Pumapeople: Steering Judder - Pumapeople

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Steering Judder Is it or isn't it?

#1 User is offline   Pinhead 

• Group: Members

Posted 20 September 2019 - 03:53 PM

So there is steering judder on my 1.7 T-Reg Puma - noticeable at higher speeds when braking and when the brakes get hot. In the past where I have owned an XR2i and a MKII Fiesta, this always turned out to be worn disks (rotors). Its just passed its MOT (hooray!) but the garage say they think its due to 3 out of the 4 original alloy rims having slight distortion. The car also pulls to the left a bit, even though its been tracked about 3 times and come out fine, and there is a little vibration at all speeds from the wheel if I'm honest, so could this be the tie rods, track rod or even ball joint?

What's people's general findings where they have had this happen on their Puma?

#2 User is offline   Ian G 

• Group: Admin

Posted 20 September 2019 - 10:16 PM

Joints will accentuate the wobble but won't necessarily cause it.

Rims are notoriously poor, when supplying a set its normal to need 3 or 4 donor cars to get a set of 4 good ones. Might be worth borrowing some straight ones if that is an option.

Does the left disc get hot in normal driving? Not Puma related but I've known those symptoms where a disc was fitted on a hub that had damage and the disc wasn't flat to the hub meaning it was wobbling like a warped one but replacement didn't help because the new disc still didn't sit right.

#3 User is offline   Pinhead 

Posted 21 September 2019 - 06:53 PM

I'll check the disks after another drive then and report back.

I've certainly had it on early Fiesta's I've owned in the past where if you don't make sure the mating faces between hub and disk are spotless of any corrosion etc the disk will warp in the first few months. I have had a mild knock on the left hand side some years ago but have had disks fitted since that have not warped before, so this is a new thing. Cool running and at low speeds they are fine. Motorway run at higher speeds and a warm up later and the judder is back.

#4 User is offline   Pinhead 

Posted 01 September 2021 - 04:25 PM

It also pulls to left quite seriously. Tracking is fine - tracked 3 times! At rest, driveline seems to sit slightly cocked to left at rest. Presume suspension issue? Springs, shocks, control arms and all the rest?

#5 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 04 September 2021 - 09:47 AM

My car once drove pulling to one side, turned out to be that I had uneven tyre wear (caused from several track days) which had slanted the tyres on one side.
Did your last MOT have any advisories.
Did you get the tracking checked at the same place three times.
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#6 User is offline   Pinhead 

Posted 10 September 2021 - 07:24 PM

View Posthappy-kat, on 04 September 2021 - 09:47 AM, said:

My car once drove pulling to one side, turned out to be that I had uneven tyre wear (caused from several track days) which had slanted the tyres on one side.
Did your last MOT have any advisories.
Did you get the tracking checked at the same place three times.

This post has been edited by Pinhead: 10 September 2021 - 07:25 PM

#7 User is offline   Pinhead 

Posted 10 September 2021 - 07:27 PM

Interesting. No, no such advisory. But yeah, tracked on the same equipment 3 times which they assured me was v. expesive etc. No uneven tyre wear detectable.

#8 User is offline   Pinhead 

Posted 10 September 2021 - 07:29 PM

My guess is they only did one spring replacement at one point, so might get them to do both spring s at once.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic