• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Possible Regrets Of Buying A Puma!

#1 User is offline   actionman 

• Group: Members

Posted 19 March 2009 - 02:43 PM

Well after driving home from work this morning i'm having possible regrets about buying a puma!! ohmy.gif

I love powerful cars, like a lot of us do!! I bought the puma knowing it's something it lacked. BUT!!! Handles superbly & is cheap to run!! So I made the sensible decision for once!!

Anyways, this morning i was having an enjoyable spirited drive along a nice A road on my way home from work. When i ended up behind an 07 reg Focus ST. He was taking it quite steady, I had to sit behind him for a few mins due to it not being safe to overtake him, bends, oncoming traffic etc.

So as I knew i was approaching a good straight i made sure I was in the right gear to overtake if the road was clear ahead!! It was, so i indicate & start to go around him, next thing the Tw*t decides to put his foot down!! ohmy.gif Even though i'd got my foot down 1st i knew i wasn't gonna get passed him by how quickly the ST picked up speed so i had to brake & pull him behind him!!

It really annoyed me, as you can imagine, especially at 6.30am after a 12hr night shift!! So i gave him plenty of hand signals!! ranting2.gif

When i got home I was gutted!! I had enough money to buy something with plenty more oomph under the bonnet when i bought the puma, but typically now i don't as i've taken out a better mortgage deal but had to pay some fees etc!! Think i need to get plenty of ectra hrs in at work & build my savings up again!!
If it aint Jap!! It's crap!! unless it's a Puma!! Cos they're SMOOOOOOOOTHER!!

#2 User is offline   tom192 

Posted 19 March 2009 - 02:49 PM

But how much cheaper was the Puma compared to a Focus ST??

#3 User is offline   actionman 

Posted 19 March 2009 - 02:59 PM

Price has nothing to do with it for me!! I could've got something with a lot more power for what i paid for the Puma. Like a mk2 MR2 Turbo!! A few mods & they push 300bhp easily!! My mate had 1 & it was nuts!!

I opted for the puma as a sensible option. Good mpg, cheap insurance, reliable etc etc. I knew it wasn't that quick in a straight line but i thought i'd be fine with that!! For easily a yr or so in which time i could save a bit more & buy what i really wanted!!

Before the puma i had a mk5 1.25 fiesta!! 75bhp & slow as hell!! No chance of overtaking much so i never tried & it didn't bother me. But before the Fiesta I had a 363bhp Evo V. If I was overtaking somebody & they decided to play silly buggers & put their foot down. Well, they may as well have not bothered with how quick I could get passed them!!

I was really happy with the puma until this morning. Now cos of some idiot in an ST that didn't wanna let me passed even though he was having a steady drive before I tried to pass him I know feel like i do need some extra power so that if it happens again I can still safely pass & not have to slam the brakes on while on the other side of the road!!

#4 User is offline   grayfox 

Posted 19 March 2009 - 03:29 PM

I guess its about how flexible you are adopting a change of attitude towards your driving style.

You say your previous fiesta didnt bother you so at least its a step up in power and like you say you need to think about why you got a puma in the first place, mortgage ect.

Just enjoy it for what its good for, its easy to point out the bad points of anything.

A car does have a hell of a lot to do with how it makes you feel but id hate to think someone missed out on a good experience because of how other drivers behaviour on the roads.

bhp's well overrated in my book

#5 User is offline   pumanurse 

Posted 19 March 2009 - 03:36 PM

You will always come across a driver that will do that to you, regardless of the car you are driving. If you had had 'that bit of extra power' you'd have gone a bit faster, then he would, then you would, etc until one of you ended in a ditch.
No Comment

#6 User is offline   CaraBebe 

Posted 19 March 2009 - 03:38 PM

Tis true my zetec 1.7 is slow as hell in my books, but thats my only negative mind you.
The puma is a great runner and is nippy enough at a roundabout...

I will be getting a Civvy Type-R next year though so har-de-har. Good times

This post has been edited by CaraBebe: 19 March 2009 - 03:41 PM

#7 User is offline   Banny 

Posted 19 March 2009 - 03:55 PM

Fiesta ST's will always have the edge over a Puma, but the looks are pap, and the depreciation is unbelieveable. If you wanted speed, a Puma was a bad choice. The package of the Puma is far better than the Fiesta ST though.
For the ST to hammer you though, is abit worrying, as my FRP was quicker than a std ST. You never know whats under the bonnet of any car though. Just be happy you have a lovely motor, and not just some fez with body roll like Vanessa Phelph's!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This post has been edited by Banny: 19 March 2009 - 03:56 PM

#8 User is offline   Mork of Ork 

Posted 19 March 2009 - 04:00 PM

It was a Focus ST Banny not a Fiesta, I expect they are a bit nippier! wink.gif
There are only 10 types of people in the world - those who understand binary, and those that don't.

My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die!

#9 User is offline   eldoodarino 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 19 March 2009 - 04:03 PM

fit a Nitrous kit... smile.gif

the ST is in for a surprise then.. wink.gif

you'll FLY past it... w00t.gif

Chris
Wizards Of Nos 60hp progressive delivery.... yeah baby yeah :-o
Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

#10 User is offline   pumarv6 

Posted 19 March 2009 - 04:11 PM

Shock! Car with at least 100bhp/200Nm advantage driven by person who obviously dislikes being overtaken denies Puma driver the chance to get ahead!

It would appear you bought the wrong car.

#11 User is offline   actionman 

Posted 19 March 2009 - 04:13 PM

Banny!!

it was a FOCUS ST!! Like stated in my post!! wink.gif

Grayfox!!

Yes i bought it as a step up from the fiesta knowing it didn't have oodles of power. I bought it to keep running costs down so I could carry on saving for something better after i'd put a bit more cash into the house with the new mortgage deal!! When i bought it i was driving to work 5 days per wk & 20 days per month!! Since buying the puma my shifts have changed & i now get all my hours done in 3 days per wk & i've also been swapped onto a shift with a lad that lives on the same street so we now share drive. So now only drive to work 6 days per month!!

If i'd known that was gonna happen I wouldn't have been bothered about running costs & would've prob bought something else.

As for the power side of things. For those who aren't bothered, well I am. Hence the majority of the cars i've owned over the last 10yrs say having over 200bhp.

For me i enjoy the extra power. Being able to feel it as you open the throttle more exiting corners etc. If somebody put 2 pumas in front of me, 1 totally standard the other with say an extra 50bhp. I know which i'm gonna choose. They may be able to carry the same speed through a corner but i'd prefer the extyra grunt

It's like people go on about the pumas handling. Yes it's very good but so were a lot of other cars i've had. I wouldn't say the puma handled any better & still def lacks power!!

#12 User is offline   pumanurse 

Posted 19 March 2009 - 04:17 PM

If you're not happy with it, change it for something that has got everything you want and stop whinging
No Comment

#13 User is online   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 19 March 2009 - 04:56 PM

but PN that is not possible currently as the dosh went elsewhere

Personally be happy in being able to run a reasonably enoyable car that can be fun and spirited biggrin.gif
There is more to driving than BHP, and more to life than ditch dodging.
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#14 User is offline   Kat B 

• View gallery

Posted 19 March 2009 - 04:57 PM

Couldn't have put it better! I bought a Puma because to me they are classy lookers with awesome handling. Speed means little, I'd rather look and feel good than end up in a ditch! wink.gif
Saw It... Wanted It... Had A Fit... Got It!

#15 User is offline   ARTY 

Posted 19 March 2009 - 05:13 PM

QUOTE (actionman @ Mar 19 2009, 02:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well after driving home from work this morning i'm having possible regrets about buying a puma!! ohmy.gif

I love powerful cars, like a lot of us do!! I bought the puma knowing it's something it lacked. BUT!!! Handles superbly & is cheap to run!! So I made the sensible decision for once!!

Anyways, this morning i was having an enjoyable spirited drive along a nice A road on my way home from work. When i ended up behind an 07 reg Focus ST. He was taking it quite steady, I had to sit behind him for a few mins due to it not being safe to overtake him, bends, oncoming traffic etc.

So as I knew i was approaching a good straight i made sure I was in the right gear to overtake if the road was clear ahead!! It was, so i indicate & start to go around him, next thing the Tw*t decides to put his foot down!! ohmy.gif Even though i'd got my foot down 1st i knew i wasn't gonna get passed him by how quickly the ST picked up speed so i had to brake & pull him behind him!!

It really annoyed me, as you can imagine, especially at 6.30am after a 12hr night shift!! So i gave him plenty of hand signals!! ranting2.gif

When i got home I was gutted!! I had enough money to buy something with plenty more oomph under the bonnet when i bought the puma, but typically now i don't as i've taken out a better mortgage deal but had to pay some fees etc!! Think i need to get plenty of ectra hrs in at work & build my savings up again!!

biggrin.gif It really makes no difference cos its the most attractive car ford have ever built

#16 User is offline   eldoodarino 

Posted 19 March 2009 - 05:28 PM

QUOTE (pumarv6 @ Mar 19 2009, 04:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Shock! Car with at least 100bhp/200Nm advantage driven by person who obviously dislikes being overtaken denies Puma driver the chance to get ahead!

It would appear you bought the wrong car.

ouch dude..

laugh.gif
Wizards Of Nos 60hp progressive delivery.... yeah baby yeah :-o
Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

#17 User is offline   shinigami 

Posted 19 March 2009 - 05:30 PM

I take it this was a newer ST focus and not the ST170?
FRP = Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!

Owner of FRP #444

#18 User is offline   Thunderbird 

Posted 19 March 2009 - 05:42 PM

I know exactly how you feel!

I have done it myself to a Focus. I didn't let him overtake me for a good 8 miles on a dual carriage way. He tried really hard, but, my lovely Puma stood up the test. It wasn't an ST though!lol But hey, is it karam that happend their with you?! (Because I have done to a Focus, another Focus done it to you?!)

On a different note, I have driven a 330i BMW the other day, and boy, wish you were there to see what it was doing! Massive 3 liters beast under the bonnet and the car was eating the road like a monster! I didn't need the 5th nor the 6th gears in that very spirited driving! It is a shame it drinks petrol like there is no tomorrow!
I love it when my Millie purrrrrrs!!

51 Reg. 1.7 Panther Black PUMA, 67595 miles, FFSH

#19 User is offline   ARTY 

Posted 19 March 2009 - 05:44 PM

QUOTE (actionman @ Mar 19 2009, 03:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

biggrin.gif I forgot to mention ive never seen steve mcqueen in a focus or an mr2

#20 User is offline   pumaSV650S 

Posted 19 March 2009 - 06:28 PM

I thought about getting a Focus St too

I drive a standard Focus in work and know they are great cars
I've had a go in an ST but I am glad I went for the 1.7 moondust silver Puma!

It doesn't matter that the ST is faster, it's not a lot faster anyway is it!
The Puma is a better drive, handles better and that's saying something!

The Puma is cheaper to buy, run and insure and personally I think the Puma is a fantasic looking car
whereas the Focus is based on possibly the most popular car in the country- They are everywhere! lol tongue.gif

I can't wait to see if Ford do another version, I just hope they come up with another classic design cool.gif
2001 1.7 Moondust Silver Puma ;) 127mph + 0-60 in 8.8secs

'#46' d(^_^)b "need trance.fm in my car!" d(~_~)b '#46'

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked