• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Spiritual Successor To The Puma? I think so. Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   mikey2cv 

• View gallery
  • Group: Members

Posted 06 April 2008 - 06:37 AM

Coral picked up her new car yesterday and so we had to go for a spin. It is similar to the Puma in that it makes you smile every time you drive. It also seems to like it best when you really throw it around and give it some stick, and this is from a car that has done just a handful of miles! What do you guys think?

Mike

My photos

Add Mikey2cv to your Flikr contacts and I will send you an invite to join the Pumapeople friends group.

#2 User is offline   BOK 

Posted 06 April 2008 - 06:56 AM

it's a welcome change from the contrived new 'Mini' and 'Beetle' but I actually prefer the design of the Panda on which the Neuvo Cinquecento is based. Note I'm not saying the Panda is better looking, it's a just a better design...

Having said that it's one of the few new cars I'd bother to go out and test drive. Looking forward to the Abarth or even maybe an Abarth SS lightweight version smile.gif The quality and dealer service had better be good or else it will fall.

Will reserve full judgement until I've had a good poke and PROPER drive preferably sans salesman wink.gif

The last car I drove that invoked Puma-sized smiles was a Smart Coupe roadster back in '04...

This post has been edited by BOK: 06 April 2008 - 06:59 AM

#3 User is offline   mikey2cv 

• View gallery

Posted 06 April 2008 - 07:05 AM

I agree with your comments, Colin. The usability is compromised over the Panda for style, but the car is still reasonably practical. It does have the worlds shortest parcel shelf, however! I've only done a few miles in it so far, but already I know that it is happier being driven hard than dawdling. It's not enormously fast, but speed can be maintained through the twisties and now, having had a go, I can only imagine that the Abarth versions will be something special. My main criticism so far would be the stiff ride. It doesn't bother me but if you expect your small car to cosset you, you might not like it.

As for the dealers, all I can report about the one we've been using is that they are brilliant when you're buying a car. How they will fair looking after it is a question yet to be answered...
Mike

My photos

Add Mikey2cv to your Flikr contacts and I will send you an invite to join the Pumapeople friends group.

#4 User is offline   pumanurse 

Posted 06 April 2008 - 07:14 AM

Totally off topic

Isn't Coral a lovely name?

Coral looks very happy with the car, which is what matters. If it's safe and fun to drive who could ask for more?

No Comment

#5 User is offline   BOK 

Posted 06 April 2008 - 07:17 AM

Here's hoping the Abarth one will be more than just a top of the range model with big wheels and a bodykit which is how other modern Abarths have been, which is a total travesty given the history of Abarth (I have a LOT of respect for the proper Abarth stuff- I badly want a Cinquecento Abarth 595 esse esse and a Strada 130TC w00t.gif w00t.gif which defines the term 'rorty' smile.gif )

Make (properly and reliably) a lightweight proper sporty version then see if I'm not tempted...tongue.gif

#6 User is offline   Crystalpuma 

Posted 06 April 2008 - 07:47 AM

Shame it's not pretty too sad.gif
"Margaret was right...piracy is our only option"
Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

Nancy & Vix

#7 User is offline   pumanurse 

Posted 06 April 2008 - 07:52 AM

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder
No Comment

#8 User is offline   Crystalpuma 

Posted 06 April 2008 - 08:00 AM

Yes but some designs are more popular than others and I suspect most Puma lovers will not love the looks of this car. I could be wrong biggrin.gif

(off-topic: is there any man alive who doesn't fancy Roger Rabbit's wife? tongue.gif)

This post has been edited by Crystalpuma: 06 April 2008 - 08:01 AM

Nancy & Vix

#9 User is offline   pumanurse 

Posted 06 April 2008 - 08:11 AM

I love the looks of my matiz as well as my Puma
No Comment

#10 User is offline   Crystalpuma 

Posted 06 April 2008 - 08:21 AM

Aww wub.gif

My best friend loves hers too, especially the ease of parking biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Crystalpuma: 06 April 2008 - 08:21 AM

Nancy & Vix

#11 User is offline   Zip It 

Posted 06 April 2008 - 08:31 AM

I love the new 500, think it looks superb on the outside and even better on the inside. They seem very popular, there are 3 in my street ohmy.gif

For me, it would have to be white with red stripes down the side, and preferably breathed on by Abarth, but if someone gave me a standard version I'd still be chuffed to bits.

It seems really good value for money, and unlike the Mini you don't have to pay for essentials like A/C.

Good choice mate, and yes Coral is a lovely name.

ex - Red 2000 Puma 1.7
ex - Black Civic Type R
now - Boring Golf TDI
now - Civic I-CTDI

#12 User is offline   Smoking_Zephyr 

Posted 06 April 2008 - 09:26 AM

QUOTE (pumanurse @ Apr 6 2008, 08:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Isn't Coral a lovely name?

Seconded...

The car looks cute and bubbly....

I ran the BUPA Great Manchester Run on 17 May 2009 to raise money for CANCER RESEARCH UK

Puma's owned to date...
July 2006 - February 2008 1998 Red S Reg 1.4 Ford Puma... February 2008 - Present 2001 Black Y Reg 1.7 Ford Puma

#13 User is offline   LisaDJ 

Posted 06 April 2008 - 10:16 AM

Not my cup of tea but if it makes you smile then that's all that matters biggrin.gif

#14 User is offline   Neil 

Posted 06 April 2008 - 11:52 AM

Maybe not the spirtual successor (it's not a coupe), but I think it's a fab little car. It's better looking, cheaper, and more practical than a Mini. Plus the Abarth version should be a corker.
2006 - 2008 Ford Puma 1.7 Lux | 2008 - 2010 Ford Racing Puma #0013 | 2010 - 2012 Mini Cooper S | 2012 - ? RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup

#15 User is offline   Guy Incognito 

Posted 06 April 2008 - 01:24 PM

I have only seen a few on the road and not had a good lokk close up yet. A bit too contrived for me, would take the Panda if any.

Does look nice in the balck in your photos so I will have a good look when I get a chance.

#16 User is offline   deeceebee 

Posted 06 April 2008 - 05:52 PM

Never been a Fiat fan so not my thing but whatever floats yer boat as they say. Enjoy your new wheels!
New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team.

#17 User is offline   spenspuma 

Posted 06 April 2008 - 06:43 PM

I like it - although i dont think its style is quite as individual as the puma, but thats just personal taste. I would be worried it being a Fiat but it wouldnt put me off buying one if i wanted one, afterall you get 3 year warranty from new.

Hope you enjoy it as much as the Puma good.gif

This post has been edited by spenspuma: 06 April 2008 - 06:44 PM

SPENCER
FORD PUMA THUNDER 2002 (SOLD)
HONDA CRZ 2013

#18 User is offline   mikey2cv 

• View gallery

Posted 06 April 2008 - 08:00 PM

I've not seen any on the road (apart from the dealer demonstrator) so I'm surprised that someone has 3 in their street! Maybe we're a bit backward up here...

Coral will be pleased with your lovely comments, cheers!
Mike

My photos

#19 User is offline   BOK 

Posted 06 April 2008 - 09:43 PM

QUOTE (pumanurse @ Apr 6 2008, 09:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I love the looks of my matiz as well as my Puma

The Matiz (MK1) for me surpassed what I was expecting of it so it ranks in my list of impressive cars.

The only demerit was the very poor brakes which couldn't even cope with the modest power it has. It can cope with one emergency stop, no more.

But for use of interior space, ease of use, value, fun and manoeverability it scores very well indeed IMO...

#20 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 06 April 2008 - 09:56 PM

saw an advert tonight saying Fiat now giving 5 year warranty
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic