• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

24V V6 Cosworth Puma Project Rate Topic: ***** 5 Votes

#821 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:18 PM

An incredible update.
The car and time sound awsome.
The log cabin views, what can I say double awsome.
I bet you bought shares in your fave coffee tipple.
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#822 User is offline   Dogsbody 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:29 PM

Coffee and Cigars ;)
MK4 XR3i
Mk3 XR3i
R Reg 1.7 Puma
T Reg 1.7 Lux Puma
Now its Racing Puma 072

Graham

Posted Image

#823 User is offline   Dave2302 

• Group: Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:56 AM

Yeah, still on the Hamlets LOL.

Nice to hear from you guys, in the next few days I'll be taking pix of all the work done on the car inbetween the Log Cabin building works so I'll get them up ;)

Cheers Dave
It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice !!

#824 User is offline   Dogsbody 

Posted 17 October 2013 - 01:16 PM

I was chatting to my Dad last night ,who lives in CoDurham.
One of his neighbours was telling him about someone he knows in Scotland who as fitted a big V6 into a Puma and goes rallying with it ;)

I wonder :unsure:
Any friends in Mickleton, near Barnards Castle ?
MK4 XR3i
Mk3 XR3i
R Reg 1.7 Puma
T Reg 1.7 Lux Puma
Now its Racing Puma 072

Graham

Posted Image

#825 User is offline   Dave2302 

Posted 19 October 2013 - 08:42 PM

Yeah, that'll be my Puma lol, mine is the only one with a V6 that MSA have Logbooked so far ;)

He's probably a friend of a friend, rally circle is very friendly up here and all speak to each other, also I know some guys with property in that area.
Alternately he may know me as I do a lot of DJ'ing and often show footage of the car / Scottish Rallies on the big screen, he may have been up here and seen my roadshow.

Been offline for a few days, bloody computer had a major fit, I have had to fit a new hard drive, new windows install and am currently loading up all my programs and favourite sites etc.

I have luckily managed to get all my pictures off the old hard disk, and all my EECV fuel injection hacking and bin files for the Cossie V6, but that took 18 hours to copy it all, cos the drive was so infected it was running at virtually standstill :(

Still got a lot of stuff to get off it later, once I get this (my main), Laptop up and running properly again.............Nightmare !!

Cheers Dave

#826 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 19 October 2013 - 09:20 PM

External backup disk on next shoping list :-) crappy job repair and rebuild.
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#827 User is offline   Dave2302 

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:09 PM

Silly thing is I have 2 External HD's but because I've been so busy I haven't updated the backup for over a year LOL.......................

Anyway, long story short, I've sorted the lappy now, finished it yesterday, only to be presented today with a Brand Spanking new all singing and dancing Dell from my In-Laws as a thank you present for all my work moving them up here and building their new home !!

Just one problem...................It's Windows 8 so I'm completely baffled atm, as all my other pooters were XP !!

Still something new to learn now :derr:/>

Cheers Dave

This post has been edited by Dave2302: 21 October 2013 - 10:11 PM

#828 User is offline   Dave2302 

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:09 PM

OOPS, double post, Windows 8 went beserk LOL

This post has been edited by Dave2302: 21 October 2013 - 10:11 PM

#829 User is offline   Perfect Dark 

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:15 AM

They should have just stopped at XP really.
Posted Image

#830 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:06 PM

nice thank you, useable rather than a garden statue :)

#831 User is offline   Dave2302 

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:55 AM

Well, at long last here's the update I promised back in October, I just don't know where the time goes !!

Hope you Enjoy.................

12 15" steel wheels painted and shod wth 2 sets of gravel and one set of Mud and Snow Tyres, to go with the 3 sets of 16" Alloys shod with various Tarmac Tyres :-

Posted Image

First Gravel outing at Kyleakin Quarry last summer:-

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I was that happy because the car performed faultlessly all day, so I treated it to this, as the old MOMO rescued earlier on in this project was looking a bit tatty :-

Posted Image

Handheld Extinguisher now fitted between seats:-

Posted Image

Full set of Silicone Coolant hoses now installed:-

Posted Image

Modified Fuel Rail and Adjustable Fuel Pressure Reg fitted, has improved fuelling no end :-

Posted Image

Breather Catch Tank fitted:-

Posted Image

Doorcards made from thin ply and Vinyl C/F lookalike tidy up the interior no end, Johnny Goof note the Pencil Sharpener on Velcro LOL :-

Posted Image

Is this a bra belonging to "Sweaty Betty" ?? No, actually a Helmet Hammock, so you have somewhere to put your Helmet between Stages................Or is that what Sweaty Betty is for LOL :-

Posted Image

Washer Bottle relocated in Boot, as the Gravel Tyres would have fouled the standard one under the inner wing :-

Posted Image

Bonnet Vents added right above the Exhaust Manifolds, this keeps under bonnet temperatures right down as since the Sump Guard was fitted the fans would run all the time when Idling on a hot day, now they just cut in and out for a couple of minutes a time :-

Posted Image

10mm thick Dural Sumpguard, mounted on steel subframes with Csk Stainless M12 Bolts, nothing to catch on Rocks :-

Posted Image

Goes right back to cover Transmission :-

Posted Image

8mm Dural Fuel Tank and Diff Guard, mounted same as Sumpguard :-

Posted Image

Underside looking filthy now ;)/>/> Compression Struts now fitted instead of Antirollbar, this gives a huge improvement in traction on the loose :-

Posted Image

Nice big Ally Radiator keeps cooling system at a rock steady 82 C even on hot summer days :-

Posted Image

Latest incarnation of Gear Lever, much better.............Also note the latest silly MSA Rule, cars must carry a belt cutter where Driver and Nav can easily reach it................As if the belt buckles will fail to release now we have to change the Harnesses every 5 years LOL :-

Posted Image

Wheelarch Liners now finished to stop gravel and water spraying into the engine bay :-

Posted Image

Car is up for this years MOT next week.
First event is March 29th Mull Gravel Sprint, there is a series of 4 this year which form an inter club Championship so I'll be doing these and any other Local Events.

I spent 6 months of "spare" time hacking the Cosworth EECV ECU and developing a Definition file so I can now remap all the important settings, some 150 different PID's.
I'm still fiddling, but the car is absolutely flying now...............Its torque curve is just flat from 1500 up to 7000 rpm, over 350Nm in the mid range, it's a proper beast to drive now :)/>/> :)/>/>

I Will keep the the updates coming as and when,

Cheers For Now,
Dave

This post has been edited by Dave2302: 22 February 2014 - 12:06 PM

#832 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:26 PM

What summer day did I miss ;-)
Sounds like a propper performing beast all credit to your work.
A belt cutter, and change every 5 years does read like very ott.
Got any in car video?
March ooo real soon :-)

#833 User is offline   Kizza 

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:31 PM

i love this car Posted Image off the back of your thread im going to build a v6 twin turbo pumba (at some point that isPosted Image )

#834 User is offline   Dogsbody 

Posted 22 February 2014 - 05:04 PM

Great to hear from you Dave, nice update, love the car.
Like Kate said, any in car with sound?

:beer:/>
MK4 XR3i
Mk3 XR3i
R Reg 1.7 Puma
T Reg 1.7 Lux Puma
Now its Racing Puma 072

Graham

Posted Image

#835 User is offline   Dave2302 

Posted 23 February 2014 - 10:19 AM

Hi Guys,

Nice to hear from you.

No In Car yet, fortune is going out the door atm just to get to Mull..................

Registration fee for event series, Entry fee, Ferrys, B&B, MOT and Windscreen plus Road Tax for Puma, then Petrol for event (at around 1litre per stage mile), and lastly Diesel to get there LOL

Hopefully more work will come in soon, as it'd be nice to get a Go Pro installed before 29th March ;)

Cheers

Dave

#836 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 23 February 2014 - 01:46 PM

And for in servicing the master craft ;-) , busy for sure, best way to be

#837 User is offline   Dave2302 

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:22 AM

Yeah, the Mastercraft is on the to do list, needs a few quid spent this year as Alternator and a few other electrical bits need doing too :(

Cheers Dave

#838 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:35 PM

Classy competent boat though worth keeping serviceable as I can't even guess how expensive a new one must be now as last time I looked was in the 90s!

#839 User is offline   Xenocide 

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:15 PM

Just read the whole thread. What an amazing read. Thanks for posting it all Dave.

Looks an utter utter beast.

The crash improved the paint job then? What a disappointment that was :(.

Please keep us updated, amazing build :).

Thanks again.

#840 User is offline   Dave2302 

Posted 16 March 2016 - 06:38 PM

Just a little update, Only managed to use the car a few times in the last 2 years due to life in general simply getting in the way of going rallying. I'm just too busy with other stuff !!

The car is up for sale, with a ton of spares, also including Road wheels and tyres, Gravel wheels and tyres, (few sets,plus more spare Gravel tyres, and a set of M+S wheels and tyres. looking for £12,000, may negotiate a little if all the spares etc are not required as I can sell them off separately.

The car does need a little work, mainly cosmetic, small dents in roof require filling and painting, (from when the bonnet flipped up), but windscreen and bonnet have been replaced.
There is also a small amount of cracking on the gel coat on O/S/F wing / bumper joint, (small repair), and as the paint job was never any good it would definitely benefit from a new paint job.
It will pass an MOT no problem, and if required I'll get it MOT'd once a substantial deposit is received, car is all up and running is being given a little run at least every fortnight as I do with all my vehicles.

I'm looking for a fairly quick sale in order to raise some cash to buy a late low mileage Mercedes SL55 AMG, something stupidly quick that I can drive anywhere, whenever I like Posted Image

Hence the price it's offered at, a real bargain for the right person / enthusiast.
If it doesn't sell then I'll just mothball it for a year or 2, and finish all the jobs off when time permits Posted Image

Serious enquiries only please, remember, it's not like a road car to drive, it's a noisey, rattly (rose joints), bonkers competition / track day type car !!

07767025065 If you don't get through, send a txt with number and I'll ring back, I don't always get answerphone messages and don't have a land line at my workshop.

Cheers Dave

This post has been edited by Dave2302: 16 March 2016 - 06:53 PM

Share this topic:

• 43 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic