Pumapeople: Wrong Oil Used By Garage In Service - Pumapeople

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Wrong Oil Used By Garage In Service Is this a major problem?

#1 User is offline   sikora 

• Group: Members

Posted 17 June 2006 - 06:46 PM

Buy the stuff yourself but give them the receipt to get the money off them. Cant see how the garage will argue with an error like that.

#2 User is offline   BenF 

• View gallery

Posted 17 June 2006 - 07:30 PM

QUOTE (sikora @ Jun 17 2006, 07:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Buy the stuff yourself but give them the receipt to get the money off them. Cant see how the garage will argue with an error like that.

I bet they would argue that they would have got it at trade price...

Someone stole my Thunder...

#3 User is offline   sikora 

Posted 17 June 2006 - 08:18 PM

QUOTE (BenF @ Jun 17 2006, 08:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I bet they would argue that they would have got it at trade price...

But if they'd of but the correct oil in the engine in the first place, then they wouldn't be forking out for more oil. I'm sure they'd rather lose a few quid than suffer from a bad reputation.

This post has been edited by sikora: 17 June 2006 - 08:22 PM

#4 User is offline   BenF 

• View gallery

Posted 17 June 2006 - 08:20 PM

QUOTE (sikora @ Jun 17 2006, 09:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But if they'd of but the correct oil in the engine in the first place, then they wouldn't be forking out for more oil.

they have a fair argument that if they are going to correct the error they should not have to pay any more than they need to though

#5 User is offline   sikora 

Posted 17 June 2006 - 08:28 PM

Another worry would be whether they change the oil. Whats to say they do? The 10w 40 will still look fresh. Maybe buying a container of 5w 30 yourself and asking for the leftovers back is the best bet.

#6 User is offline   BenF 

• View gallery

Posted 17 June 2006 - 08:29 PM

QUOTE (sikora @ Jun 17 2006, 09:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Another worry would be whether they change the oil. Whats to say they do? The 10w 40 will still look fresh. Maybe buying a container of 5w 30 yourself and asking for the leftovers back is the best bet.

so they pour some out of the can and give you what is left - you still wouldn't know!

#7 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 17 June 2006 - 08:35 PM

if you were really that worried you would not use the garage in the first place, there has got to be some trust ja_stupid.gif
but I personally would take my own oil in and not expect them to pay purely to go half way to getting the job done.

but I would make a cross on the oil filter with an indelable pen to be able to check that it got changed.
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#8 User is offline   BenF 

• View gallery

Posted 17 June 2006 - 08:37 PM

QUOTE (happy-kat @ Jun 17 2006, 09:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
if you were really that worried you would not use the garage in the first place, there has got to be some trust ja_stupid.gif
but I personally would take my own oil in and not expect them to pay purely to go half way to getting the job done.

but I would make a cross on the oil filter with an indelable pen to be able to check that it got changed.

they do not always change the filter when the oil is changed

tbh if I was going to buy the oil I would probably change it myself too! It is not exactly a difficult job.

#9 User is offline   sikora 

Posted 17 June 2006 - 08:44 PM

QUOTE (BenF @ Jun 17 2006, 09:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
they do not always change the filter when the oil is changed

Filter should always be changed when the oil is. They hold nearly a litre of the used oil, as well as all the crud.

#10 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 17 June 2006 - 08:47 PM

agreed, the filter should always be changed, mine is changed every 6 months.
you need to change garage Ben wink.gif
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#11 User is offline   BenF 

• View gallery

Posted 17 June 2006 - 08:48 PM

QUOTE (sikora @ Jun 17 2006, 09:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Filter should always be changed when the oil is. They hold nearly a litre of the used oil, as well as all the crud.

sometimes peeps do an interim oil change and do not bother changing the filter. I agree with you that they are cheap enough to change every time the oil is changed, though/

#12 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 17 June 2006 - 08:51 PM

I do an interim change and the filter is changed every time. That's 3k miles new oil new filter smile.gif as you say given the cost of a new filter it would seem daff not to change it too.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic