• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Millenium Cleanup/rebuild Didn't start as a project.... Rate Topic: -----

#81 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:23 PM

Hopefully it will be the suspected parts and nothing else and easy sorted :)
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#82 User is offline   StevenRaith 

• Group: Members

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:12 PM

This took an 'obscene amount of coats to get right'

Posted Image

Good old Jonny May Posted Image

He suspects the lower rear arm bush is flaky, so have tapped up IanG for prices on Ford arms and advice on bushes, as I suspect my pattern part arms might baulk at FRP bushes, and definitely won't like polybushes...

This post has been edited by StevenRaith: 16 April 2013 - 10:13 PM

#83 User is offline   StevenRaith 

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:28 PM

Drivers side drop link was 'falling apart' so he's going to pick one up tomorrow, fit it, fill it back up with coolant and get it back to me.

Feeling quite chuffed with this - I might even fix the rear boot solenoid this weekend, which those with a long memory will remember me talking about on page one of this thread...

Ian G is on the hunt for lower arms for me for sometime in the next couple of weeks, I'll source some suitable bushes, hopefully by that time I'll have the rear arches, and Mr May can price me up for the rear arches and all the little things (bonnet edge, bottom of drivers door etc) that need sanding back and cleaning up.

At which point I can stop worrying about rust and suspension for the most part, and start having a look at the engine mounts, and see if I can find a better way of stopping the exhuast flex pipe from tearing thanks to my driving style (think big go kart) killing torque links and causing excessive engine roll - I suspect, at least.

#84 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:19 AM

Hey making progress :-) the car is going to feel great.
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#85 User is offline   StevenRaith 

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:10 PM

Bloody better, seeing as it look like my mech took my 'don't rush it, I'm on site all day tomorrow' to mean that he could finish it for Saturday. Might be done now, but he's got to get to Hull with his band tonight so likely already on the way there now!

Ah well, means I get beer to drink rather than staying sober to collect the car ;)

#86 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:21 PM

Yes there is a bright side ;) your Puma in the sun with the fresh paint is going to zing :D

#87 User is offline   StevenRaith 

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:29 PM

Pff. It's only one panel that has fresh paint :D

Needs fully machine polishing to evaluate the state of the rest of the paint, and for the little paint bits that need looking at (rust, dings, etc) and see how much it'll cost to get it all nice and cleaned up.

Still umming and aahing about lowering springs if I'm honest - I'll have a chat with the man himself this weekend, no doubt, and see what sort of state the general base of the car is like (springs, shocks, floorpan, bushes) and whether it's worth doing a bit more, or if it'd be fine as it is. Those lower arms want doing just because it gives options in future, either for me or a future buyer.

I quite like the rollover-then-grip or rollover-then-back-off-and-slide attitude it has, it's very friendly and neutral, I'm worried lowering springs might make that window of opportunity in the handling narrower, because I've only been driving a couple of years and while I'm very keen on driving properly (my dad used to do rallycross and sprints and the interest in driving fast continues....) I'm old enough to know I'm not invincible and my reactions aren't as good as they could be with more practice.

#88 User is offline   StevenRaith 

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:15 PM

Well, hallo there, trouble!

Posted Image

Front end is tighter now, wing looks bob on, ABS light off (and presumed working - I haven't had a chance to test it), no more clunking while driving and the temp guage sits bang in the middle regardless of road speed.

Still have a 'knobbling' under braking to the right which I suspect is a CV, and that bush is still suspect, so I'll still be after a pair of OEM lower arms and bushes and Jonny didn't have any comments on the shocks so I assume they aren't bad (he wasn't there when I collected - but I have a spare key and the OK to drive it off his property as he was out with the family), but I knew those weren't getting looked at right now, so otherwise very pleased!

#89 User is offline   StevenRaith 

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:43 PM

Polished and thrashed around Gods Country.

Silpho Bank:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Think the exhaust is blowing a little (nothing to do with my rev-limiter tests on backroads, lord not) but will see how it turns out.

Probably replace it with an OEM spec stainless system rather than something fruity, as I rather like it's calm, relaxed A/M road manners!

#90 User is offline   AndyReact 

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:02 AM

Ditch the small silencer, just brings the exhaust up to an audible level, without making you sound like a chav in a 1.2 clio!

#91 User is offline   PumaD23 

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:58 PM

really amazing colour :) very nice car!

#92 User is offline   StevenRaith 

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:04 PM

AndyReact, on 06 May 2013 - 09:02 AM, said:

Ditch the small silencer, just brings the exhaust up to an audible level, without making you sound like a chav in a 1.2 clio!

You mean the centre pipe, after the flex-pipe?

Doesn't affect MOT or owt seeing as it's not emission controlling?

Problem is the flexipipe I think, it always blows, probably due to soft engine mounts letting the engine move too much when I gun it. The car gets driven hard whenever possible, and my revmatching is perhaps not as good as I'd like to think it is Posted Image

Think I'll need stiffer mounts before bothering with any zorst based fiddling if I'm honest.

#93 User is offline   AndyReact 

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:58 AM

Yeah, I have a Hoffman race pipe on mine, standard size, but without the smaller silencer, if I went to a stainless system I would definitely get something similar!

Try changing the lower gearbox mount for something stiffer, that's gonna make the most difference, and its fairly cheap compared to upgraded versions of the other mounts!

This post has been edited by AndyReact: 08 May 2013 - 07:01 AM

#94 User is offline   StevenRaith 

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:25 PM

Got any video of what it sounds like? I use it as a daily driver (and for work, natch) so it can't be too stupid ;)

#95 User is offline   StevenRaith 

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:15 PM

As an aside, getting an easy 35mpg now the thermostat has been changed and I don't have to thrash the car to get the heaters proper toasty.

This picture should say it all, frankly....given I've been getting 180 mile tanks up till now:
Posted Image

#96 User is offline   StevenRaith 

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:25 PM

Also, went for a drive where some of this video was filmed.

Oddly, it quite liked it...

Posted Image

Pretty sure the roads were the moors roads, and also the fyingdales/blue bank whitby road - probably early morning as it's full of forty mph fvckwits 9am-9pm...

#97 User is offline   StevenRaith 

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:27 PM

Update:

I went on a backroad between sites and this happened:
Posted Image

Fear not kids - IanG is on the case.

Currently rocking the rat look:
Posted Image

I think that might be the original spare, and a twelve year old P6000 on there. It holds air and grips and isn't actually as perished as it might appear, so I'll live with it for now.

Bit annoyed if I'm honest - I planned to replace the front wheels anyway as they've got so much brake dust embedded in them - to the degree that I had to wet sand them to get most of it out. Cleaned them up a few weeks ago, and bugger one of them last week. Balls.

Ah well, just means I'll have a more expensive month than planned. Might have to investigate a straight mid section and new silencer at the same time, seeing as EvilRob is getting his shit together WRT to the rear arch pieces.... ;)

#98 User is offline   StevenRaith 

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:29 PM

Oh, also, going to switch the SP FastResponses for T1-Rs. HTH.

#99 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:25 PM

That was a nastey pot hole, bet you felt that when hit :/
Yo have saved loads in fuel money with the increased MPG

#100 User is offline   StevenRaith 

Posted 16 June 2013 - 03:22 PM

What's most annoying is that the right hand side of the road was proper cratered, so I moved to the left - just in time to see the massive pothole that took out the wheel. Hit a pothole on the right, too, think I have a slow leak as a result.

Bloody annoying more than anything else.

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic