Pumapeople: Rear Sub-Frame Rubber Bush Replacement - Pumapeople

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rear Sub-Frame Rubber Bush Replacement MOT failure - moving to Powerflex

#1 User is offline   megaboost 

• Group: Members

Posted 28 October 2009 - 06:25 PM

My poor old Puma failed it's MOT today, unfortunately it's been a busy year and TLC has been lacking so this wasn't completely unexpected.

Amongst other things it failed on nearside and offside "rear sub-frame rubber bushes" which have "deteriorated resulting in excessive movement" - I suspected as much as the car had started to feel sloppy and had already planned to replace the bushes with some Powerflex ones.

So with the failure in mind this is the plan and I was going to pop to Pumaspeed tomorrow and pick up a set:

http://www.pumaspeed...ails.php?id=697

My question, and the reason for this post, is really to check if "rear sub-frame bushes" in MOT speak are called something else and are they included in the set linked above? I'm thinking it's the "Rear Beam Mounting Bush" but just want to check :)

It also failed for corrosion near the seat mounts on both sides so needs a bit of welding :(

This post has been edited by megaboost: 28 October 2009 - 06:31 PM

#2 User is offline   FlashBastd 

• Group: Validating

Posted 28 October 2009 - 07:22 PM

I would check with the test station, as the could mean front subframe rear bushes.

Also, I would advise against Powerflex in the rear beam, they make the ride very harsh, broken tarmac becomes AWFUL to drive over. I recently changed my Powerflex back to new standard items and it was one of the best things I have done, so much nicer to drive day-to-day. Plus the standard bushes are much cheaper.
2005 Vauxhall VX220 Turbo
2000 Ford Focus 1.6i Ghia
2006 Renault Clio 2.0i RenaultSport 197 - SOLD
2005 Honda CR-V 2.0i Executive auto
2001 Ford Puma 1.7i Black

#3 User is offline   megaboost 

Posted 28 October 2009 - 07:30 PM

I'm going to have a look under the car in the morning if I get chance but I'm planning on changing the bushes anyway so if the kit includes the usual suspects hopefully I'll be OK anyway?

As for the harshness... my other half has a Puma with all the bushes changes to Powerflex and lower, stiffer suspension and I prefer the ride to my lofty little boat so hopefully I'll be happy enough. I don't really drive the Puma as a comfy GT car so am happy to accept the compromise if it gives me a bit more communication with the road.

#4 User is offline   FlashBastd 

Posted 28 October 2009 - 09:58 PM

Problem is I would argue that there is little benefit compared to new standard bushes, at the back at least.

Your car though, just don't want you to regret it like I did. Plus I am not alone, I think Eldoodarino would agree, he also swapped his FRP back to standard from Powerflex.

#5 User is offline   Dezza 

• View gallery

Posted 28 October 2009 - 10:14 PM

I had powerflex bushes in the rear beam on the FRP and swapped them to the Ford ones and find it much better
Dez

#6 User is offline   megaboost 

Posted 28 October 2009 - 10:44 PM

View PostFlashBastd, on 28 October 2009 - 09:58 PM, said:

Problem is I would argue that there is little benefit compared to new standard bushes, at the back at least.

Your car though, just don't want you to regret it like I did. Plus I am not alone, I think Eldoodarino would agree, he also swapped his FRP back to standard from Powerflex.

Always happy to take comments on board and have my mind changed when appropriate :)

The problem I have is that I really like the way the our other car drives but it has a few other differences to mine so it's not a true back to back test, what I wanted to avoid was getting the standard bushes and then going to the expense of having the Powerflex ones fitted later. I can't get anything done until next week anyway so any more comments / feedback about this one would be appreciated because there are always better things to spend money on.

I'm guessing the difference between knackered old bushes and new ones will be quite apparent anyway.

#7 User is offline   dancer 

Posted 28 October 2009 - 11:01 PM

'Rear subframe rubber bushes' is the nearest description
on the mot computer for the rear beam bushes. That is what
I use when issuing a VT30 and never had any issues with VOSA.

#8 User is offline   FlashBastd 

Posted 29 October 2009 - 07:17 AM

View Postmegaboost, on 28 October 2009 - 10:44 PM, said:

I'm guessing the difference between knackered old bushes and new ones will be quite apparent anyway.

Absolutely right.

From what I can gather, the rear beam is where the PowerFlex give the least benefit and have the greatest impact upon ride quality. If you were talking about putting them in the front, then I would say yes, definatately (or use the uprated FRP bush).

#9 User is offline   megaboost 

Posted 08 November 2009 - 05:52 PM

New bushes on, took your advice and went for the standard ones in the end.

I need to put some miles in to really get a feel for it but in the few miles I did it felt tighter and more stable at the back end.

Cost me £350 for the work though, needed a bit of welding underneath to pass the MOT - rust near the seat mounts, new bushes and the cost of the MOT itself - I saved a fair bit buying a cheap car to begin with but it's biting me on the ass now :)

I wouldn't change a thing though, the little car continues to make me smile each time I drive it.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic