Pumapeople: Test Mode ! - Pumapeople

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Test Mode ! Pretty Neat Trick ..

#1 User is offline   Pete5150 

• Group: Members

Posted 15 January 2006 - 03:43 PM

As most of you propably know theres a way to send your milometer into test mode.
But for the people who dont know heres a bit of trickery ..
Aparently if you take your Puma to Ford for a service they use this to diagnostic test your car.

Right:
Before you start the engine up, press and hold your trip counter.
Once the car starts keep an eye on your trip counter still holding it,
It will then run into test mode where you can skip through all the menus ..

Its actually quite good, you can have a MPH Gauge, a Rev Gauge, Bulb Test, Fuel left in the tank ..
And its all digital.

Although once you turn the engine off it resets and puts it back to trip counter.

Nice bit of knowledge though smile.gif

Pete.
Quite a number of directions there Tiff, all at the same time !!

#2 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 15 January 2006 - 06:06 PM

it is biggrin.gif and have used it for seeing how fast really going a few times wink.gif
Only applies to Pumas with a digital odometre.
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#3 User is offline   spenspuma 

Posted 15 January 2006 - 06:11 PM

Im gonna try it tomora...ive always been a bit worried in case it does some kind of damage or i cant get it back to miles!!!!
SPENCER
FORD PUMA THUNDER 2002 (SOLD)
HONDA CRZ 2013

#4 User is offline   matty 

Posted 15 January 2006 - 06:46 PM

i heard about it a while ago and tried it, and i got the dispay into "diognostic mode" but i couldnt get the rev counter to work, it just stayed at "00000"

i guess thats because my car didnt have a rev counter as standard, or is due to my engine conversion?

anyone know if its easy to put a rev counter in, ive got a vacant "hole" in my dash where the higher models rev counter would have been.

on the lower models of fiesta, they just filled it with a pointless blanking plate with a picture of a car. tongue.gif
Mk5 1.7 pumaspeed fiesta with gas

My car

tarmac terrorism

#5 User is offline   Pete5150 

Posted 15 January 2006 - 10:05 PM

QUOTE (matty @ Jan 15 2006, 06:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i heard about it a while ago and tried it, and i got the dispay into "diognostic mode" but i couldnt get the rev counter to work, it just stayed at "00000"

i guess thats because my car didnt have a rev counter as standard, or is due to my engine conversion?
anyone know if its easy to put a rev counter in, ive got a vacant "hole" in my dash where the higher models rev counter would have been.

on the lower models of fiesta, they just filled it with a pointless blanking plate with a picture of a car. tongue.gif

Your milometer has to be digital yeah, but its quite funny .. if your low on fuel it tells you exactly how much you have in the tank.
I was a bit weary at 1st but after turning off the engine it resets to your usual display of trip counter and miles in total.

Have fun!
Pete.

#6 User is offline   spenspuma 

Posted 15 January 2006 - 10:33 PM

does it reset your trip to zero??...cos i always use mine to check fuel consumption
SPENCER
HONDA CRZ 2013

#7 User is offline   Minsh 

Posted 16 January 2006 - 09:24 PM

Yep it sure does.but its a small price to pay for all those flashing digits blink.gif
ITS BETTER TO BURN OUT THAN FADE AWAY.................

#8 User is offline   spenspuma 

Posted 16 January 2006 - 09:38 PM

Well, ill try it tomora...forgot to do it this morning!!!
SPENCER
HONDA CRZ 2013

#9 User is offline   KentPuma 

Posted 17 January 2006 - 03:33 PM

Neat trick, though quite suprised with tha ammount of stuff there which seems to make no sense, guess its fords diagnostics stuff. Any know what the fuel display is displaying? Is it miles left in the tank? As I just filled up and under fuel it says 232. Did the late spec puma's have a computer which showed fuel consumption and miles left in the tank? Mines a 1999 and doesn't have this.

#10 User is offline   Pete5150 

Posted 18 January 2006 - 07:48 AM

QUOTE (KentPuma @ Jan 17 2006, 03:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Neat trick, though quite suprised with tha ammount of stuff there which seems to make no sense, guess its fords diagnostics stuff. Any know what the fuel display is displaying? Is it miles left in the tank? As I just filled up and under fuel it says 232. Did the late spec puma's have a computer which showed fuel consumption and miles left in the tank? Mines a 1999 and doesn't have this.

I honestly dont know mate,
But i'm pretty sure that indicates miles left .. quite cool though.
I have mine set on Speed E , so it tells you what MPH your driving.
Neat trick indeed.

Pete.

#11 Guest_Matt and Tiggr_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 18 January 2006 - 09:52 AM

Yep, miles left.

Proved a real godsend in France when we couldnt find a petrol station open or one of the automatic pumps that would take UK credit cards.

Convoy of Pumaii driving very sedately back to the hotel, keeping in touch with the walkie talkies trying to find a 24 hour service station with Furrball keeping an eye on how much further he could go wink.gif

#12 User is offline   Dezza 

• View gallery

Posted 18 January 2006 - 02:55 PM

Very useful esp the fuel left. You can buy this info off of ebay 1112202173.gif
Dez

#13 User is offline   Turby 

• View gallery
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 18 January 2006 - 04:24 PM

I'd be surprised if it was mileage left. Much more likely to be the result of converting the voltage from the fuel sender to an 8 bit value (ie 0 to 255). However due to the mechanical design of the sender unit 232 sounds to be the upper limit. Not sure what the lower limit is, any one care to find out. wink.gif

To prove this just go arounda few bends quickly on 1/4 tank and watch the values change as the sensor moves with the fuel sloshing around... that wouldn't happen if it was showing mileage remaining.
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope - 1709)
Stop being spoon fed and GOOGLE it!

#14 Guest_Matt and Tiggr_*

Posted 18 January 2006 - 04:27 PM

QUOTE (Turby @ Jan 18 2006, 04:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd be surprised if it was mileage left. Much more likely to be the result of converting the voltage from the fuel sender to an 8 bit value (ie 0 to 255). However due to the mechanical design of the sender unit 232 sounds to be the upper limit. Not sure what the lower limit is, any one care to find out. wink.gif

To prove this just go arounda few bends quickly on 1/4 tank and watch the values change as the sensor moves with the fuel sloshing around... that wouldn't happen if it was showing mileage remaining.

ODB II settings, calculates approx fuel / mileage left given fuel used (if tank was full at start over) over miles covered.

#15 User is offline   Turby 

• View gallery
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 18 January 2006 - 04:29 PM

QUOTE (Matt and Tiggr @ Jan 18 2006, 04:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ODB II settings, calculates approx fuel / mileage left given fuel used (if tank was full at start over) over miles covered.

Quite possibly true, but has anyone seen it show more than 255 ?
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope - 1709)
Stop being spoon fed and GOOGLE it!

#16 Guest_Matt and Tiggr_*

Posted 18 January 2006 - 04:31 PM

QUOTE (Turby @ Jan 18 2006, 04:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Has anyone seen it shown more than 255 ?

Ahh, see your point, missed that bit, but the display can be set to show miles left in tank biggrin.gif

#17 User is offline   spenspuma 

Posted 18 January 2006 - 07:25 PM

DAMN..i keep forgetting to try it!!

Probably because im always in such a rush getting to work in the mornings!! mad.gif
SPENCER
HONDA CRZ 2013

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic