Pumapeople: Newbie's Unite! You Have A New Member! - Pumapeople

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Newbie's Unite! You Have A New Member! intro, and a little question about.... keys! Rate Topic: -----

#1 Guest_sythadmin_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 12 December 2007 - 12:32 PM

gidday mates,

let me introduce myself for a moment:

My name is Matthis Jager from The Netherlands (Utrecht), 25 years old and my current employer pays me to play as a Systems Administrator.

Since April 2007 I also am the proud owner of a Ford Puma 1.4 16V, bought it 2nd hand, but it was serviced by a Ford dealer wich was quite a nice thing to know. Only problem is that my dear little wheelie-cat has now cost me more in repairs then the actual price I bought it for....

However now it runs fine and I was wondering the following:

When i bought the car i got the standard key (no buttons on it) and the little useless T shaped thing used to make the copies and such. My car also has a central locking system BUT I was wondering if there was any way I could find out if it already has a remote option for it too. Could be that the previous owner lost that key or something but I do not know how to check that.

Thanks in advance and my appoligies for any grammar that's not quite what it should be,

Syth

#2 Guest_Tiggr_*

Posted 12 December 2007 - 12:40 PM

Welcome to the club!

As far as I know, all Puma's came with remote locking, the early ones ( pre 2000, with the non LCD milometer ) had infra red ( two buttons on key ), the later ones had radio control ( 3 buttons on key )

Your local dealer should be able to help, but they are not cheap.

#3 User is offline   e3silversurfer 

• Group: Members

Posted 12 December 2007 - 12:46 PM

I am a sys admins as well smile.gif welcome to the club

#4 Guest_sythadmin_*

Posted 12 December 2007 - 12:54 PM

yeah thats the one i got (1999), infra-red..... then there should be a reciever somewhere in the car....

anybody know where? (got a blinking red light next to my clock that might be it).

#5 Guest_Tiggr_*

Posted 12 December 2007 - 12:57 PM

Its up behind the rear view mirror

No longer sys admin - now security wink.gif even more scope for causing chaos wink.gif

#6 Guest_sythadmin_*

Posted 12 December 2007 - 01:01 PM

QUOTE (Tiggr @ Dec 12 2007, 01:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Its up behind the rear view mirror

No longer sys admin - now security wink.gif even more scope for causing chaos wink.gif

hmmm.... don't think i have anything behind my rear-view mirror, maybe it was optionnal?

#7 User is offline   e3silversurfer 

Posted 12 December 2007 - 01:10 PM

look for this module in your puma wink.gif

the receiver is the black thingy

#8 Guest_sythadmin_*

Posted 12 December 2007 - 01:29 PM

QUOTE (e3silversurfer @ Dec 12 2007, 02:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
look for this module in your puma wink.gif

the receiver is the black thingy

ok I definitly do NOT have that ugly orb flying above me while driving (or some kind of alien reception disc) so I don't think my car has it installed... beam me up scotty!

ok then now that that's clear, is it possible to install the RF version of the remote afterwards? or does that require new keys/locks/ignition too?

#9 User is offline   YOG 

Posted 12 December 2007 - 08:53 PM

QUOTE (sythadmin @ Dec 12 2007, 01:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ok I definitly do NOT have that ugly orb flying above me while driving (or some kind of alien reception disc) so I don't think my car has it installed... beam me up scotty!

ok then now that that's clear, is it possible to install the RF version of the remote afterwards? or does that require new keys/locks/ignition too?

Hi

Have a look at this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/REMOTE-CENTRAL-LOCKI...1QQcmdZViewItem

Regards.
Rick

The Haynes Fiesta Manual (3397) can answer a lot of your questions.
Posted Image

#10 User is offline   Hurman 

Posted 12 December 2007 - 09:03 PM

We've just made 8 escalators to go into the station at Utrecht. If you travel through there at all you may well go on one of our KONE escalators.

Welcome to the site, it is full of friendly and well informed people. I have found it extremely useful and fun tongue.gif

#11 User is offline   Guy Incognito 

Posted 12 December 2007 - 09:05 PM

quiker to fit an aftermarket system, that will come with remote locking module and have the added bonus of making your car more secure.

My wife used to live in Utrecht when her dad was stationed there. he was RAF brass for their hospitals but dont know if the base or whatever is still there.

Your grammar is far better than most on here by the way! tongue.gif Mine included.

Welcome to the site too!

#12 User is offline   Midnight Blue 

• View gallery

Posted 12 December 2007 - 09:12 PM

Hi - welcome to the site.

Mine is a '99 V reg and has 3 button fob
Posted Image

I stole BenF's Thunder ...

Pat

#13 Guest_Tiggr_*

Posted 12 December 2007 - 09:13 PM

QUOTE (guyincognito1975 @ Dec 12 2007, 09:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
quiker to fit an aftermarket system, that will come with remote locking module and have the added bonus of making your car more secure.

My wife used to live in Utrecht when her dad was stationed there. he was RAF brass for their hospitals but dont know if the base or whatever is still there.

Your grammar is far better than most on here by the way! tongue.gif Mine included.

Welcome to the site too!

OOooooo! I was in Utrecht for a few months - fab city - full of students wink.gif

#14 User is offline   Guy Incognito 

Posted 12 December 2007 - 09:17 PM

I lied! she has just come home to tell me i am a muppet! She did live near Maastricht whicj does sound a bit like it.

wacko.gif

#15 User is offline   Rock Chick 

Posted 12 December 2007 - 10:09 PM

Hi Matthis, welcome to the site.
- Val

#16 Guest_sythadmin_*

Posted 13 December 2007 - 12:52 PM

well thanks for all the attention wink.gif

Yesterday I checked if my car had the remote stuff built into it, alass nothing found so there's definitly nothing remotely remote (ghehe my first pun) about my little tiger.

Upon checking the car I also was quite startled by the fact that it does not seem to have any built-in alarm system either (even though the salesperson said it did have one).

So to put it in short: might want to install a full option alarm and remote system, did some searching around and I found some stuff from Camco Systems wich might do the trick: http://www.camcosystems.nl/ (yes it's Dutch sorry about that)

#17 User is offline   YOG 

Posted 13 December 2007 - 04:20 PM

QUOTE (sythadmin @ Dec 13 2007, 12:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
well thanks for all the attention ;)

Yesterday I checked if my car had the remote stuff built into it, alass nothing found so there's definitly nothing remotely remote (ghehe my first pun) about my little tiger.

Upon checking the car I also was quite startled by the fact that it does not seem to have any built-in alarm system either (even though the salesperson said it did have one).

So to put it in short: might want to install a full option alarm and remote system, did some searching around and I found some stuff from Camco Systems wich might do the trick: http://www.camcosystems.nl/ (yes it's Dutch sorry about that)

Hi
Sorry, can't read Dutch, but there are lots of systems on the market.

My 2002 Thunder did not have a full alarm fitted as standard either (like most/all? Pumas), just an immobiliser and the car horn linked to the door/boot switches. This meant that the horn did not sound if a thief did not open the doors or boot. However, they could still break a window, reach inside and steal anything left in the car (such as the Ford 6006e radio with the 6 CD system built in)! I have had fitted a Sigma S32 Thatcham approved 2:1 upgrade which has it's own battery backed up siren, ultrasonic interior protection and is armed/disarmed when using the standard central locking remote. In addition, there is a keypad which must have a code entered before the engine will start, even when the alarm is disarmed.

Regards.

This post has been edited by 19rick47: 13 December 2007 - 04:23 PM

Rick

The Haynes Fiesta Manual (3397) can answer a lot of your questions.
Posted Image

#18 User is offline   cubapuma 

Posted 14 December 2007 - 10:54 PM

QUOTE (sythadmin @ Dec 13 2007, 12:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
well thanks for all the attention wink.gif

Hi and welcome biggrin.gif . Sounds like you should go back to the sales person, if it was a dealer, and ask for a refund for the alarm you don't have (and for anything else that was wrong). ohmy.gif .
The first time I saw you I knew it was Love.
You're the one that I want,
Yes you are!.....Cuba!
The Gibson Bros

#19 User is offline   Sw33t 

Posted 15 December 2007 - 09:47 AM

Hi welcome!

My 1999 also has the 3button remote. I don't know how you would check on the vehicle though as I have never come across the receiver.

#20 User is offline   Dan 

• View gallery

Posted 15 December 2007 - 12:06 PM

The receiver for the IR remote is in the light as pictured in a previous post. The "Anti Theft/Central Locking Module" which this runs to is in the driver's (if RHD) footwell (basically opposite to the PCM).

The receiver for the RF remote is built into the Generic Electronic Module (GEM) which is the big thing that the relays and fuses plug into near your right knee (assuming RHD).

The change from IR to RF happened at 99¼ - if your car has digital odometer it will have the RF system.

It's most likely that the key was lost just not passed onto the dealer. Best to get a new one and get them to delete ALL transponer chips for the car and reprogram the ones you have.

And yes, Pumas have an alarm but unlocking the door with the key un-sets it so you will have a hard job setting it off. It's actually a different horn to the one in the engine bay (it's in the boot)

Try the following:

Roll down the windows
Lock the car with the key
Wait 30 seconds
Lean in and open the door from the inside
Alarm should sound and hazards flash

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic