• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New Puma - A Few Qs Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   spangelsaregreat 

• Group: Members

Posted 02 September 2009 - 12:05 AM

Hi,

I have just got a 51 plate silver Puma (pick it up on Thursday/Friday) and have a few questions for the PP massive.

Seats - Although the driving position is okay I feel I am sitting a couple of inches too high (the steering wheel slightly obscures the top of the rev counter). Has anyone changed the seats to get a lower position?

CD player - My car comes with an aftermarket Kenwood stereo. I may keep it (though the facia gaps have not been filled in the most professional of manners). I might buy an original one off eBay. Most of the ones I have seen are 6000 model. Is that the 6 CD changer one? If not what one is.

Steering wheel - as with most Puma's the wheel is a wee bit tatty on the faux leather bit. Is there any better looking replacements anyone can suggest?

FRP remap - Is it worth the money? Does it add a lot to an insurance premium? Does it improve the fuel consumption when driving normally?

Wiper blades - has anyone replaced the stock blades with the new flat blade style?

K & N filter/Induction kit - worth the money? Any comments?

Parking sensors - any suggestions on good kits (is there a Ford one)?

Regards

This post has been edited by spangelsaregreat: 02 September 2009 - 12:12 AM

Ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?

Ford Puma 1.7i

#2 User is offline   yippeekiay 

Posted 02 September 2009 - 01:28 AM

Hi & Congrats on your new Pu'

Seats can be manually adjusted for height in your model - or mine can....lol.

Think the CD 6 Player is the 6006.

Steering wheel...no idea

FRP Map...will let others comment

Flat wiper blades are fitted to mine and there is no discernable difference, they just look better.

K&N Filter is a personal choice and not worth the money in my opinion.

Parking sensors have been fitted by a few people, take a look in the wiki as I'm pretty sure there is a guide or at least a few threads about fitted kits.

Hope I've answered some questions in a helpfull way wink.gif

This post has been edited by yippeekiay: 02 September 2009 - 01:29 AM

#3 User is offline   Midnight Blue 

• View gallery

Posted 02 September 2009 - 06:59 AM

Hi and welcome.

The seat 'pumps' up and down manually - lever at r/h side of seat. The seats in earlier kats adjusted electrically but were replaced by manual to enable the seat to go lower.

The 6000 is single cd. You can get a surround from Halfords to fill the space left when fitting an aftermarket unit. Some don't like them but I have had no problems with them and have just refitted mine into my new kat. It might be a slightly different shade of silver but I can live with that - main thing is it looks tidy...... no gaps etc.

You could try cleaning the steering wheel with soapy water, rinsing and using a leather conditioner when dry. It worked for me over 4 years and 50k miles ago and was still ok when I sold it a couple of days ago.

I get up to 45mpg driving harder than 'normal' although I don't have to drive through towns at rush hour. Don't know if what you suggest could improve that.

This post has been edited by Midnight Blue: 02 September 2009 - 07:08 AM

Posted Image

I stole BenF's Thunder ...

Pat

#4 User is offline   Sex Kitten 

• View gallery
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 02 September 2009 - 07:00 AM

welcome along

i must try the steering wheel trick as mine looks a bit lumpy too
sex kitten
come up and see me...make me smile :wink:

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO -What a Ride!:D

1.7 Moondust Silver Sep 2002 - Aug 2009, 1.7 Silver Thunder Aug 2009 -

#5 User is offline   Midnight Blue 

• View gallery

Posted 02 September 2009 - 07:04 AM

Don't know if it works for lumps, Rach .... mine was sticky

This post has been edited by Midnight Blue: 02 September 2009 - 07:06 AM

Posted Image

Pat

#6 User is offline   Spike 

Posted 02 September 2009 - 07:28 AM

the FRP map will burn more fuel.

K&N flat filter, i beleive needs changing less frequency than standard one.

be aware the the 6 disc cd changer 6006 is notorisly unrelibable, and often goes wrong!

#7 User is offline   angelbabes34 

Posted 02 September 2009 - 07:47 AM

QUOTE (Midnight Blue @ Sep 2 2009, 08:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't know if it works for lumps, Rach .... mine was sticky

Mine was sticky lumps,I 've used wet wipes on the steering wheel over a period of time

and the sticky lumps are flatter and not sticky anymore.
Attended so far...5th August ford fair 2007...12th August 4 counties meet
8th September Vickydinks birthday meet...29th September Dambusters meet,Sheffield...Puma and Tigra
meet at Gaydon...January 2008....NE meet...23rd February..The dales are alive with the sound of pumas,Dales meet....15th March.....this is the story so far............!!!more to come,woooo hoooo! :-)

Life can only be understood
backwards,but it
has to be lived,forwards!!!

#8 User is offline   Midnight Blue 

• View gallery

Posted 02 September 2009 - 07:56 AM

Wet wipes are brilliant for cleaning the engine bay too smile.gif
Posted Image

Pat

#9 User is offline   spangelsaregreat 

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:01 AM

Morning folks,

Thanks for the quick replies.

I should perhaps clarify the I did find the seat adjuster but I am 6'00" and just find it a bit high.

Re the stereo I have now read a few threads on the problems with the original radio. Will give the Kenwood a try and look at fitting a better facia. If anyone has photos of their aftermarket fitting that would be great to give me an idea of what works best.

Regards

Ford Puma 1.7i

#10 User is offline   shyann 

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:31 AM

Hi & welcome cool.gif

Congrats on getting your silver Kat biggrin.gif

Ann

#11 User is offline   yippeekiay 

Posted 02 September 2009 - 02:20 PM

QUOTE (spangelsaregreat @ Sep 2 2009, 10:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Morning folks,

I should perhaps clarify the I did find the seat adjuster but I am 6'00" and just find it a bit high.

Re the stereo I have now read a few threads on the problems with the original radio. Will give the Kenwood a try and look at fitting a better facia. If anyone has photos of their aftermarket fitting that would be great to give me an idea of what works best.

Regards

I'm 6 foot aswell and have no problems although I do sit with it leaned so far back I'm nearly laying down...lol
Jamie is about 6ft 3 and I don't think he has problems either...I'm sure his brother is about 6ft 400....lol and he's just bought one.

#12 User is offline   Miffi 

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:36 PM

[quote name='spangelsaregreat' date='Sep 2 2009, 10:01 AM' post='858491']
Morning folks,

I'm 6' too and have never found the seat height to be a problem - maybe you haven't lowered it to it's maximum? biggrin.gif

#13 User is offline   Midnight Blue 

• View gallery

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:49 PM

You can see it on this photo if you enlarge it (one I posted when I was selling the kat)

Posted Image

Pat

#14 User is offline   djs 69 

Posted 02 September 2009 - 10:26 PM

Hi and welcome, hope you enjoy the site. I got my first Puma in July, really pleased.

You asked about parking sensors, I picked up a set on e-Bay brand new £20 + £3 p&p, very happy with it and full instructions quite straightforward to fit. I got a half-moon shaped display which neatly fits into the blank area below the stereo which I spent an hour cutting to shape (to get it just right). It plugged into fag lighter, though I wired it in with an inline fuse direct, making sure I removed the 15A fuse on the fuseboard (#1) before work started. Four sensors at back plugged into the revering lamp and all done. Was done in several hours, but I am a stickler for not rushing the job. Since then I have done another 2 sensors for a mate who liked the result and Mum as well.

I'd put some pics up but still trying to work it out, PM me if want anymore details and maybe pics. Dave (Somerset)

#15 User is offline   Dom36 

Posted 02 September 2009 - 10:35 PM

FRP re-map definitely not worth the money IMO... I'd suggest a more "custom" re-map ie, bluefin or I highly recommend Dreamscience...its transformed my Puma smile.gif

Re Filter; Cone for noise, panel for performance...
Also re filter, do some searches on here for the FRP Airbox modifications smile.gif
PSN Gamertag ... 75 pixels too high to be posted :(

GtAce36 Gamertag

#16 User is offline   FlashBastd 

• Group: Validating

Posted 03 September 2009 - 07:12 AM

Here is my fascia, it is an Autoleads one, but resprayed in Halfords platinum silver.

RE: the FRP map, probably not worth it on a standard car. I got it to compliment my manifold, and in view of my future plans to fit FRP cams. If I was doing it over again, I would probably go for Dreasmscience instead. Also, as yours is a later car (as is mine), you will have a DIVE ECU, which won't take the FRP map, so you would need to fit an earlier ECU also.

RE: fuel economy, with my various modifications, I usually get around 40mpg, driving briskly, though I generally take it steady on the motorway, the short gearing means that the economy suffers quite a lot the faster you go on the motorway, 80mph is approx 3800rpm. My average economy since I got the car is shown in my footer, I think if you click on it, you can see how it has altered with the various modifications.
2005 Vauxhall VX220 Turbo
2000 Ford Focus 1.6i Ghia
2006 Renault Clio 2.0i RenaultSport 197 - SOLD
2005 Honda CR-V 2.0i Executive auto
2001 Ford Puma 1.7i Black

#17 User is offline   Sex Kitten 

• View gallery
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 03 September 2009 - 07:21 AM

QUOTE (angelbabes34 @ Sep 2 2009, 08:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mine was sticky lumps,I 've used wet wipes on the steering wheel over a period of time

and the sticky lumps are flatter and not sticky anymore.

kewl ill give that a whirl - its a bit sticky as well as lumpy- nice! wink.gif
sex kitten
come up and see me...make me smile :wink:

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO -What a Ride!:D

1.7 Moondust Silver Sep 2002 - Aug 2009, 1.7 Silver Thunder Aug 2009 -

#18 User is offline   spangelsaregreat 

Posted 03 September 2009 - 01:50 PM

QUOTE (FlashBastd @ Sep 3 2009, 08:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here is my fascia, it is an Autoleads one, but resprayed in Halfords platinum silver.

RE: the FRP map, probably not worth it on a standard car. I got it to compliment my manifold, and in view of my future plans to fit FRP cams. If I was doing it over again, I would probably go for Dreasmscience instead. Also, as yours is a later car (as is mine), you will have a DIVE ECU, which won't take the FRP map, so you would need to fit an earlier ECU also.

RE: fuel economy, with my various modifications, I usually get around 40mpg, driving briskly, though I generally take it steady on the motorway, the short gearing means that the economy suffers quite a lot the faster you go on the motorway, 80mph is approx 3800rpm. My average economy since I got the car is shown in my footer, I think if you click on it, you can see how it has altered with the various modifications.

Thanks for that FlashBastd. Bought one of eBay so will give it a try next week sometime. How do you put the fuel thing in your post?

Getting the car tomorrow morning. Checking out anklebiter seats at mothercare today also.

Trying not to look at eBay for stuff I probably don't need for the Puma yet!!

Regards

Ford Puma 1.7i

#19 User is offline   yippeekiay 

Posted 03 September 2009 - 05:40 PM

Loving that fuel thingy Flash'. I put mine on a spreadsheet but gonna have a go at that site.

#20 User is offline   Guy Incognito 

Posted 06 September 2009 - 05:45 PM

looks like all your questions have been answered, albeit with the ladies comparing their sticky lumps??? unsure.gif

Welcome to the site and enjoy your car. biggrin.gif

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic