Pumapeople: Lost For Words - Pumapeople

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Lost For Words Rate Topic: -----

#1 Guest_Tiggr_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 27 March 2007 - 09:25 AM

Says it all really. Anyone else logged in today to read all of the bullsh1t from last night and wonder why we bother with this so called community?

Very dissapointed to see that people can no longer have reasoned debate about anything in an area that they pay for. Very sad to see that people have to push things to the extreme to make a point. Rules are rules, I can see that, but rules only work if they are applied in an even handed way, and that seems to be somewhat lacking.

Good for James for making a point, good for Sarah for the counter argument. Good for Rachel for raising the issue of swearing, good for Stacey for trying to control the situation. Just a shame that what could have been an opportunity to hold a reasoned discussion on the ways in which the membership here can influence the site ended up the way it did. To state that the membership have no right to develop the community flies in the face of what a community is about.

So if we are a real community, then let us be one, but if we are just another car club, then get rid of the sponsor area as this has no value in a club that is here to advise on squeaky brakes or the best cleaning product.

Maybe the thread title was wrong, and maybe i'm not being as vocal as I want to be.

You choose...

Oh, and sorry if my avatar offends non Christians or lovers of Dali

#2 Guest_Miss Boss_*

Posted 27 March 2007 - 09:27 AM

i dont believe you're lost for words? lol

But how are the moderating team/Jason meant to act when certain members go out of their way to stir things up on the site to deliberately cause friction and tension?

#3 User is offline   angelxxx 

• View gallery
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 March 2007 - 09:30 AM

See my post here http://www.pumapeople.com/forum/index.php?s=&...st&p=546715

#4 Guest_Tiggr_*

Posted 27 March 2007 - 10:00 AM

QUOTE (Miss Boss @ Mar 27 2007, 10:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But how are the moderating team/Jason meant to act when certain members go out of their way to stir things up on the site to deliberately cause friction and tension?

As Jason has always done with me wink.gif You take it off line, and do it through PM / IM. You more than anyone know some of the arguments Jason and I have had over the years, the point is, if things are controlled to the nth degree, then people will rebel. Doesnt matter if its in a virtual forum or the streets of Paris in the late 60's. Give people th espace to rant from time to time, and shepherd the forums in general. The odd "hey guys, lets calm things down" is all it needs. Otherwise people like James, Sarah, ME! will push things, because we see things as being overly controlled.

I moderated on here for long enough to know you need the patience of a saint at times, and in general the "team" do a cracking job, BUT moderating is a two way process. Move a thread by all means, but have the courtesy to tell the originator why. It matters not one jot that the rules say this or the rules say that, it is pure common courtesy, and takes what, two minutes to write a PM to the originator saying why it was moved.

Maybe then, when it is a two way process, you may find people are less likely to blow up.

#5 Guest_Miss Boss_*

Posted 27 March 2007 - 10:07 AM

ok using Sarah as an example (maybe not a good idea as she isnt here to defend herself but then again maybe that is a good idea lol) but anyways...she agreed to rid of her avatar...fair enough thats what the mods/Jason asked. However, she then went on to start/hijack 3 threads talking about her avatar and swearing etc only to wind the mods up. If she was happy to alter her avatar, why not leave it at that?

oh and if they pm-ed everyone who they moderated, they would spend 90% of their time pm-ing in this place lol!!

#6 Guest_Tiggr_*

Posted 27 March 2007 - 10:09 AM

Think she was refering to the fact that for 2 years she had that as her avatar, and as Jason pointed out at the end of one of the threads, its should have been changed long ago. Its the fact that it wasnt challenged 2 years ago that may well have forced her to take the action she did.

As I said, a level playing field is all that is needed, then everyone will be happy, but as Rob pointed out, although we have "rules" these rules dont cover a huge amount. I know, I sent a copy of them to Jason last week...

QUOTE (Miss Boss @ Mar 27 2007, 11:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
oh and if they pm-ed everyone who they moderated, they would spend 90% of their time pm-ing in this place lol!!

Would they? Things have changed a lot in the last 12 months then.

#7 Guest_Miss Boss_*

Posted 27 March 2007 - 10:11 AM

Jason admits a mistake was made that it wasn't moved 2 years ago but has made a decision now that from this point forward avatars are not to contain swear words. Surely that should have been enough for her to say 'woohoo...i got away with it for as long as i did'.

#8 Guest_Tiggr_*

Posted 27 March 2007 - 10:14 AM

Aye it would, but each of us if different. Im not defending her actions, nor James', just putting the reasoned view across that all that is needed is consitency, on all sides...

#9 Guest_XIIVVX_*

Posted 27 March 2007 - 10:28 AM

QUOTE (Miss Boss @ Mar 27 2007, 11:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jason admits a mistake was made that it wasn't moved 2 years ago ..

And then invents the sin of 'petulance' to warrant the banning of somebody who is an active and useful contributor.

ja_stupid.gif

XIIVVX

#10 Guest_Tiggr_*

Posted 27 March 2007 - 01:44 PM

Interesting article

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6499095.stm

#11 User is offline   stewart borland 

Posted 27 March 2007 - 10:55 PM

Sorry, I'm being a bit slow here tonight, is Sarah banned then ohmy.gif
How long for, is she coming back?
I love her posts, they are always original, often very funny, and yet often informative too sad.gif
Another question... what did James do, did he start it or something?

Any other catch up info for the menatlly challenged appreciated blush.gif
Stewart

My Webpage

My Other Webpage

'All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing'

#12 Guest_Tiggr_*

Posted 27 March 2007 - 10:56 PM

Takes a lot o time for ino to get to Glan Coe wink.gif

Sarah is moderated, and James posted some rather interesting anatomical avatars plus a rather naughty word in one wink.gif

#13 User is offline   JamesMalin 

• View gallery

Posted 27 March 2007 - 10:58 PM

I was a victim of a mass cover up and conspiracy involving Jason, Bill Clinton and Area 52...yes 52 so secret not even the people that work there know about it! laugh.gif

I totally missed this post.

All in the past, we were bad, spanked bum, don't do it again.....snorted smile.gif
www.oc-motorsport.co.uk

For all Ford Servicing, repairs and conversions. Call or pm me for details. Based in Brentwood, Essex

www.stuffbymonkey.co.uk

Official Member Of The 'BIG HITTERS' Club

#14 User is offline   Stacey 

Posted 27 March 2007 - 11:15 PM

At last, some good sense from Mr Malin... smile.gif

#15 User is offline   JamesMalin 

• View gallery

Posted 27 March 2007 - 11:18 PM

Its always benn there i just enjoy having fun! wink.gif
www.oc-motorsport.co.uk

For all Ford Servicing, repairs and conversions. Call or pm me for details. Based in Brentwood, Essex

www.stuffbymonkey.co.uk

Official Member Of The 'BIG HITTERS' Club

#16 User is offline   stewart borland 

Posted 28 March 2007 - 04:03 PM

So, without wanting to stir up any more aggro (I just can't be bothered ploughing through all those posts in the relevant threads) and without any bias (splutter splutter) how have we still got James ja_bebe.gif but not Sarah wub.gif ??
Stewart

My Webpage

My Other Webpage

'All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing'

#17 User is offline   Jessie 

Posted 28 March 2007 - 04:07 PM

Because James appologised to the powers that be and Sarah asked to have her account deleted
Atheism is a non-prophet organisation

#18 Guest_Tiggr_*

Posted 28 March 2007 - 04:14 PM

Question is, had she removed everything she wanted first, and does that mean that all threads started by Sarah have also gone?

#19 User is offline   spenspuma 

Posted 28 March 2007 - 04:17 PM

QUOTE (Tiggr @ Mar 28 2007, 05:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Question is, had she removed everything she wanted first, and does that mean that all threads started by Sarah have also gone?

Im sure you'll be able to answer that question Doctor Watson laugh.gif
SPENCER
FORD PUMA THUNDER 2002 (SOLD)
HONDA CRZ 2013

#20 Guest_Tiggr_*

Posted 28 March 2007 - 04:20 PM

Well apparently no, she didn't.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic