Pumapeople: Split-Kate's Hill-climb - Pumapeople

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Split-Kate's Hill-climb Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   pumarv6 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 20 September 2004 - 08:00 PM

How did your hill climb go Kate? I guess thats you taking part in your new Avatar pic? 8)

#2 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 20 September 2004 - 08:17 PM

How did your hill climb go Kate? I guess thats you taking part in your new Avatar pic? 8)

totally superb :mrgreen: :rock: but I should reply in a new thread....
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#3 User is offline   pumarv6 

Posted 20 September 2004 - 08:40 PM

totally superb :mrgreen: :rock: but I should reply in a new thread....

Okay..spill... :arrow:

#4 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 20 September 2004 - 09:31 PM

not perhaps everyone ball, but I had a go at a Hill Climb. Don't ask about the granite walls :shock:
one of those things... I was watching it last year at home, and thought, right that's it, I am going to do that next year, and nearly taken that long to get ready for it...!
Though it was not a national event date the August one so the Puma 4x4 was not there.....
Would I do it again, definately :mrgreen: I did not find my Kat lacking in enough grunt to enjoy it either which I did have concerns over, but she delivered :mrgreen:
My first run I treated as a sighting run for the 'line' and my time was 55.59 the commentators thought I was having problems wink.gif lol my second run was 47.54 which shut them up wink.gif the next was 46.03 and my last 46.53. If I could have had the last bit of my 3rd run with the first bit of my 4th run I suspect I would have been into 45 seconds.
The top two bends were the hardest, pic of avatar, the first part of the bend was OK but the right was severe and have watched many go sideways over it and on two wheels.. I found it was more about grip, coming out of the left to the right was fine it was on applying more power that the car skipped and weaved, where others were thrown sideways. I just need to practice that more to get the balance right smile.gif
Still well chuffed with my times, my first go biggrin.gif
Top day :mrgreen: and the Kat got a lot of attention, I suppose it is a bit different from the expected cars.
To some perhaps I have devalued my FRP, but I look after it (or rather Alan does) and change the oil every 6 months so I am enjoying her but taking care too.
Need LSD though I think wink.gif
I expect everyone is asleep who got this far down my waffle :? but I still grin over the day biggrin.gif
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#5 User is offline   Robert 

• Group: Members

Posted 20 September 2004 - 09:38 PM

At the end of the day Kate you are only using the FRP for what it was designed for, at least you have got the (erm you no what ) to have a go well done, see you next week biggrin.gif
Now Driving everyone mad.

Present..
Honda 900 Hornet....120bhp...Two wheeled madness and lovin it
Mk2 MX5 1.8is.....150bhp. LSD= Fun.....
Fiesta ST....... 174bhp...A Warm hatch as standard but chuck a couple of £££ at it and its spot on...
Past...
Clio Cup 172...176bhp...Its Fast it handles but falls to bits....
Mk1 MX5 1.8is........130bhp...A Fun car superb handling rubbish in the snow....
2 FRP's............150bhp...A Great car great handling but needed more power....should of kept one...
http://www.pumapeople.com/stuff/1221511209...35_18_45035.jpg

#6 User is offline   his_racing_puma 

Posted 20 September 2004 - 09:40 PM

yep I agree, just wish I had a spare one so that I wouldnt worry about dinging my baby (440) sad.gif then I too could go out and play.
Rob
FRP #440
FRP #445 - ex wife took it :(
oh and a Smart Roadster Coupe Brabus
and a Smart Crossblade - that nuttty thing in the middle of the picture

#7 User is offline   Jessie 

Posted 20 September 2004 - 09:44 PM

yep I agree, just wish I had a spare one so that I wouldnt worry about dinging my baby (440) sad.gif  then I too could go out and play.

Do it in the smart then 10.gif
Atheism is a non-prophet organisation

#8 User is offline   CLIVE 

Posted 21 September 2004 - 06:00 AM

where did you go for this hill climb then Kate......... :?:
well done on doing it an having a go :rock:
what other motors were there
what was the motor with the quickest time
and how fast ja_stupid.gif :shock:
HAVE IT.........HAVE SOME

SCOOBY DOO...................he he he

#9 User is offline   lisafrp 

Posted 21 September 2004 - 12:20 PM

Well done Kate, another nutter joined the motoracing world!! wink.gif

As Kate says its not damaging on the car, as long as you look after it. I have been sprinting (Hillclimbs on the flat!) mine for 3 years now and its still fine.

Get out there and use it what it was meant for, not much fun in the garage.

Hopefully Kate will be along to join us on some sprints next year, would be good to see more FRP's out there doing cheap motorsport.

cool2.gif
Lisa
Racing Puma Owners Club
www.rpoc.co.uk

#10 User is offline   Lantik 

Posted 21 September 2004 - 01:23 PM

Well done Kate, another nutter joined the motoracing world!! wink.gif

As Kate says its not damaging on the car, as long as you look after it. I have been sprinting (Hillclimbs on the flat!) mine for 3 years now and its still fine.

Get out there and use it what it was meant for, not much fun in the garage.

Hopefully Kate will be along to join us on some sprints next year, would be good to see more FRP's out there doing cheap motorsport.

cool2.gif

Couldn't agree more with Kate and Lisa... I've just got back from the Nurburgring where the most exotic cars on the face of the planet were hooning round... none of this posing rubbish... Nice one Kate smile.gif
Stephen
DRIVE SAFE

#11 User is offline   Turby 

• View gallery

Posted 21 September 2004 - 01:31 PM

Kate... you can see why we use a data logger... helps to tell you exactly where you are gaining or loosing time over different parts of the course on different runs smile.gif

pm me for more details
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope - 1709)
Stop being spoon fed and GOOGLE it!

#12 User is offline   miketheman2k 

Posted 21 September 2004 - 01:48 PM

Sounds like great fun. How did you go about organising this? Do you need a race license? Where can we find out about getting into this?

(bet Alan is rubbing his hands with the thought of more people burning clutches and warping wheels :wink: :twisted: )

#13 User is offline   Turby 

• View gallery

Posted 21 September 2004 - 01:58 PM

http://www.bighairy.demon.co.uk/Sprinting/

http://www.pistonheads.com/doc.asp?c=129&i=7630

from google... "sprinting motorsport" smile.gif

#14 User is offline   Lady Blue 

Posted 21 September 2004 - 02:40 PM

cool2.gif Good on you Kate - I would love to take part in one of these but am worried that I would damage "her Ladyship" - it would be great to have a Pumapeeps Girlie Team!!

Do they have a special section for novices? :help:
Chrissie & "Lady Blue"

#15 User is offline   lisafrp 

Posted 21 September 2004 - 03:32 PM

If you want to come along to watch a sprint to find out the deal then myself and Turby should have a run at the Castle Combe sprint on 16th October. As far as I know its open to the public, you can come along and have a nose around the pits, and also watch what goes on.

We can tell you most things about it on the day if the links above don't help. There is also a section on hillclimbs in this months EVO magazine, basically the same as a sprint.

HTH
Lisa
Racing Puma Owners Club
www.rpoc.co.uk

#16 User is offline   David 

Posted 21 September 2004 - 03:34 PM

Does sound pretty cool, but I wouldn't want to knacker up my car. Would do it in someone else's! laugh.gif
What do you prefer - hillclimb's / sprints or track days?
David - Clio Trophy now sold! Megane R26 on the way - ETA March 1st 2008.
Ex-FRS #2787 - Ex-FRP #383

#17 User is offline   Turby 

• View gallery

Posted 21 September 2004 - 03:51 PM

Some sprints are held on open airfields, these are ideal for using your standard car as there is nothing to hit if you spin off smile.gif

You are far more likely to knacker your car on a test day as you are subjecting the tyres / brakes to 10 minutes plus of abuse rather than the minute or two on a sprint or hillclimb.

#18 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 21 September 2004 - 09:10 PM

thank you for comments smile.gif
which do I prefer...
Having only done the one Hill Climb, got to say the buzz and competitive emotions were far stronger for the Hill Climb. Perhaps because it is timed where as on the track it is just about you, your car and the track. Though with out my track time I would not have had the experience to feel confident to enter the Hill Climb. The one does not replace the other for me, I intend to do more track time with the odd motorsport event dropped in.
Was it scary, not whilst doing it, I felt totally commited to the event and not nervous at all, it was not till afterwards and on reflection that I thought about the granite walls :shock: I did have some trepidation about the walls and the top corner took one write off that day, but nothing ventured nothing experienced.
Here is a roughly put together giff of the corners. The course is 777. sommit metres long.

Data logger, cool idea, but extra weight wink.gif I think on my list next would be an LSD and a rear roll cage....

All though it was my first event and I went on my own so to speak, everyone was very friendly and helpful, and a thank you to help too from Toby and Lisa before hand with answering my questions smile.gif and for providing my one panic.. lol.. I had forgotten to make a beam breaker.. lol a bit of wood cabled tied to my towing eye did the trick wink.gif

#19 Guest_mjh24_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 22 September 2004 - 12:40 AM

Does sound pretty cool, but I wouldn't want to knacker up my car. Would do it in someone else's! laugh.gif
What do you prefer - hillclimb's / sprints or track days?

I would prefer street racing :wink:

#20 User is offline   CLIVE 

Posted 23 September 2004 - 05:36 AM

great pics Kate :rock:
HAVE IT.........HAVE SOME

SCOOBY DOO...................he he he

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic