Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Car Opening By "itself"

#1 User is offline   Scottland 

• Group: Members

Posted 07 December 2006 - 11:22 AM

Hi,

I've got a little issue with my Puma. Basically, whenever I park it at home it opens itself up after xx amount of hours. e.g. overnight.

Given that it only does it when I'm at home, I'm thinking that it's somebody else's RCL fob unlocking it for me, add also the fact that from time to time the boot is also open(!) I'm pretty sure this is what it is.

My RCL hasn't worked since I changed the battery in it, and I haven't been able to re-programme it (I don't really fancy paying Ford a wad to reprogramme it, if I can help it).

If I did get the RCL reprogrammed, is this likely to stop the other persons key opening my car?

Thankfully, I live in a relatively quiet cul-de-sac, but given xmas is around the corner, there will be lots of thieves about round here, and also the high wind is actually opening my boot fully too ohmy.gif

Any thoughts? Anyone else experienced this?

Thanks

This post has been edited by Scottland: 07 December 2006 - 11:23 AM

#2 User is offline   Jessie 

Posted 07 December 2006 - 11:28 AM

Nope as ford will only program the key to the car same as you are trying to. I had to buy a New RCL key this week as mine had died.

IIRC ford can change the codes such as when you get your keys stolen and you need the whole lot redoing but this is not cheap IIRC
Atheism is a non-prophet organisation

#3 User is offline   Scottland 

Posted 07 December 2006 - 11:47 AM

I've only started noticing the problem since my key stopped working though, I was hoping it might go away if I got it reprogrammed smile.gif

How much to Ford charge to reprogramme a key?

#4 User is offline   angelxxx 

• View gallery

Posted 07 December 2006 - 11:54 AM

last time i lost my keys they quoted me near on 150 for new one etc

#5 User is offline   Scottland 

Posted 07 December 2006 - 12:20 PM

I don't need a new key though, just it reprogramming

#6 User is offline   Jessie 

Posted 07 December 2006 - 12:33 PM

It depends what you go in there and ask for. To reprogram a KEY they will charge you an hours labour and to the same as the instructions here (BTW when I code mine sometimes it takes a few goes).

To recode the CAR so that no previosly coded (and possibly your neighbours) keys don't open it any more I think may be significantly more.

In the old knowlege base there were a few different key coding options as some people found one thing worked where others found something else worked.

I'd say try disconecting the battery for 30 mins if you think it's the car but if it's not opening at work etc then I think it's more likely to be something in the vicinity of your home that is setting it off.

Oh and another thought, if you hold any of the buttons on the key down does the light flash as it could be that the batteries aren't contacting properly

And how far from your car do you work?? (odd question yes but humour me)

#7 User is offline   Scottland 

Posted 07 December 2006 - 01:06 PM

QUOTE (Jessie @ Dec 7 2006, 12:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It depends what you go in there and ask for. To reprogram a KEY they will charge you an hours labour and to the same as the instructions here (BTW when I code mine sometimes it takes a few goes).

To recode the CAR so that no previosly coded (and possibly your neighbours) keys don't open it any more I think may be significantly more.

In the old knowlege base there were a few different key coding options as some people found one thing worked where others found something else worked.

I'd say try disconecting the battery for 30 mins if you think it's the car but if it's not opening at work etc then I think it's more likely to be something in the vicinity of your home that is setting it off.

Oh and another thought, if you hold any of the buttons on the key down does the light flash as it could be that the batteries aren't contacting properly

And how far from your car do you work?? (odd question yes but humour me)

Thanks for your reply.

I have the RF fob, and if I take the key part of the fob off and hold down a button, the bulb doesn't light up, but I was under the impression I wouldn't see it anyway.

I park about a mile from where I work, but I also park a lot at my girlfriends and it doesn't do it there, so I don't think close vicinity to the key makes any difference (if thats what you were getting at?).
Also, if I bring my car (at home) all the way down the drive, past the gates it doesn't open - indicating that it's probably out of range of the neighbours.

When I try coding it myself, I've been following the instructions from the KB, and after I turn the ig to II 4 times, I hear a beep and the fog light button lights up straight away.

I've tried checking the contacts in the battery are in place properly, but they are as far as I can tell.

This post has been edited by Scottland: 07 December 2006 - 01:07 PM

#8 User is offline   Jessie 

Posted 07 December 2006 - 01:20 PM

I'm sure there should be a battery indicator light on it but I can't go look as I have a IR remote. and yeah I was getting at if the key has a intermitant connection it could e sending all sorts of funny signals to your car but if it's fine at the GF's then that's probably not it sad.gif

#9 User is offline   Scottland 

Posted 07 December 2006 - 01:53 PM

I might pick up a key/fob from eBay and see if I have any more luck with that.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic