Pumapeople: Ok boys and girls! How big before serious mods are required? - Pumapeople

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ok boys and girls! How big before serious mods are required?

#1 User is offline   adamski 

• Group: Members

Posted 11 February 2003 - 01:21 PM

I have just bought my 1.7 puma and LOVE it !!

What size wheel/tyre combo can I get away with but not have to modify the bodywork?

It is only spoiled by the huge airgap around the tyres!

#2 User is offline   Turby 

• View gallery
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 11 February 2003 - 01:25 PM

Just lower your car using lowering springs. Standard size wheels / tyres are more than adequate for the standard car - big wheels are basically just for posing - your fron discs will look stupid, your drums will look even more stupid and the extra weight will not help in the handling department. Also too much rubber is great until the tyre decides to "let go".. by then its too late.. especially if its wet (the pressure on the contact patch per sq cm is reduced the larger the tyre)

#3 User is offline   adamski 

Posted 11 February 2003 - 04:46 PM

Agreed, so go with a disc upgrade front and rear too?

#4 User is offline   Turby 

• View gallery
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 12 February 2003 - 08:34 AM

A decent front brake upgrade to fill even 17" wheels will cost a minimum of £300 - nearer £6-700 if you are looking at alloy 4-pot callipers, if you want discs on the back then add another approx £450 to swap over from the current drum set-up.

Rear discs are purely a cosmetic feature, as only apporx 15% of braking is done by the back and even this to the back force is regulated by EBD (Electronic Brakeforce Distribution) to stop you looking up and going into a spin.

Assuming your new set of 17"s will set you back around £500, a total price of £1500 to fill the arches is a tad excessive when you can lower it for around £150...

#5 User is offline   BOK 

Posted 25 February 2003 - 01:42 PM

AFAIK the biggest I have seen is 18" rims using 205 width tyres- some mods require to the inner front arch material though. But I agree with Toby- if you want it to look better without completely making the car undrivable every day, lower it and preferably fit uprated dampers.[/img]

#6 User is offline   beckford 

Posted 07 March 2003 - 06:10 PM

Ive got 17,s on myne with 205/40/17 tyres, no worries. had it lowerd 40mm , shocks and springs. ok it slows u down a tad but dosnt reck ur handerling if enything it improves it im stuck to the floor as with the standards id slide when cornering. it cost me a lot to do but where my cars concernd moneys no obligation! :wink:

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic