Pumapeople: Cutting Out - Doing My Head In - Pumapeople

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cutting Out - Doing My Head In

#1 User is offline   spacedmonkeys 

• Group: Members

Posted 04 May 2007 - 05:11 PM

Ok. This is now starting to actually cause a problem as its impacting on work as I am reluctant to go out on business trips using the FRP...

Drove down to Docklands in London on Wednesday, all was fine, in fact, all has been fine since i gave the TPS and ICV a good clean a few weeks ago (this was following some advice from here - my accelerator was being "sticky"). The clean seemed to help with the sticky revs at least theyve almost stopped.

Coming back off the M25 and joining the M1, hit a long long line of very slow traffic. Clutch up, move a car length, clutch down. Repeat X thousand times.
After 15 minutes of this the FRP starts juddering a bit, then the revs are up and down, and finally dropping too low and the engine cuts out.
I must've had to restart the engine about 50 times, which cant be good. Every time the revs will drop right off and the engine cuts out.

It has done this before, last summer on a similarly hot day after a similarly long motorway drive when hitting traffic.

It was fine when back up to motorway speed but getting back home it was stalling at traffic lights and again when putting it away in the garage. Same thing again yesterday and today - I thought the cooldown over night might have sorted it out but no, its trying to cut out constantly when in traffic.

This has been reported to Pumabuild the last 2 times its been serviced and they couldnt find anything wrong.

So please, before I get really annoyed with it and put the damn thing on Autotrader, anyone know what can cause this!!??

#2 User is offline   Leighton 

Posted 04 May 2007 - 05:25 PM

I had this after a long motorway drive, once the motorway had ended and carried on to a dual carriageway it began to stall at every junction and roundabout. I managed to solve this with a brand new idle control valve as the old one just gave up, and no end of cleaning helped.

Hope this helps biggrin.gif

#3 User is offline   Pearson 

Posted 04 May 2007 - 05:47 PM

QUOTE (Leighton @ May 4 2007, 06:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I had this after a long motorway drive, once the motorway had ended and carried on to a dual carriageway it began to stall at every junction and roundabout. I managed to solve this with a brand new idle control valve as the old one just gave up, and no end of cleaning helped.

Hope this helps biggrin.gif

Indeed, cleaning the TPs & ICV has essentially solved the problem albeit for a short period, thus I'd say it was one or the other - I'd buy a brand new ICV 1st (and remember to disconnect the batt for 1/2 hr to reset ECU), then if its not worked change the TPS - either way one should solve the problem

Jon
Update (Sept 08): Puma gone after 5 years, now have VW 170 Tiguan TDI Sport and now have my weekends back rather than fixing the rust, HCV's, filling it up every 250 miles and worrying about the next timing belt change

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic