Pumapeople: Dive - Tape Ecu Swap - Pumapeople

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dive - Tape Ecu Swap

#1 User is offline   davjon747 

• Group: Members

Posted 15 August 2008 - 07:39 PM

If i was to put a 1.7 tape ecu on my 2002 1,7 puma would i get any extra performance from doing this also i guess there is only 1 key chip so would it be hard to get another key programmed?
And if i had it re-flashed with the frp program like wise would there be any extra performance from this?
last but not least are there any draw backs on installing tape ecu over keeping my Dive ecu?

Dave
NEW SCT Flash Tuner (Pumabuild Stratagem) Ford Puma 1.7 VCT if i installed this would i gain much extra and where ?

This post has been edited by davjon747: 15 August 2008 - 08:21 PM

#2 User is offline   Dan 

• View gallery

Posted 15 August 2008 - 07:55 PM

TAPE ECU over DIVE ECU gives no performance increase... it's just subtly different.

There's no performance benefit to speak of for the FRP map on a std puma. The FRP map gives a higher rev limiter and removes the torque limiter, but it's set up for different cams.

The drawbacks are that you have to pay for it (and key reprogramming etc.) and that you may put additional wear on components such as gearbox, driveshafts and the engine in general.

#3 User is offline   davjon747 

Posted 15 August 2008 - 08:09 PM

i thought thats why the older (98-99) puma 1.7 was faster because of the diff ecu if it is not this what is it that does make ik quicker

This post has been edited by davjon747: 15 August 2008 - 08:24 PM

#4 User is offline   Dom36 

Posted 15 August 2008 - 08:19 PM

Davjon, thats exaclty the same as me, I would advise against the FRP map and go for a dreamscience map.
The FRP map is designed to be used on an FRP and I have learned the long way around by doing it myself.

If you want you can just load the FRP map onto that, but the dreamscience can be personalised to your car...and for only a bit more. Also dreamscience is going to keep its value; unlike an FRP map that would be stuck to your car.
PSN Gamertag ... 75 pixels too high to be posted :(

GtAce36 Gamertag

#5 User is offline   davjon747 

Posted 15 August 2008 - 08:27 PM

Hi Dom do you have this map on your car then dreamscience map

Dave

#6 User is offline   Dom36 

Posted 15 August 2008 - 08:44 PM

At the min I have milltek 4-2-1 decat back, and the FRP map...
All runs fine no problems really...however it is running lean which I am keen to sort asap!
I can either make my engine FRP spec (cost a fortune!) or get it mapped to suit the car as it is.

I am going to be using dreamscience to get a map specific to my car, but this also allows me to "save" my existing map (FRP) so I can always revert back to that smile.gif

GtAce36 Gamertag

#7 User is offline   davjon747 

Posted 15 August 2008 - 08:48 PM

Dom has the fitting of the Miltek system gave you any extra performance

#8 User is offline   Dom36 

Posted 15 August 2008 - 08:55 PM

According to the rollers, no. lol
But I think its more down to the map, not the system

GtAce36 Gamertag

#9 User is offline   spyronx 

Posted 18 August 2008 - 09:33 PM

hello i have changed my dive to a tape and had the FRP map programed on.
i had it dun in southamton and i was very pleased with the results!!

you WILL get a small performance gain just from the change to tape! if ur on the dive ECU i bet u don't get the poppin sound from the milltek.but the tape ECU will fuel the car more so u will gain HP and that cool poppin sound! hhmmmmm popage happy.gif

the matey at southampton will do the FRP map for £50, bargain.

the good things about the FRP map,
around 8BHP on standard puma,
can run on performance or standard petrol (you can realy notice the diff on the high octain laugh.gif )
the ECU will be ready for any other FRP type mod u want to make at a later date (milltek, cams, etc..)
rev limit up, 1st gear limiter gone,

i have no problems with the car and it seems to be smoother too. i haven't noticed a big change in fuel consumption! (if any)
i would recommend this!

the garage at southampton is called Tremona they do really know there stuff. www.tremonagarage.com
i think it was richard that fixed my puma, he even came on a little test drive with me to make sure i was happy and that the car was workin properly.

#10 User is offline   Dom36 

Posted 18 August 2008 - 09:41 PM

I've going to be using dreamscience within the week, and will be on the rollers before the end of next month.
This will show the difference between an FRP map and a custom tuned map.
The FRP map does not get rid of the torque limiter if I remember correctly, and its definately not got any preference towards higher octane fuels...unless Tremona has adapted the map (which i didn't know was possible?)

As far as 8hp on standard...hmm...I got 0

GtAce36 Gamertag

#11 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 18 August 2008 - 09:53 PM

I doubt personnaly you would get 8Bhp over standard with just changing for the FRP map ja_stupid.gif would ideally have to see a before and after RR smile.gif

given the price of petrol, that popping is costing wink.gif

searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#12 User is offline   Dom36 

Posted 18 August 2008 - 09:56 PM

The 8hp was found on the rollers with a 1.7 Ford Ka, can't see the difference all been down to the map though.
Conditions and tyre pressue could have been purposly altered to "beef up" the gains.

I keep fuel records for my car and noticed no fuel differences between the two smile.gif

This post has been edited by Dom36: 18 August 2008 - 09:56 PM

GtAce36 Gamertag

#13 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 18 August 2008 - 09:59 PM

popping is unburnt fuel

that Ka, I wonder if that was 8BHP over standard or 8BHP on same rollers on same day before and after the mod wink.gif
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#14 User is offline   Dom36 

Posted 18 August 2008 - 10:02 PM

Yea but its negligable (to me anyway), not altered my fuel consumption.

From the Pumaspeed website:

I had a rolling road test last saturday and i got 121 bhp from my 1700cc puma engined Ka.
Pumaspeed ave me this FRP remap and went back to test it again on the same rollers this saturday, as tony said 8bhp.

i have no other mods on the car

I guess conditions won't have altered that much?

This post has been edited by Dom36: 18 August 2008 - 10:03 PM

GtAce36 Gamertag

#15 User is offline   spyronx 

Posted 18 August 2008 - 10:06 PM

"I've going to be using dreamscience within the week, and will be on the rollers before the end of next month.
This will show the difference between an FRP map and a custom tuned map.
The FRP map does not get rid of the torque limiter if I remember correctly, and its definately not got any preference towards higher octane fuels...unless Tremona has adapted the map (which i didn't know was possible?)

As far as 8hp on standard...hmm...I got 0
"

dude wot are u talking about???
i have had this done on my puma!
the FRP has NO torque limiter due to its mappin, the FRP map on my puma has NO torque limiter. (it will rev all the way past 7 rpm, with no 1st gear limiter too)

the 8bhp is understandable due to the higher fuel rate (12% higher, i think not too sure) that is y u get the poppin sound from the miltek, it is the unburnt fuel!!

yes the dreamscience will probberly give a higher BHP rating (not much), but only for the current mods u have now!

the FRP map will be ready for any other mod u make later on. (no need for ECU reprogramin if u want to add some other mods later)
how much is the dreamscience anyway??? i bet it's loads more than £50!

if u ask any FRP owner they will know the difference higher octane makes! wether it was standard on a FRP map i don't know, but Tremona told me it is set up for the high octane fuel. havin tested this i belive him.

This post has been edited by spyronx: 18 August 2008 - 10:09 PM

#16 User is offline   Dom36 

Posted 18 August 2008 - 10:15 PM

Yea mine revs beyond 7 too, but I noticed little difference in 1st gear pulling power.
If fuel is 12% higher (which I also believe to be more like 17%), why hasn't my fuel economy got 17% "worse"? Or atleast 10% as I don't use the whole rev range all the time.
So if I had 4-2-1 with no FRP map, it wouldn't pop as much as it does now? Check out youtube for popping noises on FRP and then on 1.7 conversions, they're very similar.

The reason I'm going away from the FRP map is that my ECU thinks my engine is an FRP engine with cams, inlet etc...and because its not its causing problems in other areas...ie/ running lean...

If the map was so good at giving me alot more fuel why would it be running lean?

GtAce36 Gamertag

#17 User is offline   spyronx 

Posted 18 August 2008 - 10:18 PM

do u recon the 1.7 KA was on a dive ECU?? it is the most eco friendly ECU for the pumawiki

that would be the 2000+ reg

changing that could bump up the BHP ???

This post has been edited by spyronx: 18 August 2008 - 10:20 PM

#18 User is offline   Dom36 

Posted 18 August 2008 - 10:20 PM

THe FRP map will only transfer onto the TAPE map

GtAce36 Gamertag

#19 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 18 August 2008 - 10:25 PM

FRP has a rev limiter it is 7250
the FRP has no torque limiter
the Puma 1.7 does also make small pop noises in the manifold, this was played with on the FRP to make it a feature during development
the FRP map is set to 95 RON as standard, however it can be changed whether the rest of the program can make use of this is probably placebo
smile.gif

#20 User is offline   spyronx 

Posted 18 August 2008 - 10:36 PM

QUOTE (Dom36 @ Aug 18 2008, 11:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yea mine revs beyond 7 too, but I noticed little difference in 1st gear pulling power.
If fuel is 12% higher (which I also believe to be more like 17%), why hasn't my fuel economy got 17% "worse"? Or atleast 10% as I don't use the whole rev range all the time.
So if I had 4-2-1 with no FRP map, it wouldn't pop as much as it does now? Check out youtube for popping noises on FRP and then on 1.7 conversions, they're very similar.

The reason I'm going away from the FRP map is that my ECU thinks my engine is an FRP engine with cams, inlet etc...and because its not its causing problems in other areas...ie/ running lean...

If the map was so good at giving me alot more fuel why would it be running lean?

the only thing i can tell you is that u must have had a dodgey map! or ECU, somthing is wrong with ur car. thats probberly why ur running lean! mine is fine! like i sed before there is no TL on my 1st gear.
and..
as i sed before the dive ECU under fuels the car, so no poppin from the miltek on a dive ECU!!

im not goin to judge crappy audio on youtube!

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic