Pumapeople: Here Because Of My Girlfriend... - Pumapeople

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Here Because Of My Girlfriend... Trying to sort a niggling brake problem... Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Mr Lucky 

• Group: Members

Posted 08 May 2008 - 09:49 AM

Hello all.

I'm here because my girlfriend is a huge Puma fan. Here first 1.7 was a silver banana shaped one (big write-off) that was basically a rolling deathtrap. She always wanted a Puma so when her punto died she just went straight out and bought the first Puma she saw.

We very quickly got rid of it to a garage who furnished her with the Puma she has now, a 1.7 metallic green one.

She loves it.

Personally I think it is like driving a letterbox, zero visability for me (I'm 6ft 3 and my head scrapes the roof lining) and it handles like a roller skate on speed. No matter how hard you try to drive slow that 1.7 seems to persuade you to get your right foot down. I am used to a more, shall we say, sedate form of travel courtesy of my SAAB 9-5. But the car definately has character and charm and has proved reliable (up until now).

Anyway, I am here to do a little problem solving so I will beetle off to the relevant forum and ask the relevant questions. I found this place on Google and it seems to be the place to be for any Puma fan.

Nice to be here...

#2 Guest_Tiggr_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 08 May 2008 - 10:00 AM

Welcome aboard.

Yip, the Puma has that problem, takes a lot of will power to keep your foot from trying to press the loud pedal through the floor, esp in 3rd wink.gif

#3 User is offline   tom192 

Posted 08 May 2008 - 10:06 AM

QUOTE (Mr Lucky @ May 8 2008, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Personally I think it is like driving a letterbox, zero visability for me

The puma was designed to give the feeling of wearing a crash helmet to make you feel more involved.

"Clements wanted to make the driving experience feel a bit like wearing a crash helmet. The letterbox rear window already provided the right level of lighting.."

Ford Motor company, 2002. Puma, the inside story. Buttler & Tanner.

This post has been edited by tom192: 08 May 2008 - 10:12 AM

#4 User is offline   Guy Incognito 

Posted 08 May 2008 - 10:16 AM

I am used to a more, shall we say, sedate form of travel courtesy of my SAAB 9-5.

Would you be a dentist then? wink.gif

Welcome to the site! biggrin.gif

What is the problem then with the new Puma?

#5 User is offline   Mr Lucky 

Posted 08 May 2008 - 01:06 PM

Thanks for the welcome everyone. I must say I am stunned by the different types of Puma. I thought there was just a 1.4 and a 1.7!

The crash helmet thing I can see. we often both joked about how the car was like putting on a crash helmet. As bikers our selves (she with a GSXR600 and me with a recently sold Hayabusa and still with a DRZ 400) we always thought it felt like a big Arai!

The car has got the abs light coming on intermitently and there is a loud buzzing noise from the passenger side of the bulkhead which i put down to a confused abs module. the brake pedal bumps up and down beneath my foot. I reckon a dodgy sensor somewhere.

Despite my reservations about driving the little Puma I am in it as we speak as my SAAB is having some serious engine work/mods done. The Puma is a happy little thing but the one pet hate i have about my girlfriend's pet is that when i am driving it men pull alongside on dualcarriageways and motorways and look in to see what the woman who is driving it looks like. I know they do this because when I drive my SAAB and pass Pumas do it! When I am at the wheel of 'Bippy' men check me out and whedn they see me driving i can almost hear their thoughts. "Urrgh! Its a bloke! he must be gay".

Really bugs me...

#6 Guest_Tiggr_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 08 May 2008 - 01:27 PM

Puma - one of the best kept automotive secrets. Not til you actually drive one you really understand what they are about.

I've you havent seen it already,

Top Gear car of the year, 1997 smile.gif

#7 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 08 May 2008 - 05:28 PM

welcome biggrin.gif
one to check the paper work for, has the cam belt been changed?
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#8 User is offline   Sw33t 

Posted 08 May 2008 - 07:02 PM

That clip never gets old biggrin.gif

#9 User is offline   pumapilot 

• View gallery

Posted 08 May 2008 - 07:20 PM

QUOTE (Mr Lucky @ May 8 2008, 10:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
it handles like a roller skate on speed.

Welcome to Pumapeople - now you know why were also called the big grin club biggrin.gif

As for other drivers looking at you, they're jealous because they wont keep up with you on the twisties - whatever they drive.

Posted Image
Signature block created by Colin Y (BOK) & here as my tribute to him
Print your own Pumapeople fliers by clicking here
PUMA GARAGE LIST LINK
Tremona Garage

#10 User is offline   Pearson 

Posted 08 May 2008 - 07:42 PM

QUOTE (Sw33t @ May 8 2008, 08:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That clip never gets old biggrin.gif

.... and I was thinking the exact opposite!

Jon
Update (Sept 08): Puma gone after 5 years, now have VW 170 Tiguan TDI Sport and now have my weekends back rather than fixing the rust, HCV's, filling it up every 250 miles and worrying about the next timing belt change

#11 User is offline   Midnight Blue 

• View gallery

Posted 08 May 2008 - 09:10 PM

QUOTE (Mr Lucky @ May 8 2008, 02:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Its a bloke! he must be gay".

There are a lot of gay Puma drivers then!! laugh.gif

Welcome to PP.
Posted Image

I stole BenF's Thunder ...

Pat

#12 User is offline   angelbabes34 

Posted 08 May 2008 - 09:14 PM

welcome to pp

The grins go on for miles biggrin.gif
Attended so far...5th August ford fair 2007...12th August 4 counties meet
8th September Vickydinks birthday meet...29th September Dambusters meet,Sheffield...Puma and Tigra
meet at Gaydon...January 2008....NE meet...23rd February..The dales are alive with the sound of pumas,Dales meet....15th March.....this is the story so far............!!!more to come,woooo hoooo! :-)

Life can only be understood
backwards,but it
has to be lived,forwards!!!

#13 User is offline   Mr Lucky 

Posted 08 May 2008 - 09:31 PM

I havent even given a thought to the cam belt. maybe i should get it changed for her. Are there any other faults we need to be aware of?apart from the parcel shelf continuously falling off that is. and her remote keyfob broke...

#14 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 08 May 2008 - 09:38 PM

cam belt for the 1.7 is 5 years or 80k miles, which ever occurs first (well late is not changed). other bits should be changed too at the same time, approx £275 or so depending on who you use.
bushes if they are the orginal as they may be tired now
good set of quality tyres
need two keys that open and start the car to program a further new key yourself
parcel shelf can be fixed, a quick method is wrap a rubber band around each grommit shaft
smile.gif

searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#15 User is offline   tom192 

Posted 08 May 2008 - 09:38 PM

GIVE THE CAMBELT A THOUGHT!!!!!

we had one snap last week and a new engine is serious money!

Other puma quirks:
Your knob will be rather hot if its sunny again tomorrow

Boot fills with water if you open it too fast when its been raining and the cars still wet

Car may not start after the engines been run for a very short period of time. (Hot start in owners manual) - Press the accelerator when you start and it will fire first time.

#16 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 08 May 2008 - 09:41 PM

Ford revised the interval, cut it in half

#17 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 08 May 2008 - 09:50 PM

ooh forgot the most important thing

check the oil level regularily smile.gif

(the 1.7 engine bites hard if left to run too low, it's a low pressure warning light not low oil)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic