• Group: Guests

Posted 18 July 2008 - 08:56 AM

When this happened.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/wear/7513123.stm

Makes you think...

#2 User is offline   Dogweed 

• Group: Members

Posted 18 July 2008 - 09:27 AM

Yeah - I saw this story this morning - how awful for the guy's family...

The thief piece of sh*t must have been doing a hell of a speed to flip over the central barrier like that...

I try to avoid motorways, not because I can't drive on them, but with that many cars on the tarmac the chances of meeting someone who doesn't care goes up one hell of a lot, never take my little girl on M roads if i can possibly avoid it...

#3 User is offline   mort666 

Posted 18 July 2008 - 09:31 AM

almost makes you think why the hell should he have surgery to fix his severe injuries after he has done that to a fellow human being.
Journeyed to the green hell and survived
A good friend will help you move; A true friend will help you move the bodies

#4 User is offline   shyann 

Posted 18 July 2008 - 09:39 AM

A very sad story, devastating news for his family mellow.gif

Ann

#5 User is offline   e3silversurfer 

Posted 18 July 2008 - 09:42 AM

reminds of the driver who simply drove into my lane without signalling or checking his mirrors. I could be dead then dry.gif

Good thing I didn't flip over like this guy and killed someone else...

This post has been edited by e3silversurfer: 18 July 2008 - 09:43 AM

#6 User is offline   warrenpenalver 

Posted 18 July 2008 - 10:19 AM

to put another perspective on it, motorways are still the safest roads by far. You should avoid dodgy country lanes!!! The difference is that motorways have more potential for serious injury or death when you hit hit things at 70mph when compared to town driving. But country lanes are worse!! NO comfy crash barriers or wide carriage ways and vehicles can be doing 10mph or 60mph!! motorways generally most traffic stays between 50 - 80 so the closing speeds for a same carriage way crash are similar. Its very rare to flip over the crash barrier.

another thing!! will he get done for death by dangerous driving or manslaughter???
Posted Image

#7 Guest_Tiggr_*

Posted 18 July 2008 - 10:23 AM

I guess a lot depends on his defence.

If they can prove that he was avoiding being hit by one of the police cars who knows, he may even end up with just being charged with vehicle theft. Especially if the Police can be shown to be in anyway responsible for the incident.

One things for sure, you can bet he will get a handsome payout in the form of compensation. The family of the deceased will get nothing.

#8 User is offline   eldoodarino 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 18 July 2008 - 10:36 AM

mm ... it will certainly make an interesting case to sit in on when it hits the courts next year...

having done Jury Service before, i can see that one being quite complecated and long winded...

What a bloody shame... sad.gif

Chris
Wizards Of Nos 60hp progressive delivery.... yeah baby yeah :-o
Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

#9 User is offline   HFStuart 

Posted 18 July 2008 - 12:39 PM

QUOTE (Tiggr @ Jul 18 2008, 10:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If they can prove that he was avoiding being hit by one of the police cars who knows, he may even end up with just being charged with vehicle theft. Especially if the Police can be shown to be in anyway responsible for the incident.

One things for sure, you can bet he will get a handsome payout in the form of compensation. The family of the deceased will get nothing.

The report says that the police were trying to bring him to a controlled halt. You would hope that a judge would take the line that if the thief had just stopped the potential for an accident would have been zero so the fault is all his. I sincerely hope that only payout he'll get is free permanent facial disfigurement.

The likelihood is that he'll get Death by Dangerous driving as manslaughter is only usually used in road accidents if deliberate intent to harm. That said I see little reason this guy should not be given the full 14 years.

I amazed by the restraint of the police, when they come up against something like this. It must be very temping to make his injuries as severe as the poor victim.
Stuart
Stuart

#10 User is offline   BOK 

Posted 19 July 2008 - 09:08 AM

Wrong place, wrong time sad.gif

Those Mitubishis handle like a POS anyway, no surprise it turned over rolleyes.gif

#11 User is offline   BenF 

• View gallery

Posted 19 July 2008 - 09:17 AM

interestingly, the article does not say anything about the age of the Mitsubishi driver - I wonder how many of us immediately assumed assumed that he was young?

Someone stole my Thunder...

#12 User is offline   mikey2cv 

• View gallery

Posted 20 July 2008 - 08:03 AM

Terrible thing to happen. I have done about 4000 miles on the motorways in the past four weeks, and I have seen an incident almost every day. But, as Warren points out, they are still the safest roads we have. They would be even safer if the driving standards were improved.
Mike

My photos

Add Mikey2cv to your Flikr contacts and I will send you an invite to join the Pumapeople friends group.

#13 User is offline   Guy Incognito 

Posted 21 July 2008 - 10:52 AM

That is a real shame. I hope the police don't get the blame as if the theif hadn't stolen it then the problem would have not existed! sad.gif

#14 Guest_Tiggr_*

Posted 21 July 2008 - 11:51 AM

He has been charged with

"Causing death by dangerous driving"

"Bugulary"

#15 User is offline   BenF 

• View gallery

Posted 21 July 2008 - 02:14 PM

QUOTE (Tiggr @ Jul 21 2008, 12:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He has been charged with

"Causing death by dangerous driving"

"Bugulary"

good, but is that second charge a cross between burglary and buggery?

wink.gif

Someone stole my Thunder...

#16 Guest_Tiggr_*

Posted 21 July 2008 - 02:16 PM

roflmao.gif

I had 3 attempts at spelling it too!

Never mind wink.gif

#17 User is offline   souldrive 

Posted 21 July 2008 - 06:19 PM

If he was being tailed by the "chopper" why did the police need to ensue a high speed chase? Granted he should have stopped to avert any sort of pursuit but the police chase must have been contributory?

He'll probably get off with serving 2 years then sell his story to the sun or the bbc like Brendon Fearon did when his "wonderful" life was shot in the balls by Tony Martin - who in my oppinion is a hero! The 2 assailants were from my home town, both of whom were (---)s! in fact, brendon was heard by my mate in the gym saying "kids have no respect anymore." is that surprising when they have role models like you brendon?

Bit of a rant sorry mad.gif
IF WE BELIEVE, WE CAN ACHIEVE!!

www.myspace.com/souldriverock

www.souldriveuk.co.uk

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic