Pumapeople: Mot Failure - Time To Scrap :-( - Pumapeople

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mot Failure - Time To Scrap :-(

#1 User is offline   Trixie 

• Group: Members

Posted 24 August 2017 - 01:14 PM

As I type this, I'm gutted. My beloved Puma failed its MOT on Tuesday on some corroded brake lines, some corroded and split power steering lines and hose, n/s rear suspension mounting area rusted and binding front brake offside front.

I also got a number of advisories: oil leak (which I suspect is actually the power steering fluid leaking from the spit hose), slightly deteriorated brake and power steering lines (in addition to the corrosion listed above), rust on inner and outer sills, slight exhaust leak, low percentage on one side of the handbrake and slight deterioration of engine mount.

I took the car to a local council tester as i thought there wouldn't be any vested interest to fail, as opposed to a garage. This has come as a bit of a shock, as in April last year the same tester passed the car with only a few advisories. I then had the car tested in the Isle of Man in March and that flew through with just two advisories. In fairness, the tester has said that what it's failed on is all pretty minor considering the age of the car.

I've got a quote from a local garage (who are pretty good) and they've quoted me £600 for the MOT failure work (most of that is labour and it includes the time in having to drop out the subframe to be able to weld). That's more than the car is worth. It's only got 92k on the clock and has never failed to start on the button each time. It's served me well and I'm going to be gutted to see it go. Unfortunately I have nowhere to work on the car, nor do I know any cheap mechanics.

I'll put it up for sale here for spares/repair and if no luck, its going to have to go to automotive heaven :-(

#2 User is offline   Y0ungn1ck 

• Group: Members

Posted 24 August 2017 - 02:22 PM

So sorry to hear that Trixie.
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 in Medium Steel Blue, 1971 Triumph GT6 Mk3 in Wedgewood Blue, 2016 VW Polo GTI 1.8 TSI in Flash Red.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic