Pumapeople: Fitted New Battery - Now Wont Start! - Pumapeople

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Fitted New Battery - Now Wont Start!

#1 User is offline   Yorkshire Lad 

• Group: Members

Posted 30 October 2017 - 11:25 PM

Fitted a new battery today and also a new battery in the key. Engine turning over fine but won't fire into life.

Programmed the key using the method of the 4 turns on and off from position 2 to 1 and then waiting for the beep, pressed one of the key buttons and the rear fog light switch lit for a few seconds.

Removed the key, then tried again to start it with no joy.

I gather that this just programmes the key for the central locking and not the immobilser/ECU, so how do I do that to enable me to start the engine?

Anybody got any ideas what else it might be?

The car started fine with a booster charger prior to fitting the new battery, so it is obviously something related to either the key or the new battery.

HELP PLEASE!!

This post has been edited by Yorkshire Lad: 30 October 2017 - 11:29 PM

#2 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 31 October 2017 - 10:35 AM

In the Wiki are several articles on key programming.
http://www.pumapeopl...title=Puma_Keys
You can only program a key to start the car if you already have two keys that will start the car.
Does your key turn the engine over still? If it does then look at the car battery.
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#3 User is offline   Ian G 

Posted 31 October 2017 - 11:14 AM

Key programming procedure is just for remote locking.

If its cranking then this is not an immobiliser problem.

Sounds like fuel supply and unrelated to the change of battery.

Remove the white fuel pipe and run that to a container and switch the ignition on.

#4 User is offline   Yorkshire Lad 

Posted 31 October 2017 - 12:29 PM

Thanks guys, I'll try the fuel flow test tonight and report back.

#5 User is offline   Yorkshire Lad 

Posted 31 October 2017 - 05:23 PM

UPDATE
I even tried it with the booster but it made no difference, just spun the engine faster!

The fuel cut off switch seems to be OK.

I assume the red button should be pressed in when its working as this is how it is now. When I try and press it down further, its solid, so assume its pressed down as far as it will go.

What I have noticed is that when I turn the ignition on, I cant hear the fuel pump whirring which I could before, so I am starting to think that it may be the pump that is the issue; maybe just a weird coincidence that this has developed a fault at the same time as the battery was replaced.

I have had the lid off the fuse box in the engine bay and all the larger fuses seem to be OK; is this where the fuse would be for the pump or do I need to look elsewhere in the car, or could it be a relay and if so which one? So many questions requiring answers!

More help please :?

#6 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 01 November 2017 - 09:17 AM

There is in the wiki a fuse guide.
http://www.pumapeopl...entral_Fuse_Box
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#7 User is offline   Yorkshire Lad 

Posted 01 November 2017 - 12:52 PM

Hopefully sorted it!

The fuse had blown; replaced it and started first twist Posted Image

Just hoping it was a coincidence that it was the fitting of the new battery that caused it to blow and not something more sinister, so i'll have to see if it pops again and, if so, investigate further.

Thanks for all the advice.

This post has been edited by Yorkshire Lad: 01 November 2017 - 12:53 PM

#8 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 01 November 2017 - 02:43 PM

That's great Puma purring again.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic