• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

I Know Its Not Supposed To Wind Me Up but it does Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   BenF 

• View gallery
  • Group: Members

Posted 07 July 2008 - 10:54 AM

there is someone I know who is not going to work

I have known them for many years, and in that time they have always been on a company payroll but not gone to work for more than 3-4 months without going 'on the sick', usually for months at a time

admittedly they have sometimes been genuinely ill, but they have really milked it - when they tell me they have flu (for instance) but are well enough to be gardening/hanging out washing/shopping/taking their kids to school etc there is something wrong

they worked at one place, and when they found out that what little they were doing was not enough they made an excuse about the management being useless and got another job elsewhere - where they did little more and then blamed the management again

they got a second job to do while they were not at their main employer (but still on the sick), and then at the last minute didn't turn up for that either

this is not some numpty whose ambition is to hit the heights of an appearance on the Jeremy Kyle show - it is a (supposedly) mature graduate in a professional position

their spouse does not work at all (they are also a graduate who used to have a responsible, professional position) , and they have children

I ask myself who is ultimately supporting this family? I do not begrudge the children because there is nothing they can do, but the parents?

I started off being sympathetic, but that long since evaporated

rant over

Someone stole my Thunder...

#2 Guest_Tiggr_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 07 July 2008 - 11:21 AM

Dont even get me started on this one Ben,

Sick of permies who milk the system... Too many examples to mention, and its not public sector that seem to be the worst offenders.

#3 User is offline   HFStuart 

Posted 07 July 2008 - 11:42 AM

QUOTE (Tiggr @ Jul 7 2008, 11:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
and its not public sector that seem to be the worst offenders.

My wife has a different take on that. She's a senior social worker and there are always members of her team long term sick with 'stress' or a back problem.

They fall into two categories.

1. The dedicated worker that's been doing stupid hours, is really good at their job but gets frustrated at the lack of money and care available for those who need it. They get signed off for a fortnight and try to come back to work after 2 or 3 days. They come back and et asked by the authority to review their caseload and reduce all care costs by 20%

2. The rest. Ineffective at the best of times, work 8:59 to 17:01 damage their back lifting a laptop, get signed off for a week and aren't seen for 6 months. The local authority fail to notice their weeks bodyboarding holiday while off sick.

You'd hope in social work there weren't too many of type 2. Sadly there are and they're a prime cause of the stress of the type 1 and according to the Council they're virtually impossible to sack.

Stuart
Stuart

#4 Guest_Tiggr_*

Posted 07 July 2008 - 11:48 AM

Oh dont i know it.

3 years work at JPM, two team members never seen in entire contract.

Both off long term sick.

One, was team leader!!! Had got job through old boy network, found she couldnt do it, went off with stress, and after two years, got full pension and retired.

Not bad for 3 weeks work.

Nice little earner, given she retired on 65 grand... Final salary pension...

Not wanting to come over all goody goody, but i was working 5 days after breaking my leg, as no bloody sick pay. Guy in team has 4 months off with a bunion.

Used to get wound up, now I just see me for the fool I am for being a contractor.

#5 User is offline   kitf 

Posted 07 July 2008 - 12:49 PM

QUOTE (HFStuart @ Jul 7 2008, 11:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My wife has a different take on that. She's a senior social worker and there are always members of her team long term sick with 'stress' or a back problem.
They fall into two categories.

1. The dedicated worker that's been doing stupid hours, is really good at their job but gets frustrated at the lack of money and care available for those who need it. They get signed off for a fortnight and try to come back to work after 2 or 3 days. They come back and et asked by the authority to review their caseload and reduce all care costs by 20%

2. The rest. Ineffective at the best of times, work 8:59 to 17:01 damage their back lifting a laptop, get signed off for a week and aren't seen for 6 months. The local authority fail to notice their weeks bodyboarding holiday while off sick.

You'd hope in social work there weren't too many of type 2. Sadly there are and they're a prime cause of the stress of the type 1 and according to the Council they're virtually impossible to sack.

Ah the joy of working for local government!! Although i can't criticise too much as Hampshire equal opportunities policy allowed me an interview when i might've previously been denied at other places! I was signed off for nearly a year, which almost drove me blooming potty!!!!

We have had similar people at my work in the past... people who've had 40 days off sick in one year! Another of my friends has phoned into his old place sick whilst standing in a layby in Croyde watching the surf....

#6 User is offline   BenF 

• View gallery

Posted 07 July 2008 - 12:55 PM

QUOTE (kitf @ Jul 7 2008, 12:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was signed off for nearly a year, which almost drove me blooming potty!!!!

that's the difference - some people would make the most of the opportunity to take as much time off as they could - you clearly do not fall into that category

#7 User is offline   PussCat 

Posted 07 July 2008 - 01:03 PM

Where I work, you are 'allowed' up to 15 days off sick without being penalised.... any more than that and you get investigated - unless there's a valid reason, of course... and it's amazing how many people take 14 or 15 days off sick each year.... just because they can ranting2.gif
Caz

http://www.justgiving.com/bokbok - "Just Giving Site" for the BHWT in Colin's Memory... please help a chicken today!

#8 User is offline   BenF 

• View gallery

Posted 07 July 2008 - 01:26 PM

I have heard of that system being operated - I knew a manager who used to send flowers round to someone who called in sick - and then went round to see them. If he caught them out they were history! The problem he had with people throwing sickies did not last long.

I am sure that there is some form of legislation that wold stop him doing that these days...

What seems so wrong is when people take time off and get paid for it while their colleagues have to do their job for them as well as doing their own (or cover for them at the least). Some people have no conscience.

#9 Guest_Tiggr_*

Posted 07 July 2008 - 01:29 PM

QUOTE (BenF @ Jul 7 2008, 02:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am sure that there is some form of legislation that wold stop him doing that these days...

Would no doubt be seen as infringing their human rights

#10 User is offline   BenF 

• View gallery

Posted 07 July 2008 - 01:36 PM

I know one chap who was wise to what could be proved so he was off with dizziness, earache or stomach ache - all depending on which one he had used the last time

how he managed to hang on to his job when he was caught moonlighting when he was supposed to be in work beats me...

I think reading this thread is not doing my blood pressure any good!

#11 User is offline   kitf 

Posted 07 July 2008 - 01:42 PM

QUOTE (BenF @ Jul 7 2008, 01:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think reading this thread is not doing my blood pressure any good!

Deep Breaths... It's almost the Holidays!

#12 User is offline   shyann 

Posted 07 July 2008 - 02:02 PM

At my work place they have a traffic light system - green = 1 period of sickness
- amber = 2 " " "
- red = 3 " " "
whether its 1 day or 1 week or more.

Some people play the system & make sure they take a week off.
Mind you there are some genuine people -
My friend Dave he'd worked at B &Q for 10 years with only the odd day off, got Bowel Cancer had major operation,colostomy bag & other complications & returned to work [after OK from consultant] 15 months later. They [work] made him feel like he was malingering by they kept calling him up asking further questions dry.gif

There's two sides of the story - those who malinger & the genuine ones.

Ann

#13 User is offline   BenF 

• View gallery

Posted 07 July 2008 - 02:09 PM

I agree Ann, and it is a good boss who knows the difference.

Some employers/managers also get in touch because they genuinely care, not because they do not trust the person who has called in ill.

(does not alter the fact that I am being wound up by someone who is highly qualified and has developed ergophobia and seems to be getting away with it long term)

#14 User is offline   mort666 

Posted 07 July 2008 - 02:50 PM

at our place they have a points system for any unauthorised days off (sickess, lateness etc.)

they calculate the points using the formula:

(number of times off x number of times off) x total days off = total points.

so say you were off three times with 2 days off each time, your total would be:

(3x3)x6 = 54

if you get to 60 in any 12 month period you have to have a review as to why you have had the time off. you then start another 12 month period and if you get to 60 again you get a written warning if it's not genuine illnesses, then after that it's a sackable offence.

I guess people can still claim it's genuine even if it isn't, but at least it gives the managers the ability to give people the sack over it if they choose to. It must work to some degree because a lot of people are now scared to have time off if they just have a cold. It's definitely making people think twice.

The system is also good as it allows people to have a long time off for an op etc. but the ones who take the piss get up to their limit very quickly smile.gif

A few people have already been sacked using this system.
Journeyed to the green hell and survived
A good friend will help you move; A true friend will help you move the bodies

#15 User is offline   kitf 

Posted 07 July 2008 - 03:35 PM

QUOTE (shyann @ Jul 7 2008, 03:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My friend Dave he'd worked at B &Q for 10 years with only the odd day off, got Bowel Cancer had major operation,colostomy bag & other complications & returned to work [after OK from consultant] 15 months later. They [work] made him feel like he was malingering by they kept calling him up asking further questions

I tend to get similar reactions myself. Although not due to bowel cancer, I've had my colon removed and sometimes despite the fact i don't want too, I have to have a day off for it. I had loads of problems with work asking me how this situation could be improved and was there anything else that could be done (which there isn't). From my point of view it's a small price to pay for what is a much happier life smile.gif.

#16 User is offline   Pumasparky 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 07 July 2008 - 04:27 PM

I have known people go into work with broken limbs. Where I work, if you are off work due to a work related injury or problem, they try to encourage you back to work even if while you are there, you are just tidying data and sorting out drawings and info. It's all down to getting the accident figures down.

I have known situations where they have been very good to people. One guy was affected by a condition where he passed out a few times, he was put on medication and his driving licence was suspended. The firm paid for him to have an account for taxis to and from work.

Sometimes he would be taken home by workmates at the end of the day, the guy is a genuine hard worker and is well respected. After a year, he got his licence back and the firm had kept an excellent worker occupied and at work being productive for the cost a few taxis.

Saying that, there are some people who never take sick time, because it's bad form, and there are those that are off sick regularly.

There's always someone who will abuse the system.

Thank goodness most of us are hard working and dedicated.

This post has been edited by Pumasparky: 07 July 2008 - 04:29 PM

PUMASPARKY

#17 User is offline   LisaDJ 

Posted 07 July 2008 - 04:41 PM

QUOTE (mort666 @ Jul 7 2008, 02:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
at our place they have a points system for any unauthorised days off (sickess, lateness etc.)

they calculate the points using the formula:

(number of times off x number of times off) x total days off = total points.

so say you were off three times with 2 days off each time, your total would be:

(3x3)x6 = 54

if you get to 60 in any 12 month period you have to have a review as to why you have had the time off. you then start another 12 month period and if you get to 60 again you get a written warning if it's not genuine illnesses, then after that it's a sackable offence.

yeah its the Bradford system, our place uses this.

At my old place there were a couple of people who were off so much, one in my dept. We called her sicknote for a laugh.

I used to be quite bad for calling in when I was employed by an agency (cos I couldn't get out of bed on a Monday) but I was young & I didn't get sick pay. (at the time it didn't matter cos I was on £100 a day and lived with my parents, I could afford to have a day off a week).

I am very good now smile.gif

#18 User is offline   Jessie 

Posted 07 July 2008 - 04:57 PM

I wish ours got a bit more tough with the time off sick they don't bother with any kind of investigation even though there is one member of staff that hasn't managed a whole month without a day off since March 2007!

Another basically forced management to give her 2 weeks annual leave where others wouldn't have been allowed to so that she could go home to Poland to have dental work done because she didn't want an extraction and the alternative was £1000 here. She still ended up having the extraction and two weeks holiday instead bhaaw.gif
Atheism is a non-prophet organisation

#19 User is offline   mikey2cv 

• View gallery

Posted 07 July 2008 - 05:34 PM

I find it best to concentrate on yourself, and not worry what others do. That way madness lies!
Mike

My photos

Add Mikey2cv to your Flikr contacts and I will send you an invite to join the Pumapeople friends group.

#20 User is offline   warrenpenalver 

Posted 07 July 2008 - 06:09 PM

its not that simple though mikey!!

The fact that pisses off a lot of people is that they are hard working decent folk being forced to pay for a significant number of lazy shites be it through extra work to cover them, increased taxes etc.
Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic