• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1.7 Project, Slow But Steady Rate Topic: -----

#121 User is offline   Turby 

• View gallery
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:18 PM

Those bars might be to triangulate the front strut to the cage. You will need to cut holes in the bulkhead and you will probably have to re-locate the header tank / fuse box as well. Have you asked custom cages for a fitting guide ?
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope - 1709)
Stop being spoon fed and GOOGLE it!

#122 User is offline   Kizza 

• Group: Members

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:03 PM

yeah i was thinking that but they look a little bit 2 long, one or 2 of the pipes need a little bit of modifying to fit. i mite have to fit the rest of the cage then have a look at fitting the front bars later. ive emailed them but as of yet ive had no reply. im goin to be tacking the cage in friday and adapting any of the pipes to fit that dont. as always will upload many pics of the progress i make :lol:

#123 User is offline   Kizza 

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:30 PM

small update, the lower half of the steering rack arrived today so when i got home i fitted it an turned the car around. here are some pics that i took of the hole thing.

picsss

the lower steering colum in place

Posted Image

the car as i dragged it out on the jack and turned it around

Posted Image

Posted Image

after i got the puma far enough out of the bush i reversed it onto the road and turned it around.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

it was very dirty after being in the bush for a couple of months and it had some unwanted friends all over it hahahahah

Posted Image

Posted Image

so i decided to give her a little wash just to get the most of the dirt off her and all the snails lol

after i brush down

Posted Image

Posted Image

and after a bucket of water and a big sponge. not the best job in the world but it started to rain so i wanted to get it done quick.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

and now i can start rebuilding the rear end and getting the roll cage in :D

Posted Image

Posted Image

well it hasnt got an mot, tax or insurance. its not all the same colour and she needs a full set of tyres and the back end rebuilding but im very happy with my progress and that ive done it all myself. i may not have lots of money to spend on the car and many people think i should of scapped it along time ago but here is my pride and joy and i couldnt be happer with what ive done with the little money i have actualy spent on her to date and with a little soap she still shines up nicely :wub:

what do you lot of puma owners think then? haha

#124 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:26 PM

You will also have learned alot and that can be priceless :)
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#125 User is offline   Kizza 

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:56 PM

thats the best way happy-kat so if something goes wrong i can find the problem and fix it easly ;)

Small update of what ivedone today, i started with some more weight removal.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

i then removed the centre roof suport to make room for the roll cage and also take out a little bit more weight out of the car ;)

Posted Image

Posted Image

i then removed the rear bumper and removed all the remains of central locking and alarm parts for the boot.

Posted Image

Posted Image

the only things that was holding the bumper on.

Posted Image

more weight loss :guns:

Posted Image

empty spaces

Posted Image

while i had the bumper off i decided to give it a good rub down and a coat of primer.

Posted Image

Posted Image

back on the car again

Posted Image

Posted Image

i need to get a blank for the hole left behind from the lock for the boot

Posted Image

i then started work on fitting the roll cage

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

sadly i had to stop there, i ran out of welding wire :rant: so will have to pickup some more tomorow when i pick up my mate

Posted Image

i will be getting all the roll cage tacked in tomorow and hopefully i will have the rear end in bits on sunday so i can clean, replace and rebuild it.

#126 User is offline   Kizza 

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:38 PM

got alot work done cage wise with weekend, got the rear mounts welded and the loop mounts too. all the bars from the loop back to the rear mounts are in and mostly welded up. i dont want to upload any pics of it until the backs all welded up.goin to be welding it in two halfs, back and then front. im also goin to be dismantleing the rear of the car tomorow to get all that sorted.

on another note ive give the car a quick drive around the block and bloody hell it doesnt half fly after about 3,500k, when im in second it feels like im in first. on a funny note when i went up the curb outside my house the suspension was so stiff the rear wheel come off the ground 3 inch hahahahahah.

il be uploading some pics of the car shortly.

much love people

#127 User is offline   ScubaSteve 

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:48 AM

You will need to cut holes In the car floor to fit cage properly. You won't be able to weld the front pieces properly with the rear parts all fixed in place as you won't be able to get to the tops and sides of the joins.

Way to do it is place rear parts in and tack together but not to the car. Cut holes in floor under main hoop legs, lower rear section through holes, weld forward bars in place, raise whole lot up and tack to car, then weld up the holes in the floor. If youve already welded the rear parts to the car you may be a bit naughty word. This is why I used lap joints on my forward bars because a. It avoided cutting holes in the floor and b. So it could be removable

This post has been edited by ScubaSteve: 09 July 2012 - 06:49 AM

#128 User is offline   Kizza 

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:40 AM

i can see what your saying about access to the areas that need welding and the possibility of cutting the floor to drop the cage but ive done it a little differently to get the room i needed. i placed all the front and back parts of the cage into the car so upon tacking the back ive removed the front for extra room to do the back and also ive removed the centre roof suport that was touching the centre loop. ive seen it done on a few pumas and with a complete cage in and it wouldnt effect the structuture. with the centre roof suport removed although it is tight i can get to all the cage to weld it ive made sure of this. thanks for the advice though scubasteve, your the only person to have said something that could of helped me fitting it into the car and for that thankyou. i didnt even get a worth while responce out of custom cages when i asked about fitting instructions.

cheers kieran

#129 User is offline   ScubaSteve 

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:09 PM

Haha no probs

#130 User is offline   Turby 

• View gallery
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:08 PM

Have you seen this picture ?

Posted Image
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope - 1709)
Stop being spoon fed and GOOGLE it!

#131 User is offline   Kizza 

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:15 PM

yeah thats what i worked everthing off. off the diagram theonly thing im missing is the two small cross bars from the rear. you will beable to see which ones im talking about when i upload some pics.

#132 User is offline   Kizza 

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:03 PM

in between welding the cage into the car and loosing another job :rant: ive dismantled the rear end ready for a clean up and rebuild. ive got everything except one rear shock and the hand brake cable.

here are the pics

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

ive been grinding all the rust off the beam and it is covered in it. in some places its a couple of mm's think, is this normal??? it has done nearly 100k and its 13 year old. it seems to be surface rust, just alot of it hahahahahha

#133 User is offline   Kizza 

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:22 AM

the rear beams been competly ground back to bear metal ive given it a coat of rust treatment, primer and then about 4-5 coats of red paint so it looking nice and shinny now :woot2: goin to be sorting out all the patches of rust under the rear of the car this afternoon so will upload some pics of it all later on tonight.

much love people kieran

#134 User is offline   salford doorman 

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:45 PM

looking good pal :woot2:

#135 User is offline   Kizza 

Posted 15 July 2012 - 10:48 PM

well over the weekend ive been derusting the rear of the puma, painting, welding, undersealing and rebuilding, not got alot to say as always so il just let you see the pics of what ive done.

picssss!!!

the rear beam after a derust then alot of hard work and 2 tins of primer 2 tins of radient red and 2 tins of laquer.

ive only got one side of the rear brakes done so far, there are new drums with 25mm longer wheel studs, wheel cylinders and shoes.
ive got a new compete handbrake on the way.

Posted Image

35mm rear axle spacers

Posted Image

Posted Image

and the new rear bushes fitted.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

here are some welding patches and alot of inderseal, best part of 3 X 500mm cans.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

a bit more weight removed hahaha

Posted Image

now the rear beam is back on

Posted Image

Posted Image

and now the exhaust is fitted properly and is sounding fantastic :lol:

Posted Image

havent done much more on the cage yet as you can see ive been busy elsewere hahahaha

it should be back on the floor again as soon as the other shock and the handbrake cables arrive.

i wont be goin to trax now because ive lost my job and cant afford to spend anything on the car for a while now so the progress will be slowing down now :head:

im goin to be trying to set up a small buisness myself so all my left over money will be goin into that for now so no money on the puma for a while but at least ive got most of it done up to now and i can still be doin small things to the car that are free and posting up little updates.

much love people kieran

#136 User is offline   CeReD 

Posted 15 July 2012 - 11:55 PM

awesome work, starting to look the part :D
Mazda Mx-5 1.8i UK & Ford Puma 1.7VCT
whycantiholdalltheseamazingcars

#137 User is offline   Kizza 

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:00 AM

Cheers pal ive realy put alot of effort into it so far. ive seen your thread, are you doin a low budget build?

#138 User is offline   Kizza 

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:26 AM

My handbrake cable has arrived so il be fitting that once i get home from the dentists hahaha then the car should be back on its wheels all being with one standard shock and one uprated one for now hhahahahaha

#139 User is offline   Kizza 

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:09 AM

after i wasted trip to the dentists and the fact that it was pissing it down all day as it does most days in manchester i got nothing done to the car. but as soon as it stops raining il be fitting everything to get it onto the floor. il have to use one standard shock for a week or two but as im not goin to be driving it this wont make a slight bit of difference to anything lol. then i will beable to get the cage fully welded into the car and finish off all those little crappy jobs that ive been putting off for so long.

cheers kieran

#140 User is offline   Kizza 

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:27 AM

update!!! the car is back on the floor but it isnt low enough Posted Image think il have to have another look into the springs soon.

PICSSSS!!

the new hand brake

Posted Image

i had a day with no rain so i cracked on, new cable

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

all the brakes hooked up now

Posted Image

otherside now cleaned, painted and rebuilt

Posted Image

shockes and springs fitted :D even though the otherside has a standard shock atm

Posted Image

how the car is sat atm

Posted Image

the back is now 110mm wider than standard

Posted Image

about standard height :head: i want it at least another 20mm lower

Posted Image

about 10mm lower than standard height. i want it at least another 10-15mm lower

Posted Image

Posted Image

i need it lower!!!!! must be so high because ive took so much weight out of it

what do you think puma people folk?