• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hazrad Light Switch - Mot Failed Electrical / Technical

#1 User is offline   Mary Jane 

• Group: Members

Posted 16 January 2010 - 12:10 PM

Hi All,

I have a Ford Puma 1.7 - R reg.
It just failed the MOT test for brakes, corrosion on outer sill suspension components, and the hazard light switch..

I need to know how much it will cost me to get the hazard light switch fixed? The indicators are working, and when the hazard light switch is on - only the right side is blinking, unless I press the left indicator when all 4 lights are blinking.

Now some garages are telling me it would cost £15 if it's the relay or the switch - but where I had the MOT done (at Mr. Clutch), they are quoting me £150!!!! As apparently it's the whole steering column that needs to be changed as it all comes in one part???? Is this correct? Or are they just trying to rip me off?

I saw a steering column for sale for £14 on ebay - could I just buy this then, and have it fitted in?

As for the brakes - a new pad and disc is required for the front. I was quoted £144 incl VAT, parts and labour. Is this reasonable?

I would really appreciate your help and advice.

Mary Jane

#2 User is offline   Dogsbody 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 16 January 2010 - 01:32 PM

I presume Mr Clutch also sell brake and suspension parts ?

If its the switch, The Switch is just screwed at the top of the column.
Not the whole column.
Not a major job to fit and easily got at a car breakers yard as the Puma shares the bit fiesta's.
I would go for the relay first though, not sure which one it is off hand, but it shouldn't be more than £10 from your local Ford dealer.

Front disks and pads will cost around £50-£60 so the other £90 is for labour they are charging.
Most garages charge at least £55 an hour, so 1.5 hours to fit?? Not too bad I suppose.
MK4 XR3i
Mk3 XR3i
R Reg 1.7 Puma
T Reg 1.7 Lux Puma
Now its Racing Puma 072

Graham

Posted Image

#3 User is offline   Pumasparky 

Posted 16 January 2010 - 01:42 PM

£150 sounds like a lot to me. The Hazard light switch is on the top of the housing and I may be wrong but even if the whole switchgear has to be changed I wouldn't have expected it to cost this much. The relay replacement at £15 sounds more like the right action to me, the hazard light relay is seperate from the indicator switch, that's probably why they still work OK.

If I recall correctly, there is a relay that is plugged into the indicator switch assembley,but I'm pretty sure this is for the 'normal' indicators.

I'm just looking for the hazard light relay. I may be back unless someone else posts.
PUMASPARKY

#4 User is offline   FlashBastd 

• Group: Validating

Posted 16 January 2010 - 05:28 PM

The complete switch assembly (excluding relay) is around £130 new, so £150 fitted doesn't sound out of the way.

I had to replace mine a while back, but got lucky with an eBay seller selling new parts for around £35.
2005 Vauxhall VX220 Turbo
2000 Ford Focus 1.6i Ghia
2006 Renault Clio 2.0i RenaultSport 197 - SOLD
2005 Honda CR-V 2.0i Executive auto
2001 Ford Puma 1.7i Black

#5 User is offline   Dogsbody 

Posted 16 January 2010 - 09:23 PM

I think this is right :unsure:
Clicky
less than £30 deliverd new :)
MK4 XR3i
Mk3 XR3i
R Reg 1.7 Puma
T Reg 1.7 Lux Puma
Now its Racing Puma 072

Graham

Posted Image

#6 User is offline   FlashBastd 

• Group: Validating

Posted 16 January 2010 - 09:51 PM

Good find!

To the OP - let me have your VIN, if your car was built before 15/9/98 (built, not registered) then that won't be the right part.
2005 Vauxhall VX220 Turbo
2000 Ford Focus 1.6i Ghia
2006 Renault Clio 2.0i RenaultSport 197 - SOLD
2005 Honda CR-V 2.0i Executive auto
2001 Ford Puma 1.7i Black

#7 User is offline   Mary Jane 

Posted 02 February 2010 - 02:28 PM

View PostPumasparky, on 16 January 2010 - 01:42 PM, said:

£150 sounds like a lot to me. The Hazard light switch is on the top of the housing and I may be wrong but even if the whole switchgear has to be changed I wouldn't have expected it to cost this much. The relay replacement at £15 sounds more like the right action to me, the hazard light relay is seperate from the indicator switch, that's probably why they still work OK.

If I recall correctly, there is a relay that is plugged into the indicator switch assembley,but I'm pretty sure this is for the 'normal' indicators.

I'm just looking for the hazard light relay. I may be back unless someone else posts.

Thank you for the advice

View PostFlashBastd, on 16 January 2010 - 05:28 PM, said:

The complete switch assembly (excluding relay) is around £130 new, so £150 fitted doesn't sound out of the way.

I had to replace mine a while back, but got lucky with an eBay seller selling new parts for around £35.

Wow, that's good - I saw one too on ebay a lot cheaper - that might be the way to go.

View PostFlashBastd, on 16 January 2010 - 09:51 PM, said:

Good find!

To the OP - let me have your VIN, if your car was built before 15/9/98 (built, not registered) then that won't be the right part.

It's a 1997 car.

#8 User is offline   pumapete17vct 

Posted 02 February 2010 - 05:28 PM

try cleaningthe switch by spraying it with electrical contact cleaner and working the switch on and off many times. ive got quite a few working again this way, when i was in the dealership. common with all fords with this syle of hazzard switch as they just fill full of dust etc. sometimes a gentle blow with an airline can be helpful too

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic