• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Anyone Ever Cracked A Rib, Or Two? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   PussCat 

• Group: Members

Posted 05 November 2007 - 08:28 AM

Just wondering what it feels like!

Reason I ask is I took a bit of a tumble yesterday, managed to slip and fall forwards, landing on my camera (!) - camera seems to have survived the ordeal tho wink.gif

It completely winded me at the time and tho i found it a bit painful to move, it was bearable....

And then I went to bed last nite and had to lie down.... let's just say I've never muttered so many swear words in such a short time before lol.... got no sleep cos i couldn't get comfortable, and then this morning couldn't get out of bed without help!

So - have I just bruised em, or is it more likely I've cracked one??

And yes, I know I should go to A&E really but I can't, cos I'm training today! (I'm an IT Trainer)
Caz

http://www.justgiving.com/bokbok - "Just Giving Site" for the BHWT in Colin's Memory... please help a chicken today!

#2 User is offline   Guy Incognito 

Posted 05 November 2007 - 08:35 AM

feel around and see if you are visibly cracked. I cracked ribs playing rugby years ago when a 22 stone prop jumped on my chest and balls in a ruck.

It was very sore but I didnt notice the ribs at the time! laugh.gif

When i went to the doc he had a feela round and just strapped me up in a linen bandage and left me to heal.

It is worth going though as a really bad crack can push into your lung!

Hope you feel better soon theough! xx

#3 User is offline   BOK 

Posted 05 November 2007 - 12:52 PM

I would deffo get to A&E when you can, just to check it's nothing more serious. Be prepared to wait for some time though....

Amazing the camera is OK, they don't like being dropped much! Nor do people actually... wink.gif

#4 User is offline   PussCat 

Posted 05 November 2007 - 01:18 PM

will go down to a&e after i've finished work, if i can... just found out there's one about half a mile away from the office smile.gif
the problem with being a trainer is you can't just take time off when you like lol..... otherwise I'd have gone this morning!
really hoping it's just badly bruised... don't need this now, got the classic motor show in a couple of days time sad.gif

ta for the good wishes biggrin.gif
Caz

http://www.justgiving.com/bokbok - "Just Giving Site" for the BHWT in Colin's Memory... please help a chicken today!

#5 User is offline   massey_adrian 

Posted 05 November 2007 - 01:44 PM

I've bruised a rib a couple of times (once dingy sailing and on another occassion windsurfing) - it wasn't too bad during the day but trying to move when lying down in bed was really painful. Took ages to manoeuvre (thank God for spell check) myself out of bed in the morming.

I went to an A&E drop in centre - they basically confirmed it wasn't broken but sad they couldn't do much anything more other than advise the use of a painkiller if it became too painful.

Took a few weeks to fully recover.

My mate who cracked a rib had (or rarther has) some strange sticking out rib now that he didn't have before!

Good luck

Ade

#6 User is offline   Crystalpuma 

Posted 05 November 2007 - 01:48 PM

Eep, fingers crossed!
"Margaret was right...piracy is our only option"
Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

Nancy & Vix

#7 User is offline   JamesMalin 

• View gallery

Posted 05 November 2007 - 02:01 PM

I have broken a rib and cracked 2 ribs.

Both were very painful.

Docs will suggest plenty of rest regular painkillers aswell as wearing what i can only describe as a corset. Its like a huge tuba-grip and is very tight, very annoying but does the job!
www.oc-motorsport.co.uk

For all Ford Servicing, repairs and conversions. Call or pm me for details. Based in Brentwood, Essex

www.stuffbymonkey.co.uk

Official Member Of The 'BIG HITTERS' Club

#8 User is offline   Zero 

Posted 05 November 2007 - 04:15 PM

The only thing the hospital do now is give you painkillers, I broke 2 last year and 2 a couple of years ago. It's really sore when you cough or laugh etc. I could hardly get out of bed. I was expecting a corset like James mentioned (my dad got one) but the nurse said they don't do that anymore.

This post has been edited by Zero: 05 November 2007 - 04:33 PM

Zero

#9 User is offline   PussCat 

Posted 05 November 2007 - 04:39 PM

Not been able to get to a&e yet... I'm out of the office after today for a week so it'd be frowned on if I snook out!

but if all they're likely to do is give me parecetamol and send me home, I've probably not missed out on anything lol.... will try and get there this evening tho.

oh - and I'm glad I won't have to wear a corset.... doesn't sound very comfortable for everyday wear wink.gif
Caz

#10 User is offline   JamesMalin 

• View gallery

Posted 05 November 2007 - 06:50 PM

Your'd know if it was cracked/fractured or broken the pain is unbearable.

Bruised maybe is what your feeling. best to get checked out though.

I did mine about 7 years ago now.
www.oc-motorsport.co.uk

For all Ford Servicing, repairs and conversions. Call or pm me for details. Based in Brentwood, Essex

www.stuffbymonkey.co.uk

Official Member Of The 'BIG HITTERS' Club

#11 User is offline   PussCat 

Posted 05 November 2007 - 09:48 PM

well, I've been..... and it seems I have 'probably' fractured 2 ribs! Apparently they don't routinely do chest xrays any more, cos management of the problem is the same regardless of whether the ribs are cracked, broken or just bruised!

Lots of deep breathing and painkillers....
Caz

#12 User is offline   Supersonic 

Posted 05 November 2007 - 10:25 PM

Good luck with the treatment, I broke one last year on a fairground ride, it hurt but was bearable. I still get pains now that keep me from moving for a few mins but it's generally ok though, the docs won't do anything though.

#13 User is offline   angelbabes34 

Posted 05 November 2007 - 10:56 PM

sounds painfull,plenty of rest,hope you manage to get some sleep get well soon caz

Attended so far...5th August ford fair 2007...12th August 4 counties meet
8th September Vickydinks birthday meet...29th September Dambusters meet,Sheffield...Puma and Tigra
meet at Gaydon...January 2008....NE meet...23rd February..The dales are alive with the sound of pumas,Dales meet....15th March.....this is the story so far............!!!more to come,woooo hoooo! :-)

Life can only be understood
backwards,but it
has to be lived,forwards!!!

#14 User is offline   Sex Kitten 

• View gallery
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 06 November 2007 - 12:39 PM

ouch ee ow - get well soon
sex kitten
come up and see me...make me smile :wink:

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO -What a Ride!:D

1.7 Moondust Silver Sep 2002 - Aug 2009, 1.7 Silver Thunder Aug 2009 -

#15 User is offline   megamarty 

Posted 06 November 2007 - 04:51 PM

I cracked a couple of ribs on 2 occassions (drunk and fell down stairs....twice ! )
Worst thing was the early morning smokers cough......never felt pain like it before. Oh, and don't watch Blackadder for at least a couple of weeks smile.gif

#16 User is offline   PussCat 

Posted 06 November 2007 - 06:01 PM

lol.... I'm trying not to:

cough
sneeze
sniff
laugh
hiccup
burp
or cry...

never knew anything could be so debilitating lol... or that ribs were so important!

doesn't help stlll having 4 kittens running around an trying to run up your legs.... it's a double whammy now wink.gif

annoying thing was I was just about to take mt camera fron round ny neck and put it back in my bag when I fell.... sod's law, but I won't be making the same mistake again in a hurry wink.gif

oh well, the classic car show is only 2 days away - plenty time to recover by then - not! dry.gif
Caz

#17 User is offline   pumanurse 

Posted 06 November 2007 - 06:03 PM

Regular painkillers are must.

Don't wait for it to become intolerable before you take something.

Make a pad out of a folded towel (or similar) keep it handy to hold against the sore area to'brace' it if you need to cough.

Don't do anything too energetic!!!!
No Comment

#18 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 06 January 2008 - 04:29 PM

I'm joining the club today, though looks like they are just bruised. Slipped over on the ice and fell on a low wall with a brick on it. Ouch!! Dr gave a good prod and said think they are just bruised (thankfully wearing a very padded gerkin at the time of the fall).
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#19 User is offline   Guy Incognito 

Posted 06 January 2008 - 04:50 PM

you were wearing a padded gerkin? Were you a little pickled at the time? biggrin.gif

Remember deep breaths and painkillers. I think brufen based were best but codeine is good too. PN or Jessie will be able to tell you better than me what to take.

Hope you feel better soon.

#20 User is offline   BOK 

Posted 06 January 2008 - 05:06 PM

Glad you're OK K8, biggest worry for slipping is usually a broken arm from trying to prevent a fall...

Good advice re the

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic