Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Owning A Frp I WANT ONE

#1 User is offline   smila14 

• View gallery
  • Group: Members

Posted 25 August 2007 - 09:03 AM

Right i must admit im in love with the Ford Racing Puma but what are they like to drive ? Do they cost a bomb to run and whats the insurance like.
Ive currently got a standardard (but overfueling and quick) puma, and i liove everything about it. But looking at FRP's makes me want one.
W116 PBN - PUMA BOY SMILA
IPB Image

#2 User is offline   Big Boy Al 

• View gallery

Posted 25 August 2007 - 09:31 AM

it totally depends on what you like in a car whether you will like an frp or not.

the frp is alot harder/firmer than a standard puma on standard shocks etc anyway and also its alot louder.

the exhaust system sounds great and everytime you lift off the throttle it pops and crackles as the revs slow down.

see here: http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b147/big...;current=Al.flv
http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b147/big...rrent=good1.flv
http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b147/big...rrent=good3.flv
http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b147/big...rrent=good2.flv

i love the hard ride as it makes me feel part of the car and the seats will keep you in you in place and you wont move even on the hardest cornering.

the looks you get from people who have never seen one make you smile everytime you see them looking and it never stops giving you a buzz when you spot them, ive had so many thumbs up and smiles from people and also had alot of people asking what is it.

my old standard puma was modified with bigger brakes, lowered suspension, strut braces, poly bushes etc and i used to think it was brilliant handling wise, but when i learnt how to use the frp to its full potential there is nothing like it to drive for me, the grip is just immense but do be careful in the rain as frp's are renowned for the back end stepping out due to the wider track and bigger tyres etc as sadly another person found out last week, but ive just learnt to be alot more steady in the rain as it gets driven very hard around corners in the dry.

maintenance is a bit of a who knows question, if things have been done then you could avoid big costs for a long time but if things like brakes and exhaust system etc need doing or replacing then its big money.

a full brake rebuild could cost you 1k as calipers are nearly £500 each and disks are £220 each an pads are about £110 but if these are well serviced once a year then the calipers should keep good fo a long time and disks should last a few years etc. but if thy havent been looked after then big bills could start.

the exhaust system is also expensive if things havent been done but by now most frp's would have had replacement oem parts of stainless steel parts fitted, but if you do need new exhaust parts then it gets dear again. a complete system including manifold, centre section and back box will cost anything from £600- £1000 depending on oem or aftermarket parts.

the next thing is body panels. a rear or front bumper is over £700 unpainted or fitted and wings are over £600 each and there really isnt many left from speaking to a few people in the know so soon frp numbers will be getting lower and lower i would imagine.

frp parts, well the special parts are becoming very rare now as they have sold out of alot of things and ford will never make anymore so once its gone its gone. some things that have allready gone include - seats and interior, steering wheels, inlet manifolds and i should imagine in a year alot more things will be gone.

but apart from them main parts then the frp is the same as the standard puma and running costs should be about the same so i wouldnt worry too much, the only other thing would be tha the frp uses a bit more fuel but not too much more.

but all i can say is that how ever much i spent on my old standard puma and loved it nothing will ever compare to how much i love my frp, i cant imagine driving anothr car as i really do find other cars boring to drive now. the frp is exciting to drive and once learnt there really isnt much that will out handle it. there isnt much in it speed wise and the frp is only slightly quicker to 60 due to no torque limiter etc but it is a bit quicker, but just dont expect a mega difference as allthough it has and extra 30 bhp it is also heavier than the standard.

all i can say is do it an get one you wont regret it. woot2.gif woot2.gif

see what fun you can have woot2.gif woot2.gif

This post has been edited by Big Boy Al: 25 August 2007 - 09:43 AM

Posted Image
FRP 241 RINGMEISTER -23 LAPS = 296.7 MILES COMPLETED, MORE TO COME NEXT YEAR

#3 User is offline   maineman1963 

Posted 25 August 2007 - 11:01 AM

Nothing much I ( or anyone !) can add to Al's essay on the FRP rolleyes.gif but all very true and the FRP is a car you fall in love with... driving it is adictive and makes you smile, and the looks are to die for ( makes up i guess for my own deficiencies in that direction ).

PLenty for sale now... it's a buyers market but buy with your head ( and eyes open !) and put the heart away a little ! As Al said parts are dear and getting scarcer...and sone owners do hoard them as they do become available.

Buy one you will not regret it ! Just been out in mine for about 50 mile round trip all on A and B roads.... brill and not much can keep up if you so choose !

David
ex-owner of FRP 347 believe it is now R.I.P ! ...... now driving ....................... yes.... a Mondeo diesel. so per my daughter I am now Mondeo man, after Scoobies, BMW M5 etc etc .... ex-wife probably thinks how the not so mighty have fallen !!!

#4 Guest_jacko_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 25 August 2007 - 04:19 PM

i always say this....

be prepared to to put some money into your frp relationship; it is not a car to own for 3 years and them move on; you will make a huge financial loss in my opinion and i feel this is why they are sold on so frequently. get the impression that most people sell them straight after theyv had a quote to sort the brakes...... (just the same as a £1000 cambelt change on a clio v6 - most going for sale havent had it done but have had the quote!)

i know the purests love the oem parts but they are silly money..... so if you can get one with the following or look into getting the following;

stainless exhaust - costs less than the ford one, will last forever (get a good cat) & also saves weight

hispec brake discs cost about the same as alcon first time round however their 2 piece so only the outers need replacing next time & their £80 grooved & dont squeel as bad as the alcon & red dot disks & again a lot lighter

hispec again for the pads at £60 odd their nearly half price of oem ford & still come in an 'alcon' box

calipers - learn to clean them yourself & your laughing & the 'brake daddy' on here does very thorough & very cheap services

put a cover on the seat for day to day driving & budget for a retrim of the steering wheel every so often.....

i do recomment frp owners or potential owners are or become 'mechanically aware'. this is not the kind of car you can take to the local garage or even ford dealership to get work done....

if your realistic of the above you will love the frp, if not your wallet will cry everytime it needs work! thoroughly check the frp you want to buy has been looked after, if not walk away or haggle to a very good price as youl be lumbered with all the expensive work they couldnt afford...

#5 User is offline   smila14 

• View gallery

Posted 26 August 2007 - 09:52 AM

Let the saving commence and after ive got a nice sum of money maybe a little loan then im going to get one. Reading the comments about the drive and looks about the puma i get all this already, I absoloutley love my car, the feel and drive is so good but rather than do mods to my standard puma the FRP is going to be my way forward, people always ask what is it and my exust is a tad louder than the norm, but the drive and the look of these sexy cars is just wicked, the best looking cars on the road.

O YEAH BIG AL I LOVE THE VIDEO FOOTAGE!

This post has been edited by Sex Kitten: 28 August 2007 - 10:04 AM
Reason for edit: No need to quote post above

W116 PBN - PUMA BOY SMILA
IPB Image

#6 User is offline   eldoodarino 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 26 August 2007 - 10:31 AM

hav you been in one yet...?... i presume not.....

where are you?.. maybe somone on here could show you around and take you for a little spin... iv done it a couple of times..

smile.gif
Wizards Of Nos 60hp progressive delivery.... yeah baby yeah :-o
Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

#7 Guest_jacko_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 26 August 2007 - 03:46 PM

and you didnt put them off......! wink.gif

all i can say is - brace yourself & take a sick bag!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! biggrin.gif

#8 User is offline   shinigami 

Posted 27 August 2007 - 08:54 PM

especially if them brakes are in good order biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by shinigami: 27 August 2007 - 08:54 PM

FRP = Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!

Owner of FRP #444

#9 User is offline   Dogsbody 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 28 August 2007 - 09:36 AM

QUOTE (smila14 @ Aug 25 2007, 10:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Right i must admit im in love with the Ford Racing Puma but what are they like to drive ? Do they cost a bomb to run and whats the insurance like.
Ive currently got a standardard (but overfueling and quick) puma, and i liove everything about it. But looking at FRP's makes me want one.

The insurance will jump 3 groups.
My original company declined "We don't insure those sort of cars" wacko.gif

Now group 15 which is the same as my Mk3 1985 XR3i was.

£340 for me protected comp, but I'm old crazy.gif
MK4 XR3i
Mk3 XR3i
R Reg 1.7 Puma
T Reg 1.7 Lux Puma
Now its Racing Puma 072

Graham

Posted Image

#10 User is offline   Mr Girlracer 

Posted 28 August 2007 - 12:57 PM

There are some FRPs for sale on here (including mine - see link in my signature below) in the FRP for sale section, which must be worth a look, as the history of the ones on here could easily be better known than the history of ones you come across at a 2nd hand car dealer's yard.

Obviously, if you do find one local to you that doesn't belong to a member, still give as much info as you can on the car's identity (FRP number or Reg number) and you may some useful history is known about it by one or more members, including the man with the FRP number bible! (Ed - pumarv6) wink.gif

This post has been edited by Mr Girlracer: 28 August 2007 - 12:58 PM

Former owner of FRP 190
Work: TheScannerShop.com

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic