• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Clocked At 41mph

#1 User is offline   Copestake 

• Group: Members

Posted 21 September 2006 - 11:54 AM

Absolutely gutted. Letter through the post this morning, caught doing 41mph in a 30zone. My choice is either to pay Å“60 and take 3 points or go to court. Is there any way at all I can get saved from this 1112202173.gif

#2 User is offline   neugy 

Posted 21 September 2006 - 11:55 AM

Probably not - just remember all the other times when you didn't get caught, then pay up... That's what I did. sad.gif
#207 (no more)

#3 User is offline   Stacey 

Posted 21 September 2006 - 11:55 AM

You done the crime, you pay the fine!

#4 User is offline   StarMonkey 

• View gallery

Posted 21 September 2006 - 11:58 AM

Tell them you were testing the capabilities of the car.

well if it works for the police....

#5 User is offline   Copestake 

Posted 21 September 2006 - 12:01 PM

I could barely afford insurance anyway.

#6 User is offline   Stacey 

Posted 21 September 2006 - 12:06 PM

Just need to keep a beady eye on your speedo then ;-)

I got caught doing 43mph in a 30 zone when i was 17 and at the time i was sooo p!ssed off, was thinking my god they got nothing better to do with their time bla bla bla, but seeing adverts like the ones with the little kids, dead if u hit them at 40, 'fine' if u hit them at 30..made it too scary for me..

i know its a pain, driving at 30 on some roads is like snails pace.. but it is there for a reason i spose, not jst to pee us off ...

smile.gif

#7 User is offline   MattC 

Posted 21 September 2006 - 12:08 PM

as far as your insurance is concerned, it should not drastically affect your premium as most people have 3 points on their licence these days.

I know how you feel- it got caught doing 40 in a 30, and then got caught doing 111.3 mph on the M23 two weeks later.

#8 User is offline   Copestake 

Posted 21 September 2006 - 12:10 PM

Already looking at ways to avoid the points, not sure if they work but seems pretty good. PM if your intrested.

#9 User is offline   spenspuma 

Posted 21 September 2006 - 12:13 PM

I know how ya feel....

I got done for doing 36,37 and 38 in a 30 zone!! 9 Points all under 40mph!!!...

And the annoying part??....2 were at the same camera that was changed to a 40mph just a month later!! 9.gif and they were both on the way to football at 7am on a Sunday morning with not another car on the road!!!

Im just unlucky.....now i drive everywhere at 30 !!! crazy.gif
SPENCER
FORD PUMA THUNDER 2002 (SOLD)
HONDA CRZ 2013

#10 Guest_XIIVVX_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 21 September 2006 - 12:15 PM

You would have had at least 45 showing on your speedo.

No point fighting it, you'll end up paying anyway unless you genuinely do lend the car to lots of other people and can prove it.

<Touches Wood> My only current endorsement come off my licence quite soon smile.gif

XIIVVX

#11 User is offline   Copestake 

Posted 21 September 2006 - 12:19 PM

I'm not payin up, ill see them in court

#12 User is offline   MattC 

Posted 21 September 2006 - 12:22 PM

pay up- if you go to court they will add court costs and up the points from 3 to 6.

The only things you dont have to pay are parking tickets cos they give up chasing you after 6 months.

(someone once3 told me that if you send them a cheque for Å“61, they have to send you a cheque for Å“1 back, and the points don't go on your licence til the Å“1 cheque has been cashed)

#13 User is offline   Copestake 

Posted 21 September 2006 - 12:24 PM

I have heard that too. I'm looking at this book

http://www.uk-driving-secrets.com/beat/

#14 User is offline   MattC 

Posted 21 September 2006 - 12:31 PM

buy the book and then charge people for hints and tips!

-or put a link up on PP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#15 User is offline   Pumagirl19 

Posted 21 September 2006 - 12:32 PM

Let us know if it's worth the 27.95!! tongue.gif

Sorry to hear about being caught by the way

#16 User is offline   mackie 

Posted 21 September 2006 - 12:34 PM

I doubt you'll get out of it unless you can prove you weren't driving or that the road signage was incorrect or something like that. Just take it on the chin.

Here's a good resource:

http://www.pepipoo.com/

#17 User is offline   Ratty 

Posted 21 September 2006 - 12:39 PM

Pay up, you were caught (unless you are on 9 points)...

...plus with speedo's are (generally) 10% deficient, so speedo was probably reading in the region of 45 mph anyway...
Malcolm
Stardust Silver Mondeo 130 TDCi Ghia Est.
Yamahooha MT-01 :@)
Honda 600 Hornet. - Now gone :@
Ex-Radiant Red 1.7 FaRPied Kat - Gone for ever :@(
Jewel Green Focus 115 TDCi Ghia Est. - Gone to good home ;@)

#18 User is offline   Ali 

Posted 21 September 2006 - 12:41 PM

QUOTE (frp338 @ Sep 21 2006, 01:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
pay up- if you go to court they will add court costs and up the points from 3 to 6.

The only things you dont have to pay are parking tickets cos they give up chasing you after 6 months.

(someone once3 told me that if you send them a cheque for Å“61, they have to send you a cheque for Å“1 back, and the points don't go on your licence til the Å“1 cheque has been cashed)

The DJ on our local radio station heard this as he got clocked. So he did as people suggested and sent Å“1 over, they cashed all of it. No change.

#19 User is offline   Rog 

• Location:In an R32 on the twisty bits of the North York Moors

Posted 21 September 2006 - 12:45 PM

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/219567.stm

http://www.clickpress.com/releases/Detailed/5644005cp.shtml

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...amp;expand=true

From the Daily Mail:

This is the heart-stopping moment every motorist dreads. As you drive along the road, a police officer points a laser speed gun towards you.

Glancing at the dashboard, you breathe a sigh of relief: the speedometer reveals that your car is travelling below the 30mph limit. But a month later, a letter drops through your door. You face a fine for speeding and penalty points on your licence.

It is claimed that you were driving at 41mph - not 28mph. Can that high speed really be true? Staggeringly, the answer may be no.

Motorists accused of driving too fast on Britain's roads insist the real culprit is a laser speed gun officially approved by the Home Office and used by almost every police authority in the country. For the Mail has discovered that the LTI 20.20.gun is seriously flawed.

In our tests, it wrongly recorded a wall as travelling at 44mph, an empty road scored 33mph, a parked car was clocked as doing 22mph and a bicycle (in reality being ridden at 5mph) rocketed along at an impossible 66mph.

Imported from America, the LTI 20.20. is used in nearly 3,500 mobile speed units hidden in police vans or cars and mounted on motorbikes.

Speed traps - nearly half of which now use laser gun technology - reap more than Å“100 million each year in fines. This is shared between the police, the Highways Agency, the courts, the Home Office and local authorities.

Ironically, some of the huge sum is used to pay for even more police speed reinforcement teams relying on exactly the same laser speed gun at the centre of the Mail's investigation.

Rigorous tests

We subjected the speed gun to rigorous tests. Alarmingly, we discovered it was prone to wildly wide-of-the-mark readings, even when set up according to the police's own guidelines and the manufacturer's handbook.

In other tests, we found the equipment was measuring the speed of overtaking cars instead of the one being targeted.

Today, the Mail can expose the scandal of a speed enforcement industry in which the collection of fines is considered paramount - whatever the consequences for innocent drivers caught in police traps by faulty readings.

In the past nine years, an extraordinary one-in-five drivers has been fined for speeding, despite many protesting their innocence.

Lawyers we spoke to say motorists are now rebelling by refusing to pay fines and fighting their cases through the courts.

One voicing concern is Barry Culshaw, a Southampton solicitor currently acting for 15 drivers nationwide. "They complain of huge errors," he says. "Drivers say they were within the speed limit and yet the LTI 20.20. recorded them doing excessive speed."

Another disquieting discovery is that vital video film - often taken at a speed-trap site for use as secondary evidence - is often mysteriously withheld from motorists by the Crown Prosecution Service.

On at least ten occasions the Crown has suddenly dropped the case against a motorist when ordered by a judge to hand over the telling footage.

Michael Morgan, who runs a British website collating complaints against laser speed guns, said: "The authorities often wriggle rather than release the video, which would expose the laser gun to scrutiny in a court of law. No doubt they fear the enormous consequences, including a clamour for fine refunds and compensation over the loss of licences or even livelihoods."

Expert witnesses compromised

Alarmingly, the Mail can reveal, too, that the main expert witness used by the CPS to convict motorists in such cases - a former police officer named Frank Garratt - also makes his living as boss of the company importing the devices into Britain. Perhaps not surprisingly, Mr Garratt, a millionaire, told the Mail the LTI 20.20. works perfectly well.

One of the gun's toughest critics is Dr Michael Clark, Europe's leading expert on laser technology. He is a former company director of a British firm making laser detection equipment for traffic lights and car parks.

Dr Clark was clocked, apparently speeding, by a laser gun three years ago. He fought his case through the courts, proving he was travelling below the limit. He has acted as an expert witness on behalf of many motorists since.

"I was drawn into this controversy because I know about laser science. I do not rely on my court appearances or the speed enforcement industry to make a living," he told the Mail when we asked him to help - without payment - in our experiments.

Dr Clark says that the gun is defective because its wide beam can easily pick up the wrong vehicle. Furthermore, if the device is not held firmly on the target - and this is a difficult task - it can produce an erroneous speed result by "slippage".

Reflections from road signs and from other cars - even one stationary on the kerbside - can also make the laser gun misinterpret the truth.

THIS IS AN ABRIDGED VERSION OF THE STORY THAT APPEARED IN THE DAILY MAIL.

It might just be faulty, how do you know it wasn't?
VW Golf MK V R32 - Outstanding car for all occasions
Ford Racing Puma #148 - What can I say that hasn't already been said about these cars?
Merc CLK 320 - Good Points - Comfortable, Bad Points - Comfortable!
Subaru Impreza Turbo WRX STI Type RA - 4 doors, 5 seats, a boot and 0-60 in 4.3! It doesn't get much better!
VW Golf MK2 GTI 16v Special (celebrating the 10 millionth Golf) - my baby, shouldn't have sold her
Pug 205 GTI 1.9 - an even bigger hoot!
Pug 205 GTI 1.6 - a hoot!
VW Beetle (new one from Mexico) - really quite good
1962 Mini 800 - always breaking down

#20 User is offline   Stacey 

Posted 21 September 2006 - 12:52 PM

I think you should just pay up... at the end of the day you know you were in the wrong so why should you get away with it?

they will realise your an 18 year old lad annoyed that you have points and therefore insurance will go up a bit... they will probably hang you in court just to make an example of you...

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic