• You cannot reply to this topic

The Ultimate Racing Puma!

#1 User is offline   ally frp364 

• Group: Members

Posted 26 January 2007 - 11:21 PM

What would be the ultimate racing puma?

A standard one(ground up rebuild now)

or

A modified 2ltr steel bottom end throttle bodies quaife short ratio?

Personally would prefer the latter as i am shook about as it is! Might as well be abit more bonkers.

Dont think i could ever sell it. Dont know if theres a ford equalivalent to exchange it for or if there is in the near future, which poses a serious prob.

#2 User is offline   V4FRP 

Posted 26 January 2007 - 11:25 PM

ground up rebuild and buy a Westfield to play with.

#3 User is offline   Big Boy Al 

• View gallery

Posted 26 January 2007 - 11:30 PM

ground up rebuild.

if i could have both then i deffo would but i like it how tickford/ford made it biggrin.gif
Posted Image
FRP 241 RINGMEISTER -23 LAPS = 296.7 MILES COMPLETED, MORE TO COME NEXT YEAR

#4 Guest_jacko_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 27 January 2007 - 10:35 AM

mondeo v6 on throttle bodies, rs 2000 4x4 running gear crazy.gif

it will fit!!!!!!!!!! il make it!!!!

#5 User is offline   BOK 

Posted 27 January 2007 - 10:49 AM

Strip the shell of all uneccessary weight, seam weld for strength. Weld in roll cage for rigidity.

Retain the chassis/suspension/brakes/wheels...all of which are well sorted IMO.

Put in a Honda K20A engine and 6 speed box with LSD and supercharger as seen in the Aerial Atom (300BHP) which will double the power to weight ratio.

That's the kind of FRP I want smile.gif

This post has been edited by BOK: 27 January 2007 - 10:51 AM

#6 User is offline   warrenpenalver 

Posted 27 January 2007 - 08:31 PM

QUOTE (jacko @ Jan 27 2007, 10:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
mondeo v6 on throttle bodies, rs 2000 4x4 running gear crazy.gif

it will fit!!!!!!!!!! il make it!!!!

The rs2000 4x4 running gear will fit with a redesigned rear end and fuel tank. Obviously you have the problems at the front subframe area of fitting the MTX75 gearbox. This has been done before in FWD config with Alan At PB's RS focus engine conversion.

The major problem with rs2000 4x4 transmision is its rarity. The transfer box alone will fetch £1000 in second hand good condition and you wont find many people selling them. The cheaper option is mondeo 2.0Si 4x4 running gear which is easily available and cheap. You can get the whole donor mondeo for less than a grand and thats with the 2.0l zetec engine which is an ideal engine for turbo charger conversion (similar as rs focus).

The only flaw with the mondeo transfer box is the 60/40 torque split front/back. The rs2000 gear has a 40/60 split front/back. Obviously this has handling and grip implications.

Im not convinced the value of fitting the mondeo V6, even in 3.0l st220 guise. It is a big engine and to make it viable youd want more than 220 bhp and its not an easy or cheap engine to tune.

Yes the V6 is an all alloy unit but the weight saving isnt worth it for the size and power.
Posted Image

#7 Guest_jacko_*

Posted 27 January 2007 - 08:54 PM

no engines cheap to tune! there is a distinct lack of bits about unless u go 4 a supercharger kit from the states.

when i get round to it ill be doing it properly - spare shell to use as a jig, spaceframe a lot of the car, running gear bits are rare tho, rs2000 is a essexs boyracer dream & as rare as frp - 500 with the tranny designed to run at maximum so prob all tattered, oil coolers keep in good condition if i can find one that hasnt been thrashed - thats pob were il b getting family dog owner mondeo bits

prob b moving the struts apart etc, got 50mm each side to play with depending on offset & modeo struts are 120mm further apart, v6 is slightly shorter but gearbox is nearly 30mm longer, gona b close getting both exhaust manifolds in - room for rad to go forward 2inchs, 3 or 4 if i replace front bar with 12mm ali, longer driveshafts from a mondeo shud allow me to sit the engine back an inch or so if the angle will let it past the block & still fit in the bearing hanger bit, imagine ill b taking 2 inches out of the bulkhead - loads of room behind dash to extent into, reckon the servo brake assist will need to go

blah blah blah - just need the time now!!!!

didnt know about the torque split tho, cheers, bits pop up quite cheap so a donor of any origin will do the job & keep buying the extra boxes til i can make a good one, ideally need rs2000 with blown engine but gud boxes, runners go 4 £1k on ebay

will miss vct but enjoy sound of v6, been looking at transfer boxes & find it a tad weird that their basically powering the rear wheels from the front right wheel so the dif in main gearbox powers front left as it should but front right powers rears as well - that shouldnt work should it??!!!!

#8 User is offline   V4FRP 

Posted 27 January 2007 - 09:09 PM

Think of AC Cobras. The body shape is perfect so V large V8 in front end driving rear end and have some fun. Dont worry about me I'm a total lunatic who likes cheap to create fast cars. Also when you do the job I want first shout on the thrown away bits.

#9 User is offline   big g 

Posted 28 January 2007 - 10:38 AM

i would perssonally go for a cosworth 4x4 setup myself

#10 User is offline   pumarv6 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 28 January 2007 - 11:17 AM

A Turby 1.7 turbo conversion (250bhp) in a lightened FRP would be a great track tool.

On a personal level, even though mine is ageing gracefully, I would love to take it back to a bare shell, and re-build using the latest coating and anti-corrosion products.

#11 Guest_jacko_*

Posted 28 January 2007 - 02:17 PM

consider the throw away bits yours - u mite b waiting a while tho!!

cossie version has been done & if goin to all that effort id like to have more than 4 pots

when i do get round to it it will be seriously stripped & protected etc, better than new. with some choice reinforcing & lightweighting; dont want an ugly roll cage so will reinforce standard 'frame', roof will hopefully be grp with ali bar reinforcement bonded on etc. got a bit of a thing for grp - it doesnt rust!!!!!

got it all pretty much sussed just waiting to move house so i can have a garage to do it in!!!!

#12 User is offline   warrenpenalver 

Posted 28 January 2007 - 07:59 PM

The RS2000 4x4 is rarer than FRP. Theres only approx 150 still on the road. The big problem with the transfer boxes is lack of oil changes leading to oil breakdown and transfer box total failure. I challenge your claim of getting a running rs2000 4x4 (with working suitable 4x4 transmission) for a grand!!!

The transfer boxes also have heat dissapation problems in high power usage. The componants themselves are more than capable of taking the extra power and there is one running 300bhp of turbo power without mechanical issues. The Transfer box was modified by CTS to have special oil cooling including oil pump and oil cooler especially for the transfer box itself.

The transfer box doea not take power from front right wheel within the diff are of gearbox. It may externally appear to do so but it does not work that way.

The diff in the gearbox is specially modified. All torque is transferred from gearbox into transfer box where it is split front and rear. The rear split goes to rear axle and is split to each wheel via a modified sierra rear diff assembly. The front torque split goes back into the gearbox FWD differential where it is split intoleaft and right. The left hand drveshaft being conventional, the right hand driveshaft passing through the transfer box yet having no mechanical interaction with the transfer box.
Posted Image

#13 User is offline   pumarv6 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 28 January 2007 - 08:04 PM

Are you still thinking of a 4x4 project, Warren?

#14 User is offline   BOK 

Posted 28 January 2007 - 10:11 PM

Don't forget the additional weight of the transfer box/propshaft and rear diff and the increased loss of power through all that transmission...all setbacks in your quest for speed.

#15 Guest_jacko_*

Posted 28 January 2007 - 10:32 PM

aha! cheers for info on transfer boxes, heard about the coolers bein a gud mod

yep, guessin the ebay £1k specials wont b great but if i have to buy 3x as many spares as need to get a gud one itl be cheaper than goin to quaife!!!

altho best c if quaife do the special dif then........mite not b so cheap!!!!

im on a quest to get a v6 4x4 frp under 1000kg!!!!!!!!!! mite take me til retirement.....!!

also wondered whether an actuator on clutch with a lever on gearstick is doable ( iv got a dodgy knee from running around dressed like a tree carrying a house on its back!!!)

#16 User is offline   warrenpenalver 

Posted 01 February 2007 - 03:41 AM

QUOTE (pumarv6 @ Jan 28 2007, 08:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are you still thinking of a 4x4 project, Warren?

Long term yes. Just a little bit longer term than originally planned pending on if im still employed later this year.................

QUOTE (jacko @ Jan 28 2007, 10:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yep, guessin the ebay £1k specials wont b great but if i have to buy 3x as many spares as need to get a gud one itl be cheaper than goin to quaife!!!

altho best c if quaife do the special dif then........mite not b so cheap!!!!

Depends on the ultimate power you want to do. If you start at say 150bhp and think you want more than 300bhp in a couple of years, you would be better off getting the quaife set up.

Also worth considering is the mitsubishi EVO 4x4 set up. DJ Motorsport have done numerous conversions for rallying and have even done a KA with the setup. I believe an FRP was being done a while ago with Cosworth engine. You can buy the adaptor plates and clutch equipment to bolt the evo gearbox up to the ford engine from DJ themselves. They will match it to a ford diff if you want, but you are better off using the evo rear diff especially if you are building custom rear suspension anyway.

The evo stuff would be a good compromise between the RS2000 and quaife set up.

Now what would be really interesting is if you could get the active yaw package and active diffs off an evo 7/8 and get ecu to work.
Posted Image

#17 User is offline   JamesMalin 

• View gallery

Posted 01 February 2007 - 08:33 AM

I keep the bloody thing the same.

Putting anything over 220bhp thru a front wheel drive car is a little silly imo.
www.oc-motorsport.co.uk

For all Ford Servicing, repairs and conversions. Call or pm me for details. Based in Brentwood, Essex

www.stuffbymonkey.co.uk

Official Member Of The 'BIG HITTERS' Club

#18 Guest_jacko_*

Posted 01 February 2007 - 06:55 PM

iv been told that the repmobile jag (based on mondeo) is v6 & 4wd! bet thats all ford stuff, id like to keep it ford & as much a sleeper as pos - kind of 'what ford should have done' car. but throttle bodies & a sequential shift are tempting

#19 User is offline   warrenpenalver 

Posted 01 February 2007 - 08:24 PM

QUOTE (JamesMalin @ Feb 1 2007, 08:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I keep the bloody thing the same.

Putting anything over 220bhp thru a front wheel drive car is a little silly imo.

Talking about 4wd here.

QUOTE (jacko @ Feb 1 2007, 06:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
iv been told that the repmobile jag (based on mondeo) is v6 & 4wd! bet thats all ford stuff, id like to keep it ford & as much a sleeper as pos - kind of 'what ford should have done' car. but throttle bodies & a sequential shift are tempting

Yes the engine bottom end is ford with Jag developed cylinder heads so the gearbox bolt pattern will be standard. The 4wd was designed especially for the X type by visteon. You would therefore need a donor x type for the complete set up.
Posted Image

#20 Guest_jacko_*

Posted 02 February 2007 - 09:09 AM

cheers warren, sounds like it warrants more investigation...

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic