Pumapeople: Northern Rock - Pumapeople

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Northern Rock grrrrr lazy and irresponsible reporting!! Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Guy Incognito 

• Group: Members

Posted 18 September 2007 - 06:27 PM

Is anyone else amazed at how easily a hyped up non story can almost bring a company to its knees?

It is like voting and reproducing, some folks are just too stupid to be allowed to. The funny thing is, the Government knows it will never have to make good on the deposits because the Bank is solvent but at least it might stop idiots queueing to get their money out.

I particularly liked the woman who stood there saying "I have 750,000 and i am seriously considering doing what my mother in law did, hide it under the matterss." Bet the robbers round her way were rubbing her hands together.

I think the media should have their wrist slapped as it was reported very poorly and irresponsibly!

#2 User is offline   pumanurse 

Posted 18 September 2007 - 06:31 PM

Our mortgage is with Northern Rock. I've got their money as opposed to all them having all of mine laugh.gif
No Comment

#3 User is offline   LisaDJ 

Posted 18 September 2007 - 06:33 PM

Us too ... laugh.gif

I can't believe that people are taking their money out - isn't that just going to make things worse. The bank of England have already bailed NR out so is there really need to panic?

#4 Guest_Tiggr_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 18 September 2007 - 06:36 PM

What got me was panic yesterday for other banks - Alliance and Leicester had a massive chunk of their share value wiped out yesterday and they have nothing wrong with them

Just pissed off i not been paid for 6 weeks - i'd have sunk a few thousand into Northern Rock shares yesterday if I had.

QUOTE (LisaDJ @ Sep 18 2007, 07:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Us too ... laugh.gif

I can't believe that people are taking their money out - isn't that just going to make things worse. The bank of England have already bailed NR out so is there really need to panic?

They havent even bailed them out, the loan was so NR could lend more money. The bank itself was never in any danger. There are rules in place to prevent banks giving out too much money. To be honest, the loan they got was their money anyway. All banks have to have a deposit account with the Bank Of England with a large chunk of their money in it to act as a buffer.

Perhaps if the media had been a bit more responsible in pointing this fact out, the panic would not have set in.

#5 User is offline   Guy Incognito 

Posted 18 September 2007 - 06:40 PM

exactly!

Lisa, the Bank of England did not "bail" NR out, that is the whole point I am making. The way loans etc work is thet your high street bank lends you money at 5 percent that they have borrowed at 3 percent so they make 2 percent on your money. That is how it has woerked for years, all NR was doing was getting the money from BofE to fund the mortgages they expected people to apply for. It was not to cover loans they had or anything like that. what got me was the fact that that was not clearly reported by anyone that I saw. the BBC used to be THE word in faiorness and well respected but now they are just woefull! If I had not studied economics at Uni I would have been really worried if I had savings there, just because of how it waas reported.

You may have noticed the plane crash in Phuket, they mention the "budget" airline as if to imply they skimped on checks or maintenance, it is lazy and leading reporting and i am sick of it!

Matt, stop editing when I am posting! tongue.gif

This post has been edited by guyincognito1975: 18 September 2007 - 06:41 PM

#6 User is offline   Sex Kitten 

• View gallery
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 18 September 2007 - 06:41 PM

yes but if you analyse NR's balance sheet it is not that rosy

plus how many of you know that if god forbid it did go belly up the rules around what depositers get back?

up to 2k 100%
between 2 and 35k 95%

after 35k zip

now i dont know what you think but i bet thats surprised a few people

my mum and dad were some of the people queuing up to get their money out - they couldnt afford to risk losing it - thats all they have to keep them into their old age (unless as my dad so cheekily reminded me i fancied them moving in with me!!!!)
sex kitten
come up and see me...make me smile :wink:

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO -What a Ride!:D

1.7 Moondust Silver Sep 2002 - Aug 2009, 1.7 Silver Thunder Aug 2009 -

#7 User is offline   Guy Incognito 

Posted 18 September 2007 - 06:47 PM

I can see what you are saying but the point is the bank did something that banks do every day, the only difference was they had to get the money from the B of E instead of from an international bank.

If that had been explained properly or better yet, the story had stayed in the FT and business pages where people reading it actually understand it then this would not have vappened. The BBC and others reported as if the bank was in trouble and as a direct result of that they very nearly were.

#8 User is offline   spenspuma 

Posted 18 September 2007 - 06:53 PM

I dont blame people at all for taking their money out.

Put yourself in the position of someone who has worked every hour god sends ALL their lives to get a nice little nest egg so they can retire and have a carefree life - would YOU leave it in the bank and trust the government !!! haha - I DONT THINK SO!! - this is the government that said our pensions were safe !! dry.gif

If i had a substantial amount of money in northern Rock i would do EXACTLY the same - its a no brainer. you have two choices 1)Leave your money in there and take a gamble that it'll still be there in 6 months OR 2) Put it in another Bank where it is GUARANTEED to be there in 6 months......in some ways you'd be a fool to leave it where it is....whatever so called 'guarantees' the government gives.

Be it speculation or not, people these days do not like uncertainty where their hard earned money is concerned. - i know i dont.
SPENCER
FORD PUMA THUNDER 2002 (SOLD)
HONDA CRZ 2013

#9 User is offline   Guy Incognito 

Posted 18 September 2007 - 06:57 PM

Spens, that is exactly my point. It has been reported so that people are worried. I should have entitled my post, how blooming irresponsible are the media.

The NR did exactly what all banks do, it is like pyramid selling. leaving your money with the NR is just as safe as leaving it with nat west or alliance and leicester. It is not even like you or i getting a new credit card with 0 percent on balance transfers, it is just common banking practice but it was reprted as being out of the ordinary leading to a run on the bank.

actually, if a mod is reading can they change the second line of the title to "grrr lazy and irresonsible reporting" please?

thank you, that was quick! x

This post has been edited by guyincognito1975: 18 September 2007 - 07:05 PM

#10 User is offline   Sex Kitten 

• View gallery
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 18 September 2007 - 07:05 PM

done!
sex kitten
come up and see me...make me smile :wink:

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO -What a Ride!:D

1.7 Moondust Silver Sep 2002 - Aug 2009, 1.7 Silver Thunder Aug 2009 -

#11 Guest_Tiggr_*

Posted 18 September 2007 - 07:07 PM

Ok, lets turn this round.

You are a nurse, desperate to buy a house before you end up stuck in rented accomodation for the rest of your life.

You mother was a nurse, and 30 years ago, she could afford her own place on her salary because the housing market was steady.

You borrow money from the NR.

There you are sat on saturday night, just off shift, and see people queuing up to take their money out of the bank. How do you feel. You are already on a 5 times salary mortgage, probably paying higher interest because your credit rating is not brilliant as you had to fund your way through Uni.

NR goes belly up through mass hysteria. Whats going to happen to your mortgage? If you are really lucky, your mortgage will be bought by a big bank. Unlikely as all the banks are struggling. What is more likely is that it will be bought by a Vulture Capitalist based investment bank. Whats going to happen to your interest payments? Most likely they will go up - standard practice under "salvage" conditions. New owner of your mortgage dont give a flying fuk as its win win for them. You struggle to pay, and they make money. You default a couple of times and they reposes, and sell on.

Food for thought...

#12 User is offline   Guy Incognito 

Posted 18 September 2007 - 07:10 PM

that is not turning it round, that is showing what could happen when a run is caused on a bank, which in this case would have been down to media hysteria.

#13 User is offline   Mountain Lion 

• View gallery

Posted 18 September 2007 - 07:18 PM

Until yesterday, when the Bank of England stepped in and declared that they would guarantee all customers' funds deposited with Northern Rock, nobody's money was safe (nobody who had more than £2000 deposited, that is).

Northern Rock was in trouble. No bank turns to the Band of England (the bank of last resort) unless they're in trouble.

Northern Rock did its business differently than other banks. Other banks usually have plenty of funds in the form of customer's savings and investments to cover the money that they lend, and only need to buy relatively little funds from the market. Northern Rock's business model is different. Most of the funds to cover its mortgages and loans are bought on the market. Comparatively little of the funds it holds come from customer's savings and investments. When the money market dried up, so did Northern Rock.

NR's share price has been in decline since March this year, indicating that there's been a gradual loss of confidence in its business model for quite a few months now.

Personally, if I'd have had more that £2K deposited with them last week, it probably would have been somewhere else by now. If I'd have had more than £35K with them, it certainly would have been out by now. As it happens, NR is probably now the safest bank you could have your money with, although as far as I know, the Bank of England still hasn't said when it will withdraw its emergency funding.

(the beauty of mathematics)

#14 User is offline   Guy Incognito 

Posted 18 September 2007 - 07:26 PM

you are right in that their business model is set up that way but the reason that their share price has been in decline ahs a lot to do with new buyers being priced out of the market and they were NRs main customer base.

I still maintain that if it had been reported in a more restrained fashion then the panic withdrawals would not have happened.

The reason that NR went to the B of E is because of general unease due to the US mortgage problems, not because of NR being in real difficulty, if they had been in real difficulty then the FSA would have shut them down or taken over the running.

#15 User is offline   LisaDJ 

Posted 18 September 2007 - 07:29 PM

I stand corrected on the comments I made about getting bailed out.

I did read that mortgage customers would be in no danger if Northern Rock went belly up, as you put it.
Another lender would just come and take the mortgage on instead...

#16 Guest_Tiggr_*

Posted 18 September 2007 - 07:32 PM

And charge what they like to do so Lisa, thats the critical issue.

The domino effect then kicks in, which is what was one of the causes of the Great Depression in the 30's

Have to say, IF i had 35k+ in savings, i would not have it all in one place. above 5k per account no bank offers that much of an incentive to save.

think its comonly termed as "spread betting" - exactly the same as if I were bunging it at a bookie

#17 User is offline   Mountain Lion 

• View gallery

Posted 18 September 2007 - 07:43 PM

Comment deleted - complete b*llocks.

This post has been edited by Mountain Lion: 18 September 2007 - 07:46 PM

#18 User is offline   Guy Incognito 

Posted 18 September 2007 - 07:46 PM

my mistake, I had read that NR had relied on new buyers for a lot of their business.

that will teach me to believe the media! blush.gif

#19 User is offline   Mountain Lion 

• View gallery

Posted 18 September 2007 - 07:47 PM

No my mistake - I was looking at the figures for the wrong year. blush.gif

#20 User is offline   Guy Incognito 

Posted 18 September 2007 - 07:49 PM

we are a pair of loons! blink.gif

Share this topic: