Pumapeople: Rs White Ford Puma - Pumapeople

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rs White Ford Puma Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   bbailes89 

• Group: Members

Posted 18 April 2011 - 12:00 AM

I'm sure there are a lot more projects that will require more effort and be more interesting but I thought I'd share the plans for my Puma anyway :)

A couple of years ago I bought a silver 1.6 Ford Puma but eventually sold it when circumstances changed. Fantastic to drive, so I decided a couple of months ago to buy another one.

I ended up getting a 1.7 in green on an X reg which had suffered a fair bit of paint damage on the driver's side (due to brake fluid being thrown on it I think) but it also came with a private reg.

The goal is to have a full respray done in frozen 'RS' white, get some mark 7 Fiesta Zetec S wheels and powdercoat them in black, replace the standard interior with a full Racing Puma interior (as well as a couple of other little bits and bobs).

As far as mechanics and the engine go I'm not certain as to what I'm going to do but I'm thinking of getting it remapped, buying a K&N filter and fixing it up with some bigger front brake discs.

So far I've purchased a whole FRP interior (minus rear door cards) and had the car sent to a recommended respray garage for it to get painted.

I will upload more photos as it progresses but I have taken a couple so far:

Apologies for the quality as the camera on my phone isn't the best...

As I bought it:

Posted Image

Two Front seats from an FRP, which are in excellent condition, in the back of my car..

Posted Image

Picture taken on Wednesday (13/04/11) of preliminary work having been done before it goes for the respray!

Posted Image

More to follow!

#2 User is offline   Ian G 

• Group: Admin

Posted 18 April 2011 - 01:40 AM

Interested to see this.

Mine is going white at the end of the season when I can afford to be without it for a bit.

#3 User is offline   SPARTAN196 

Posted 18 April 2011 - 09:05 AM

That is a good combination... i am taking my puma to PumaBuild tomorrow to have it resprayed in Frozen White, and i'm keeping the black wheels so i'll put some pictures up to show you how your's will look.

Posted Image

#4 User is offline   bbailes89 

Posted 19 April 2011 - 03:08 PM

Right quick update on the Puma, as I've just been down to the garage today...

Took a few snaps now that he's taken the front windscreen out and prep'd all the body work!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 User is offline   Dogsbody 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 19 April 2011 - 03:26 PM

How much are they charging you for the respray?
I have been quoted £1300 + vat to do my FRP.
That includes removing bumper, mirrors etc but its another £120 to remove the glass.
I know there work so it will be a good job. ;)
Better price than I expected.
MK4 XR3i
Mk3 XR3i
R Reg 1.7 Puma
T Reg 1.7 Lux Puma
Now its Racing Puma 072

Graham

Posted Image

#6 User is offline   bbailes89 

Posted 19 April 2011 - 04:55 PM

I believe they said £800 all-in for the respray, I met the lad and had a chat with him today and he seems to be spot-on and I hope the end product reflects that. The rear window is getting taken out tomorrow afternoon.

I think I managed to get a bit of discount because the guy who recommended me to them gets a lot of his work done there and they're doing my Puma kind of as a favour for a little less than they would normally charge.

Interestingly, I was only quoted £150 more to get it resprayed in the same colour white which you can get on the Kuga, the pearlescent one, I think it's Arctic white?

#7 User is offline   SPARTAN196 

Posted 19 April 2011 - 07:31 PM

Must ask..... where are all these cheap places to go for resprays.... as i have spoken to 17 garages in the uk and the cheapest was £2000 for Frozen white on a Puma.... So all the mystical people who knows where to get cheaper, perhaps they should post a list.....

Posted Image

#8 User is offline   Dogsbody 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 19 April 2011 - 09:17 PM

My respray will be done in Corsham, Wiltshire.
About 30 minutes away as the FRP flies :roflmao: or an hour by normal car from Andover.
A303 to Stonehenge then A361 I think north.
The company I am using is called "Crash" in Corsham. I think they are on the recommended list as they did some work on my first Red 1.7 and were very good. ;)
MK4 XR3i
Mk3 XR3i
R Reg 1.7 Puma
T Reg 1.7 Lux Puma
Now its Racing Puma 072

Graham

Posted Image

#9 User is offline   bbailes89 

Posted 12 May 2011 - 05:06 PM

Reet, bit of a progress report I guess. It's been a good couple of weeks since I took the Puma down to a local respray garage and I'm pleased to say that he's finally finished with it!

Here are some pictures, the camera on my blackberry is poor, apologies again.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Not bad for £700, me thinks, completely stripped the car down and gave it 3 coats of prima before giving it a couple of coats of Frozen White (including under the bonnet, inside the doors etc.). I had both windscreens taken out and then put back in to ensure that there'd be no edges and that he could do the paint job to the best of his ability.

Hopefully, stick the Racing Puma interior that I've been acquiring in to it tomorrow and over next week when I get a bit of time at work. Rear door cards proved to be too difficult to source so I've enlisted a local re-trimming business to do that for me, so hopefully some more pictures of the cosmetic side to come. Overrall very pleased with how it's looking so far.
However I can't decide whether or not to purchase new Z-S wheels and powdercoat them black or merely refurbish and powder coat the current ones black.

Watch this space ;)

#10 User is offline   SPARTAN196 

Posted 12 May 2011 - 07:42 PM

I'm picking mine up tomorrow from pumabuild tomorrow. It looks amazing. I'll post some pictures tomorrow night. And I have black wheels so you can see what the frozen White looks like with them on.

Posted Image

#11 User is offline   bbailes89 

Posted 12 May 2011 - 07:49 PM

Aye, I would like to see those pictures as a colleague of mine suggested white wheels however I can't see them looking as good as black wheels (the darker headlights and tinted windows I'm getting will surely go better with black wheels?).

#12 User is offline   SPARTAN196 

Posted 12 May 2011 - 08:04 PM

Well that's what I have on mine with a few more additions. So once I get it I'll post some all rond pictures of it. They sent me two pictures to my phone and it looks fantastic. Mine however was not as cheap as £700 it was £2500 as I had an new tailgate an my f2 re-welded to it.

Posted Image

#13 User is offline   FlashBastd 

• Group: Validating

Posted 12 May 2011 - 09:25 PM

Car looks great, don't get Z-S wheels, offset is VERY wrong.
2005 Vauxhall VX220 Turbo
2000 Ford Focus 1.6i Ghia
2006 Renault Clio 2.0i RenaultSport 197 - SOLD
2005 Honda CR-V 2.0i Executive auto
2001 Ford Puma 1.7i Black

#14 User is offline   Wild E Coyote 

Posted 13 May 2011 - 06:50 AM

The car looks awesome!!!! But, I would just keep the stock wheels as they are. The black ones will be always dirty, if you know what I mean.

Once again, top job with the white, i t looks fantasticPosted Image

#15 User is offline   stoke7up 

Posted 13 May 2011 - 09:13 AM

looks an excellent job my fiances frozen white one looks exactly the same but on an 02 plate

#16 User is offline   SPARTAN196 

Posted 13 May 2011 - 07:32 PM

Heres mine... appoligies for the terrible photo, its from my phone and the light was fading...

Posted Image

Posted Image

#17 User is offline   PumaJay 

Posted 15 May 2011 - 06:05 PM

that needs lowering!! and the bonnet scoop removing and it would look a million times better!
THE WORLD IS MY RACETRACK
www.charnwoodcarclub.co.uk

#18 User is offline   SPARTAN196 

Posted 15 May 2011 - 06:10 PM

View PostPumaJay, on 15 May 2011 - 06:05 PM, said:

that needs lowering!! and the bonnet scoop removing and it would look a million times better!

Thanks... but no.

Posted Image

#19 User is offline   bbailes89 

Posted 16 May 2011 - 05:37 PM

Hello!

I decided to have a go at knacking the standard interior in so I could: a) clean the carpet that is still riddled with dog hairs and other wonderful bits of debris from the previous owner and B ) get ready to fit the completed FRP interior.

I picked up my rear door cards covered in an almost identical trim to that of the original Ford racing blue alcantara this morning and I think they look smashing. If you need any re-apolstering jobs doing and live in the North East, I would highly recommend 'Autotrimming' of Dormanstown, Redcar.

The first job was to remove the seats and facia around the gearstick so that the carpet could be released. This didn't take very long:

Posted Image

As you can see I've found a use for my shed of a Ford Probe (note the broomstick holding the boot up ha!)

Posted Image

The next step is to clean this carpet and then re-spray it and let it dry so the interior will look fully renewed from the bottom up.

Here a couple of shots of the car stripped out and my rear door cards left sat in the back, waiting to be re-connected to the car :rolleyes:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Once the carpet has been thoroughly cleaned the racing interior can be put in and then I'll take some more pictures, I'm thinking the RS White paintjob and Ford Racing blue interior will really make it stand out from the crowd! :rolleyes:

#20 User is offline   madhillbilly17 

Posted 16 May 2011 - 07:02 PM

ive brought a few cars with the dredded dogs name jack last name russell, takes hours to get it out.luckly the puma was jack free

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic