Pumapeople: My Turn To Attempt The Challenging - Pumapeople

• 14 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

My Turn To Attempt The Challenging beating the rust, my progress thread Rate Topic: -----

#61 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 08 May 2009 - 08:16 AM

I thought about if, may do another year the beam
was tempted to buy that rear beam, still am.... jobs where do you stop!!
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#62 User is offline   warrenpenalver 

• Group: Members

Posted 08 May 2009 - 02:22 PM

Its just gradual progress!!

If you can get spare beam and subframes etc and get them powdercoated soonish then do it this season maybe. Otherwise wait till next year as they are merely bolt on bolt off bits.

Think of it this way, once the underside is done, then its good for another 10 years (with annual inspection!) and things like a properly blasted and coated rear beam/subframes etc will last a long time too.
Posted Image

#63 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 08 May 2009 - 03:53 PM

James has sold that rear beam.. they are 444.19 new inc vat I rang today, so I should have been faster in my thoughts, doh!

Olly is making progress, though not rushing it which is best
I have a nastey rust bobble that has crept in from nowhere as well to deal with, blown through under a bit of mastic.
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#64 User is offline   warrenpenalver 

Posted 08 May 2009 - 04:02 PM

I wouldnt buy a new one unless your really flush!! a reasonable nick old one blasted and repainted properly (fords coatings arent the best), would be just as good to go back on the car and probably stay rust free for longer.
Posted Image

#65 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 08 May 2009 - 04:08 PM

I agree I was not going to buy new but always useful to know the new part cost though when justifying buying something smile.gif
if it comes to it I will get mine off and do it

#66 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 18 May 2009 - 05:58 PM

progress is slow... but should have some progress to update with soon

#67 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 03 June 2009 - 02:24 PM

Some progress to report biggrin.gif

Rear callipers, they were cleaned, degreased, wire rubbed down and then painted, one done one not painted

Front calliper ready to go off for work

The underside has been scrubbed and I am so chuffed with how clean and new it looks biggrin.gif
Hydrate 80 has been used and will be applied again where needed.

The exhaust goes on next week.

Rob you should go have a look, Tim is doing a fabulous job on these tricky to reach bits biggrin.gif

#68 User is offline   Neil 

Posted 03 June 2009 - 02:37 PM

Looks good Kate. I don't even want to look underneath #0013 yet - it used to live by the coast so it won't be pleasant!
2006 - 2008 Ford Puma 1.7 Lux | 2008 - 2010 Ford Racing Puma #0013 | 2010 - 2012 Mini Cooper S | 2012 - ? RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup

#69 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 03 June 2009 - 02:46 PM

Thanks Neil smile.gif
I was really surprised at for a 9 year old chassis how good it looks, the vast majority of the rust in those shots has been stablised it looks fab biggrin.gif
Has been garaged since 2005 and just under 50k miles.
Next is the odd extra bit of Hydrate 80, then it is spray Dynax S-50 into all the cavity holes, and lastly Dymax UB the whole lot

#70 User is offline   downhuman 

Posted 03 June 2009 - 06:15 PM

Saw her today Kate when I drove by - and when I had mine in for the bushes and tyres I had a peek too.

Great bunch on Owens - Olly rocks.

I've got a gearbox rebuild on the cards next with LSD fitting too plus new clutch before my Bedford day on 27th July

Just waiting for a day when Olly's free for some trackday action - if you fancy it, you're welcome too - wanted to see if Olly is the demon on track that you've made out her is, lol

#71 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 03 June 2009 - 08:54 PM

lol, yes only going on stuff Olly said wink.gif I think a bit of a demon though biggrin.gif

#72 User is offline   ben toney 

Posted 03 June 2009 - 10:26 PM

that looks very good! keep it up!

#73 User is offline   cheshiresport 

Posted 04 June 2009 - 06:41 PM

Looking great Kate.

I am really getting shamed into doing something with the underside of 149. Maybe this winter i will do it in the garage.

Keep up the great work, will it be ready for Combe?

#74 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 04 June 2009 - 07:15 PM

Yes, not all but the underside will be done. The wheel arch areas and bits will be done over the summer.

#75 User is offline   warrenpenalver 

Posted 04 June 2009 - 10:33 PM

Its looking great Kate!!! Surprising how much a difference it makes once the hard stuff is done. Things should progress a bit easier now!
Posted Image

#76 User is offline   Big Boy Al 

• View gallery

Posted 13 June 2009 - 02:05 PM

kate its looking great, if you do want a spare rear beam ill have one down tremona in a couple of weeks, i have my powder coated one ready to go on so the one that comes off 241 will be ready for sale, would like to keep it but have no where to store it.

and getting it powder coated and shot blasted etc only cost around the £50 mark.
Posted Image
FRP 241 RINGMEISTER -23 LAPS = 296.7 MILES COMPLETED, MORE TO COME NEXT YEAR

#77 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 13 June 2009 - 04:57 PM

that's kind Al, though I think I will have spent rather a lot so will decline I think

#78 User is offline   Big Boy Al 

• View gallery

Posted 13 June 2009 - 05:34 PM

ok well let me know if you change your mind, i dont want much for it just want to cover the costs of the one i bought, pm me if you change your mind. smile.gif
Posted Image
FRP 241 RINGMEISTER -23 LAPS = 296.7 MILES COMPLETED, MORE TO COME NEXT YEAR

#79 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 07 July 2009 - 11:06 AM

These are my Alcons powder coated, pre removing all the items used to plug the threads/pistons etc. Many thanks To Chris for his help here, really appreaciated. The calipers now fitted with all new stainless fitments against the white wheels look fabulous.

Rear brakes were done too (though not the actual caliper as could not get a circlip remover the right size so just painted them).

Underside with it's first coat of Dymax UB.
Since then another coat at least has been applied plus every single nook/cranny/hole in the chassis has had Dymax S-50 sprayed in it.
You can really see where Ford stopped the underseal and just left the chassis with it's plating. Talk about tight!

Note the rust on the chassis and rear beam where they mount together. these areas have also been treated with Hydrate 80 and then Dymax UB before rejoining.

In the end I decided not to drop the top mounts but will spray Dymax S-50 up there, there comes a point where I had to draw the line. When looking closely up there (what is possible) did not shriek 'treat me I am a rusty mess'.

#80 User is offline   warrenpenalver 

Posted 07 July 2009 - 06:29 PM

Looking good kate!!! good job your sorting the rust by the rear beam mount now!! that was a major rust point on my mk3 fiesta!! so imagine if youd left it another 8 years!!
Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 14 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic