc will need touching up a few times ayear but thats a weekends work smile.gif

QUOTE (R5CPD @ May 20 2007, 10:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hmmm? I wonder how many 7yr old Focus owners are having to repaint and protect the underside of their cars?

Given I'm planning a waxoyl session with the Thunder in the coming weeks, you do start to wonder about the way these cars were put together. sad.gif Ho-hum, at least the Puma is continuing a long standing tradition of rusty Fords!! biggrin.gif

in all honesty mine wasnt bad after 6 years but i could see if i left it another year it would have been so im glad i started but honestly it never ends there is always another 10 jobs you want to get done. wacko.gif wacko.gif

This post has been edited by Big Boy Al: 20 May 2007 - 09:42 PM

Posted Image

#10 User is offline   PG12 

Posted 20 May 2007 - 09:42 PM

QUOTE (Big Boy Al @ May 20 2007, 10:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
thats the state of the back box after a year with the high temp paint on it. i did it about this time last year as i brought it off ebay as i had a miltek on. lasted fine wink.gif
how much is a new back box now ohmy.gif

putting 25k miles pa on mine so wear and tear shows quicker than normal - hence i've stopped bothering

around £180 for a new one - might pick up another complete exhaust system before stocks run out - coming up to that '10 year' rule on spare parts and already no steering wheels left...again...

i'm getting through exhaust sections every 2 years - manifold (2 years - rust) - midsection (2 years - cat failure) - backbox (2.5 years - rust) - i'll need another complete system if i plan on keeping mine...

This post has been edited by PG12: 20 May 2007 - 09:46 PM

RPJ DAMPENERS - POWERFLEX ALLROUND - JANSPEED SS SYSTEM - SOLD - probably in bits now...

#11 User is offline   V4FRP 

Posted 20 May 2007 - 09:45 PM

Top job Al looking really good. Have to admit that this weekend I've actaully taken FRUP out on the road and driven him very impressed with his new brakes. Did make a start on his under bonnet this evening and am starting to think about the frone end underside.

Keep up the good work biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

#12 User is offline   Big Boy Al 

• View gallery

Posted 20 May 2007 - 09:47 PM

nope wheels have been gone now for about a year , just had mine sent off for retrimming .

would be worth getting a spare system but its so bloody expensive, i have a spare piper 4-2-1 stainless manifold, miltek backbox with frp tailpipe, powerflow backbox with frp tailpipe and frp centre section so i should be fine fingers crossed.

will just be a mix and match of stainless and mild steel like it is now lol.

QUOTE (V4FRP @ May 20 2007, 10:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Top job Al looking really good. Have to admit that this weekend I've actaully taken FRUP out on the road and driven him very impressed with his new brakes. Did make a start on his under bonnet this evening and am starting to think about the frone end underside.

Keep up the good work biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

cheers dave made sure i gave 241 a good blast for an hour before i started this morning just incase i cant get it all back together laugh.gif laugh.gif

ja_cool.gif
Posted Image

#13 User is offline   PG12 

Posted 20 May 2007 - 09:50 PM

QUOTE (Big Boy Al @ May 20 2007, 10:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
nope wheels have been gone now for about a year , just had mine sent off for retrimming .

would be worth getting a spare system but its so bloody expensive, i have a spare piper 4-2-1 stainless manifold, miltek backbox with frp tailpipe, powerflow backbox with frp tailpipe and frp centre section so i should be fine fingers crossed.

will just be a mix and match of stainless and mild steel like it is now lol.

yep, keep us posted with the steering wheel - i'm just waiting for the alacantera order to go through

it's around £1K for a complete exhaust system now - i've got a piper ss manifold but haven't seen a decent midsection/backbox replacement -

(i'm also expecting the piper to crack at any moment - it doesn't have a support 'bracket' like the oem one)

#14 User is offline   glover 

Posted 20 May 2007 - 09:54 PM

nice bit of maintenance there cool.gif
Ford Puma 1.7 2002
maybe one day ill understand women ...... actually, on second thoughts.......

Glover - tells it how it is...there is only one opinion thats right, and its mine

#15 User is offline   Big Boy Al 

• View gallery

Posted 20 May 2007 - 09:57 PM

thankyou,

done a few bits last year as well and all through this year.

gives me something to do on sundays when ive spent all my money friday and saturday night biggrin.gif

http://www.pumapeople.com/forum/index.php?showto...0recon&st=0
Posted Image

#16 User is offline   AdamFRP 

Posted 20 May 2007 - 10:03 PM

I seem to have rust appearing everywhere all of a sudden, bootlid doors and a spot on the bonnet discovered today! ohmy.gif

I think I'm going to have to get the respray doone sooner than planned. How hard is it to get the underneath looking like that?Could a bodyshop do the underside at the same time as doing the respray?
2002 Honda Accord Type R

#17 User is offline   Big Boy Al 

• View gallery

Posted 20 May 2007 - 10:06 PM

yeah someone else could do it for a couple of hundred quid as kate is having hers waxoyled, but i dare say the way a few of us have done it will get into more nooks and crannies than a quick spray over.

i would say in all from completely redoing all the insides of the arches, everything underneath etc has taken me a few months on and off bgeen doing it on spare days over the last year. then theres getting the exterior looking good, its a long long process but well worth it when people stare in the street and give you nice comments. biggrin.gif biggrin.gife

This post has been edited by Big Boy Al: 20 May 2007 - 10:07 PM

Posted Image

#18 User is offline   AdamFRP 

Posted 20 May 2007 - 10:09 PM

I'm making the best of what I have, but she's starting to look a little tired if you look closely, I think I may as well bite the bullet and get it booked in, I don't want her rusting away! rolleyes.gif

Wish I was capable of doing such a good job myself wink.gif
2002 Honda Accord Type R

#19 User is offline   Big Boy Al 

• View gallery

Posted 20 May 2007 - 10:10 PM

you are just takes alot of time ,patience, money and laying in very tight spaces with waxoyl and paint dripping in your eyes and hair and arms lol.

This post has been edited by Big Boy Al: 20 May 2007 - 10:10 PM

Posted Image

#20 Guest_jacko_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 20 May 2007 - 10:15 PM

has anyone tried getting the exhaust system ceramic coated - keeps heat in so adding (minimul) bhp but more importantly stops rusting, aint cheap but better than £1k on an exhaust every 2 years!!!

or dare i say it, get a stainless one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic