Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Water Pump For Intercooler Not Working

#1 User is offline   nimajneb 

• Group: Members

Posted 19 September 2010 - 08:09 PM

Hi,

I have very little knowledge of turbo engines and have not owned the car long, this is the turbo puma that was origionally listed on here in august!(http://www.pumapeople.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=100204)
Does the pump for the intercooler have a thermostat? only when i switched the engine on from cold for a brief period the little pump that pulls water around the intercooler system appears not to be working. I understand there are a few other turbo puma owners on here and wondered if anyone could shed any light on my problem?? If not dpes anyone know where i can buy a suitable replacement pump (smallish 12v centrifugal water pump)

cheers
Ben

#2 User is offline   martinthrapston 

Posted 19 September 2010 - 08:14 PM

not to sure about this but il have a stab in the dark,i presume that the water injector will work at a certain air tempertaure and boost pressure...

#3 User is offline   nimajneb 

Posted 19 September 2010 - 08:30 PM

View Postmartinthrapston, on 19 September 2010 - 08:14 PM, said:

not to sure about this but il have a stab in the dark,i presume that the water injector will work at a certain air tempertaure and boost pressure...

Thanks for your stab in the dark. I hadn't considered that and its optimistic which is good :D I'll try going for a drive to get everything warmed up and then suss out wether its pumping water.
thanks again
Ben

#4 User is offline   d170sam 

Posted 20 September 2010 - 03:49 AM

View Postmartinthrapston, on 19 September 2010 - 08:14 PM, said:

i dont think this car has water injection, your intercooler system uses a chargecooler or air to water cooler the water pump should constantly be pumping water through this and its seperate radiator, they usual;y are not triggered by boost or temp they just run constantly whilst the engine is running, if it isnt check the pump is actually recieving power if not check the wiring if it is u prob need new pump
to the steel workers of america: keep reaching for that rainbow!

#5 User is offline   nimajneb 

Posted 20 September 2010 - 08:44 AM

View Postd170sam, on 20 September 2010 - 03:49 AM, said:

i dont think this car has water injection, your intercooler system uses a chargecooler or air to water cooler the water pump should constantly be pumping water through this and its seperate radiator, they usual;y are not triggered by boost or temp they just run constantly whilst the engine is running, if it isnt check the pump is actually recieving power if not check the wiring if it is u prob need new pump

This confirms what i thought.
Cheers,

Ben

#6 User is offline   d170sam 

Posted 21 September 2010 - 03:51 PM

no worries, if the pumps gone u could prob use one from a focuc rs as a replacement

cheers

sam
to the steel workers of america: keep reaching for that rainbow!

#7 User is offline   Dogsbody 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 21 September 2010 - 04:19 PM

You need to talk to Toby (Turby) He built the car if its the one I think it is ;)
MK4 XR3i
Mk3 XR3i
R Reg 1.7 Puma
T Reg 1.7 Lux Puma
Now its Racing Puma 072

Graham

Posted Image

#8 User is offline   nimajneb 

Posted 22 September 2010 - 09:48 PM

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Just to say managed to diagnose the problem (a short in the fuse box going to the pump). Unfortunatley i had already fitted a new pump (from demon tweeks took ages to find one) when i discovered this, so just bypassed the fuse box with the new wiring which came with its own inline fuse! :D Got it all done in time for cadwell today and had a brill time !!! will post pics up in the track day forum if anyone interested!
Thanks again

Ben

#9 User is offline   Turby 

• View gallery
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 23 September 2010 - 02:15 PM

View Postnimajneb, on 22 September 2010 - 09:48 PM, said:

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Just to say managed to diagnose the problem (a short in the fuse box going to the pump). Unfortunatley i had already fitted a new pump (from demon tweeks took ages to find one) when i discovered this, so just bypassed the fuse box with the new wiring which came with its own inline fuse! :D Got it all done in time for cadwell today and had a brill time !!! will post pics up in the track day forum if anyone interested!
Thanks again

Ben

A replacement pumps is available off the shelf from Pace :unsure:
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope - 1709)
Stop being spoon fed and GOOGLE it!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic