• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Track Day Tips Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Duke 

• Group: Members

Posted 12 September 2006 - 07:08 AM

QUOTE (pumarv6 @ Sep 11 2006, 07:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If I'm not busy I'll try to pop in and take some pix for you from trackside smile.gif

I just looked at some of your photos... WOW! cool.gif That would be brill smile.gif

QUOTE (David @ Sep 11 2006, 08:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Most organisers will let you film from inside the car as long as the camera is mounted safely (i.e. no holding one as you drive round lol). Some will have a marshal check it and then give it the okay.

Yeah I thought this would be the case. I'm going to sort out a mounting kit if I can find one.

This post has been edited by Duke: 12 September 2006 - 07:09 AM

#2 User is offline   Turby 

• View gallery
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 12 September 2006 - 12:36 PM

If at all possible, get an instructor to take you around the circuit. You will learn far more than simply wizzing around yourself.

This post has been edited by Turby: 12 September 2006 - 12:36 PM

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope - 1709)
Stop being spoon fed and GOOGLE it!

#3 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 12 September 2006 - 05:51 PM

QUOTE (Duke @ Sep 12 2006, 08:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah I thought this would be the case. I'm going to sort out a mounting kit if I can find one.

but it is not certain and if you can't use it you will have to store it somewhere when out on track if you have no one with you to take your stuff off you.
smile.gif
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#4 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 22 September 2006 - 08:31 PM

when you get your mount spend time working out where you want it mounted and then once decided mark the quads with some insulating tape so that you can quickly reposition it on the day. But don't stick it over the insulating tape as it is enough to affect the suction mount.

I drove mine around locally once mounted to check I had good vision and there were no blind spots and set up the video zoom to be the right level to avoid the dash etc.
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#5 User is offline   Duke 

Posted 27 September 2006 - 08:29 PM

Got the camera setup and tested, came out v.well. I went for the same mount as mentioned above - thanks for the recommendation smile.gif

Can't wait till Friday!! Anyone else going? (Castle Combe)

#6 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 27 September 2006 - 08:31 PM

ja_cool.gif
excellent choice smile.gif

no, but have a fab day biggrin.gif

#7 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 04 October 2006 - 04:48 PM

I know the day was wet blink.gif but how did it go? smile.gif

#8 User is offline   charri421 

Posted 04 October 2006 - 05:52 PM

Hi Duke,

I'll be very interested to find out your thoughts as I want to take my Puma on track. I'm VERY worried that I will fry my brakes within 3 corners when I start pressing on, hence have a miserable dau (standard 1.7 2001). They were 'schmoking' and fading today just after a 3 miles A road blast where I was only braking from 70-30 for hairpins (I was standing on 'em mind....)

Chris

This post has been edited by charri421: 04 October 2006 - 05:53 PM

#9 User is offline   Digital 

Posted 04 October 2006 - 08:09 PM

From my experience of trackdays you'd be well advised to uprate the brake pads at least, and probably also the fluid - especially if its not been changed for a while. Normal road standard brakes simply aren't up to trackwork in most cases, and you might find it will severely hamper your enjoyment - it's a horrible feeling when your brakes are starting to fade...

If you get the chance, try and get some passenger laps with someone who's done a few trackdays, they should be able to give you some advice regarding the line, braking/turn-in points etc. Instruction is also well worth it - I was amazed how much difference it made when I finally got round to getting some.

Most importantly, enjoy the occasion, but be warned, it can be an expensive hobby biggrin.gif

Jamie
1998 Jewel Green Ford Puma 1.7
2005 Chrome Orange Lotus Exige S2

#10 User is offline   charri421 

Posted 04 October 2006 - 08:22 PM

QUOTE (Digital @ Oct 4 2006, 09:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
From my experience of trackdays you'd be well advised to uprate the brake pads at least, and probably also the fluid - especially if its not been changed for a while. Normal road standard brakes simply aren't up to trackwork in most cases, and you might find it will severely hamper your enjoyment - it's a horrible feeling when your brakes are starting to fade...

If you get the chance, try and get some passenger laps with someone who's done a few trackdays, they should be able to give you some advice regarding the line, braking/turn-in points etc. Instruction is also well worth it - I was amazed how much difference it made when I finally got round to getting some.

Most importantly, enjoy the occasion, but be warned, it can be an expensive hobby biggrin.gif

Jamie

Cheers Jamie,
I've done a few in more performance orientated cars (using standard brakes) and just about managed - depending on the track. But the Puma brakes are average at best on the road, so agree about them totally ruining a track day - fade is not fun. I remember when I had my first Puma in 99 the brakes used to overheat on A and B roads - it well and truly happened today, they were smoking!

I'll do a search on here for advice, but will try some new pads first (fluid just changed), then go for upgraded fluid, braided hoses and finally discs. BTW, the whole current set up is OE Ford and less than 3000 miles old.

Chris

#11 User is offline   Digital 

Posted 04 October 2006 - 08:32 PM

Slightly off topic, but are the standard Puma brakes that bad? I've yet to drive one blush.gif but am hoping to get one in the near future. I wouldn't imagine uprated pads would be especially expensive for a Puma?

Cheers,
Jamie
1998 Jewel Green Ford Puma 1.7
2005 Chrome Orange Lotus Exige S2

#12 User is offline   charri421 

Posted 04 October 2006 - 08:40 PM

QUOTE (Digital @ Oct 4 2006, 09:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Slightly off topic, but are the standard Puma brakes that bad? I've yet to drive one blush.gif but am hoping to get one in the near future. I wouldn't imagine uprated pads would be especially expensive for a Puma?

Cheers,
Jamie

In my experience they have always been distinctly average. Or put another way, aren't they standard Fiesta items?
Adequate for most road driving for most people, but they overheat / fade very soon. I've found this on the brand new Puma I owned in 99 and the 01 I've just bought that has just had new disks and pads (although I think the brakes were upgraded slightly in the cost saving update of 01MY cars)

Can someone confirm that the brakes were improved at the same time as the wheels changed and the interior tweaked?

This post has been edited by charri421: 04 October 2006 - 08:41 PM

#13 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 05 October 2006 - 09:09 AM

no not always exactly at the same time, if it is that important take a tape measure with you when looking at a Puma to buy to measure the front disks.

#14 User is offline   Big Boy Al 

• View gallery

Posted 05 October 2006 - 04:49 PM

im guessing it didnt go too well kate.

written by duke yesterday on another thread.

" slight delay with running on the rolling road.. i had a slight off road excursion on the track day.."

" umm rain + first time on track + missed braking point = [hit tyre wall side on]

Basically need few front wing, door, rear wing, front + rear lights... nightmare "

not good sad.gif .
Posted Image
FRP 241 RINGMEISTER -23 LAPS = 296.7 MILES COMPLETED, MORE TO COME NEXT YEAR

#15 User is offline   charri421 

Posted 05 October 2006 - 06:25 PM

QUOTE (Big Boy Al @ Oct 5 2006, 05:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
im guessing it didnt go too well kate.

written by duke yesterday on another thread.

" slight delay with running on the rolling road.. i had a slight off road excursion on the track day.."

" umm rain + first time on track + missed braking point = [hit tyre wall side on]

Basically need few front wing, door, rear wing, front + rear lights... nightmare "

not good sad.gif .

Oh dear Duke, hope its not going to be too ?????

It'll be those pants 1.7 brakes...

Hope it didn't happen too early in the day and your wallet survives.

Chris

#16 User is offline   Big Boy Al 

• View gallery

Posted 05 October 2006 - 06:31 PM

or maybe not driving to the wet conditions.

tarmac is so slippy in the rain sometimes, doesnt matter how good your brakes are if your going to fast youve not got much chance sad.gif

sounds like duke damaged quite a bit sad.gif
Posted Image
FRP 241 RINGMEISTER -23 LAPS = 296.7 MILES COMPLETED, MORE TO COME NEXT YEAR

#17 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 05 October 2006 - 09:30 PM

sad sad.gif
hope Duke though is OK

QUOTE (charri421 @ Oct 5 2006, 07:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It'll be those pants 1.7 brakes...

as a side comment driving fast is not about squirting and stamping on brakes and squirting again. It's about smooth driving and anticipating where to brake and keeping the car balanced as far as I know.

#18 User is offline   charri421 

Posted 05 October 2006 - 09:50 PM

QUOTE (happy-kat @ Oct 5 2006, 10:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
sad sad.gif
hope Duke though is OK
as a side comment driving fast is not about squirting and stamping on brakes and squirting again. It's about smooth driving and anticipating where to brake and keeping the car balanced as far as I know.

To clarify, the brakes comment was a little tongue in cheek as I had been mentioning them earlier in the thread. I'm not suggesting thats a reason for going off! but when the brakes seem to fade as quickly as the standard 1.7's do from repeated heavy use, it makes guessing the next braking distance pretty interesting to say the least!

PS - agree with above (I always enjoyed trackdays with an academy spec Caterham as it thrived on maintaining speed through the corners as opposed to point and squirt) but its horrid when the brakes are gone, especially on a track with significant high speed braking areas. (even when its damp)

Chris

This post has been edited by charri421: 05 October 2006 - 09:51 PM

#19 User is offline   David 

Posted 06 October 2006 - 03:48 PM

QUOTE (happy-kat @ Oct 5 2006, 10:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
sad sad.gif
hope Duke though is OK

This is true, although judging braking points becomes very difficult when the brakes are inconsistent... blink.gif
David - Clio Trophy now sold! Megane R26 on the way - ETA March 1st 2008.
Ex-FRS #2787 - Ex-FRP #383

#20 User is offline   Duke 

Posted 06 October 2006 - 08:07 PM

Hi guys,

Yeah it was a complete nightmare and I'm still feeling like a complete tool.

Basically.. it was wet all day. Infact they stopped people on going by 2-3pm as it was just belting down.
Anyway I went out late into my group on track (registration took ages).. they let me on half way so I could still get some track time. Was going OK and two Evo's (a group of lads who were blatently racing each other all day) came up behind me. Being new on track I was concentrating on keeping out their way, as I was told to in briefing etc and completely missed my braking point into Tower corner. I lost control sideways and hit the tyre wall side on at about 30-40mph. I was in shock for a few minutes until the safety car and tow truck came around to check I was okay. They red flagged the session so I could limp it back to the pits.
I felt like a complete tool for it... I can't put it into words. I've spent so much on the puma.. respraying panels, alloys, lowering springs, ICE, etc and never crashed or near crashed my fiesta (first car) or puma in my 5 years driving and I do this on my first lap...
After a few words from other very supporting people, I had some help taping up the front wing and decided to get back on track. I took it very slow and let the group by to build up my confidence. After a few laps I really got back into it and had an awesome few sessions. I'm glad I went back out and had a laugh.. if I went back after going out and doing that I think I would have felt a lot worse.

There was another puma owner there, sorry I didn't get your name. She was driving a silver 1.7 with a blue strip down it.

I've had one quote for ?2000 + VAT and have taken it to a smaller dealer for another quote. The car isn't worth repairing for that sort of money, and I'm no mechanic so can't spend the time sourcing parts etc.

This post has been edited by Duke: 28 January 2007 - 03:02 PM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic