Improving The Headlights On The Puma

#21 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 09 June 2013 - 07:15 AM

The first 3 things to do:
Make sure the units are as clean as possible
The lights are properly aligned
Good bulbs fitted
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#22 User is offline   ewizzy 

• Group: Members

Posted 09 June 2013 - 07:33 AM

Dogsbody, on 09 June 2013 - 06:09 AM, said:

My FRP had run HID's since 2008, I was a bit concerned about a MOT change which might mean I would have to remove them for the test.

But it was never included, so like you say. Just make sure they are not "Blue" tint and away you go. :)/>

HID headlights tend to get people on here a bit hot under the collar, as they are illegal.
But as they chose not to include it in the MOT it would appear nobody in authority is interested.

Mine are 6000K colour brilliant white, I think the 4300k will look slightly yellow.

Next best is Osram night breakers or Halfords extreme bulbs ;)/>

I didn't like the 6k bulbs in mine, my eyes prefer a slightly yellower light, the 4300k are still quite white though.

I'm not sure why people get so worked up about using hids in a puma. The projecter style lights are perfect for them, the beam pattern is great, there is no glare and at 35w no danger to the standard car wiring. :)

#23 User is offline   gally 

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:06 PM

Just to add more from the previous post. I totally agree. Also 6000k imo is the perfect strength. I've ran the kid on 3 pumas now.

I haven't heard one adverse comment about them in probably 4 mots. My lights have always been beam-checked to perfection.

The ironic thing is, a well set up hid kit with projector lense is much better than billy big balls with his poorly aligned oem xenon lights, driving around blinding everything that moves!

If anything these are bloody twice as safe as the standard lights when set correctly.

#24 User is offline   ewizzy 

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:53 AM

Yup, completely agree, apart from the 6k ;)

4300k for me :)

#25 User is offline   CartMan 

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:15 AM

just orderd a set of 4300k even thoug I am against ilegal aftermarked xenon kits as a prinsipal, the headlights on the puma are so dim and useless I realy don't se any other real solution, atleast not here in norway where it is so dark half the year :/
1998 Puma 1.7 Replica FRP. innlet nr 138
Projekt tread http://www.pumapeopl...pic=104790&st=0

Time, is the fire in which we burn

#26 User is offline   ewizzy 

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:06 PM

Good choice sir!!

#27 User is offline   Perfect Dark 

Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:55 PM

Over the past day I've driven for 7 hours and covered 290 miles, and I have to say, there were parts where I had no clue where the road was going.

Is this fairly accurate?

http://www.blindinghid.com/hid-colors/
Posted Image

#28 User is offline   ewizzy 

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:01 PM

Perfect Dark, on 16 June 2013 - 02:55 PM, said:

Over the past day I've driven for 7 hours and covered 290 miles, and I have to say, there were parts where I had no clue where the road was going.

Is this fairly accurate?

http://www.blindinghid.com/hid-colors/

Fairly accurate.

I got my hid kit from eBay. 35w 4300k

I tried 6000k bulbs first.... Bloody horrible. Too blue, and my eyes just couldn't adjust to the blueness.
Tried a 5000k kit, again, too blue, but better than the 6000k kit. Latest is the 4300k bulbs. Absolutely perfect, nice light output, very white, with a yellow tinge, which in my opinion is perfect.

Unfortunately, however much light they put out, it doesn't make the design of the reflectors any better. But still better than halogen.
The whole kit including ballasts and bulbs was only £35 though, so still better than buying halogens!!

#29 User is offline   Dogsbody 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:56 AM

6000K compared to Halford Extreme bulbs.
Posted Image
MK4 XR3i
Mk3 XR3i
R Reg 1.7 Puma
T Reg 1.7 Lux Puma
Now its Racing Puma 072

Graham

Posted Image

#30 User is offline   Perfect Dark 

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:12 AM

I've seen various pictures of the two compared to each other and I have to say that I've decided that it's impossible to tell what either look like due to the camera white balance adjusting.

In that picture, the 6000k look white and the 4300k look yellow, but I've seen pictures of the 6000k looking blue while the 4300k looks perfectly white. It seems to be a personal preference thing, and being as the 4300k kick out more light, I think that's what I'll go for.

I wonder if there are any pictures out there comparing them to the standard puma lights?
Posted Image

#31 User is offline   ewizzy 

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:10 PM

The picture above is comparing halogen lights to a 6k hid kit.....

#32 User is offline   Dogsbody 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:54 PM

ewizzy, on 17 June 2013 - 07:10 PM, said:

The picture above is comparing halogen lights to a 6k hid kit.....

Yes HID 6000k compared to Halogen.
Both FRP's we were surprised how much different they were.
MK4 XR3i
Mk3 XR3i
R Reg 1.7 Puma
T Reg 1.7 Lux Puma
Now its Racing Puma 072

Graham

Posted Image

#33 User is offline   Pumpa 

Posted 03 March 2015 - 10:24 AM

Dogsbody, on 17 June 2013 - 07:54 PM, said:

Yes HID 6000k compared to Halogen.
Both FRP's we were surprised how much different they were.

Old post i know and i believe the MOT now should fail an aftermarket HID kit without Auto level and washers. What i will say is it should be illegal that FORD can allow a car to remain on the road with such appalling lights and personally my HID 55w kit is staying on the car, at worst i have to change the bulbs back for the MOT (15 Minute job).

I'd much rather have the common sense safety the HIDs provide than the risk of crashing and/or worse death due to some stupid rule, probably based on money loss from manufactures losing out!!!!!!!!!!

I obviously can not recommended such a FANTASTIC UPGRADE as its illegal but compared to the standard FORD set up they are EXCEPTIONAL and provided you set them up right they do not blind other roads users anywhere near as much as the latest modern cars with there HID lights!!!!!!!!

Rant over, safety prevails..........i hope

Pumpa

This post has been edited by Pumpa: 03 March 2015 - 10:26 AM

#34 User is offline   400AndRising 

Posted 12 December 2016 - 07:34 AM

Dogsbody, on 09 June 2013 - 06:09 AM, said:

My FRP had run HID's since 2008, I was a bit concerned about a MOT change which might mean I would have to remove them for the test.

But it was never included, so like you say. Just make sure they are not "Blue" tint and away you go. :)/>/>

HID headlights tend to get people on here a bit hot under the collar, as they are illegal.
But as they chose not to include it in the MOT it would appear nobody in authority is interested.

Mine are 6000K colour brilliant white, I think the 4300k will look slightly yellow.

Next best is Osram night breakers or Halfords extreme bulbs ;)/>/>

Thread resurrection I know but 4300k is closest you normally get to white, they're not yellow in the slightest (had 2 sets myself).
The higher up the scale you go the more blue / purple they go, with 12k being the purple rubbish you normally see fitted to chav chariots. 4300k will normally also offer the best light at night.

This post has been edited by 400AndRising: 12 December 2016 - 07:35 AM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic