Pumapeople: Orange, 3g And Transmitter Issues - Pumapeople

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Orange, 3g And Transmitter Issues Maybe a telecoms savvy PP can comment Rate Topic: -----

#1 Guest_Tiggr_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 04 February 2008 - 04:20 PM

Having had a long chat on saturday with Orange Business Support ( Domestic Support were utterly useless ), the following was brought to my attention...

Friday night, my TyTNII started doing wierd things. Full signal but no tx/rx available.

I had 3G signal, but could neither make, nor receive calls / SMS. When i finally got through to someone who knew ( or appeared to know ) what they were talking about, this is what they said.

If you are connected to a 3G cell, and the transmitter goes semi offline, such that the carrier wave ( my terminology, from Army days ) is up, but make / receive is down, then the phone will not drop to 2G mode. The cell will also not release the phone to connect to a 2G tx cell. Even a reboot will not break it, as the phone will default to the 3G cell, even if its faulty. ( The guy on the phone stated an issue with local transmitter )

The only way to connect your phone is to go into settings and select 2G only mode.

Now I'm no telecomms engineer, so I still don't know if this is valid. However, on doing the above, the phone started working. Once out of range of the cell, I switched back to 3G mode and all was ok.

Comments please from those of you in the know...

#2 User is offline   Furrball 

• Group: Members

Posted 04 February 2008 - 04:43 PM

Not a technical response but I had the same issue with T-Mobile a couple of months ago and can confirm that forcing the phone into 2G mode caused it to spring back into life. I believe on that occasion T-Mobile were having serious issues with 3G connectivity in the London area
Chris

FRP138 - Gone but not forgotten . . .
The small blue furry ones adventures will continue . . .

#3 Guest_Tiggr_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 04 February 2008 - 04:45 PM

Ta Chris - seems to be a generic 3G issue then.

Whats more concerning is that I had no idea how long the phone had been offline as the display was showing connected

#4 User is offline   amino 

• View gallery

Posted 04 February 2008 - 05:01 PM

its a fairly common occurance. when in doubt....2G it out !?
All men are created equal. They are all vastly inferior to Jack Bauer.

#5 User is offline   rellik666 

Posted 04 February 2008 - 05:06 PM

it does happen regularly. i have my n95 in 2g mode all the time, and only switch 3g on when i need to make a video call. However with the expense of this it's rare i need a video call, as a 2g and a photo will suffice!!!
if at first you dont succeed parachuting's not your sport
Failure is not an option -- it comes bundled with Windows.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic