Pumapeople: Hillclimb Season Again - Pumapeople

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hillclimb Season Again Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Brokenbrian 

• Group: Members

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:22 PM

Hi all not been on for ages but as the racing season has started again i thought i would share my latest exploits at Doune Hillclimb on sunday.

Practice run 3 had a bit of a moment but was all under control.

Timed run 2 and a new PB managed to break it 4 times over the weekend.

For all my youtube vids see

www.youtube.com/user/Chickenshedracing

#2 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:49 AM

Awsome.
What were your winter changes? 4 second is amazing to improve bet you're chuffed.
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#3 User is offline   Brokenbrian 

Posted 22 April 2014 - 11:13 PM

No changes other than new brake lines and removing the great big lumps of plastic called rear speakers. i wish it was 4 seconds it was 4 times that i beat it from last years 55:69 to a 54:41 and that was on my second timed run with a fluffed gear change near the end of the run. During the weekend all i did to the car was play about with tyre pressures and found that adding 2 psi all round helped stop the car moving around on the tyres as much which helped give a bit more stability in the long corners. I may try dropping the car a bit more on the coilovers to see what gains if any i get in june when i go back. And im still chuffed about my new PB as gaining over a second over 1350m or so is still good going.

I may also rip out the bitumen sound deadening pads in the car as that will help save weight.

This post has been edited by Brokenbrian: 22 April 2014 - 11:13 PM

#4 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:11 AM

Still a great improvement :-)
Tyre pressures I never have much luck fiddling on the day as each ends up a different pressure from use or air temp so my tactic now has been to have them right first thing and then leave unless it is a very very hot day.
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#5 User is offline   V4FRP 

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:33 AM

Great to read Brian. My first event is week Two weeks Sunday at Llysyfran with the new car, let's hope I can be a bit braver now V4 is retired and L8 was bought as a spare parts collection for V4. Don't think tyre pressures are my problem more a lack of foot on the floorboards!!

#6 User is offline   Brokenbrian 

Posted 23 April 2014 - 04:10 PM

Thanks guys, it has taken 3 seasons going to Doune to feel brave enough to push it so much.

As for the tyre pressure i base it on the tyre temp on 3 parts of the tyre inside edge, middle and outside edge if they are all pretty even within a degree or so then i leave them alone if the are cold in the centre you need to add air hot in the centre take a bit out. It seems to work ok for me anyway and made the car feel a lot more planted once i got the temps sorted.

Good luck on your first event V4 and get the foot to the floor and beat some of the more powerful cars in your class...

Oh and Maplin & Lidl or Aldi do cheap infrared thermometers for doing tyre temps with.

#7 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:38 PM

Do you have something you measure the tyre temperature with?

#8 User is offline   Brokenbrian 

Posted 24 April 2014 - 04:54 PM

A cheap infrared thermometer from maplin, it cost me £20 :cool:/>

#9 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:51 PM

Thank you :-)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic