• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Crankshaft Pulley Broke Today! During a cambelt change at the dealer's

#1 User is offline   Thunderbird 

• Group: Members

Posted 06 June 2008 - 06:55 PM

Hi all

The PUMA has been booked today to have the first cambelt change at the Ford dealer. I dropped the car off last night and left with a loan car ( A boring Clio).

Today, I heard nothing till afternoon. They said that while they were getting the crankshafat pulley#s bolt off, the pulley fell off into two pieces!! Can this happen? I mean, was the pulley knackered? Or did they applied unusual pressure or force to cause this to become two halves? They said it costs a£86 for the part and the car wouldn't be ready till tomorrow.

When I took the car to them, I told them that I want the old parts they replacing, such as the waterpump...etc. If they don't give me something they have replaced, can I chalange the fact it has been replaced? What do you think?

They told over the phone of some "advisories" That I might be interested to know about. Two plastic pipes have a slight mark of coolant leak. Two cylinder head plugs showing minor signs of coolant leak. The top end of the rear shock absorbers have a slight play!.

I asked them to do the plugs and the pipes ( The pipes for £26ish and the plugs for £35ish all inclusive) What about the shock absorbers' thing?!

Please advise me if there is something I should know. The car to be finished tomorrow

Thank you for looking.
I love it when my Millie purrrrrrs!!

51 Reg. 1.7 Panther Black PUMA, 67595 miles, FFSH

#2 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 06 June 2008 - 06:59 PM

sadly I think this happended to someone else about 2 months ago. I'll try to find you the post. The garage had to cough up and pay to fix the part they broke!

it was unusal pressure that broke the other one, I'll get the post.
this is their problem personally

you didn't go to Pumaspeed I think, though that would have been close ish in Leeds.

changing the plugs will not fix the problem! sounds like you have a minor core plug leak.
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#3 User is offline   Thunderbird 

Posted 06 June 2008 - 07:05 PM

QUOTE (happy-kat @ Jun 6 2008, 06:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
sadly I think this happended to someone else about 2 months ago. I'll try to find you the post. The garage had to cough up and pay to fix the part they broke!

it was unusal pressure that broke the other one, I'll get the post.
this is their problem personally

you didn't go to Pumaspeed I think, though that would have been close ish in Leeds.

changing the plugs will not fix the problem! sounds like you have a minor core plug leak.

Thank you for your reply.

No, it was a Ford dealer. They qouted me the same price Pumaspeed were asking for, plus, the dealer was 20 miles away, whereas Pumaspeed are 60 miles from where I live.

I thought the same! It is a robust part that unlikely to brake!
They said they were trying to call me and couldn't get through. So they have ordered it on my behalf as this was a quicker option (compared to leaving it till they get to me and then the part won't be here till Monday)

What do you think? Should ask them to take responsiblilty for breaking it? How should I approach them about it? They said their Ford technician has got two Pumas himself and he knows Puma inside out!

This post has been edited by Thunderbird: 06 June 2008 - 07:06 PM

#4 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 06 June 2008 - 07:14 PM

found it
http://www.pumapeople.com/forum/index.php?...;hl=belt++broke

may not be the same part though ja_stupid.gif
sorry I am not a mechanic
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#5 User is offline   Magyrato 

Posted 06 June 2008 - 07:20 PM

When I had the cam belt done on mine they actually broke a bit off the cam trying to get the pulley off. They took a flake off where the setting tool rests leading me to believe they didn't hold it properly with the spanner as they should. It woulsd seem some exhaust cams are getting the pulley very tight some how. You really need to see the part as I can't see something like a pulley falling in to two pieces not if it had been running ok before. It sounds to me as if some one has applied leverage on it somewhere either in tryinig to hold it as they undid the bolt or in trying to get it off the cam shaft. Sounds to me as if it's down to the garage to replace the part it wasn't broken when you left the car with them and normal practices for removing the pulley wouldn't break it. They'll have to swallow it. You might have to stand your ground a bit with them if they make noises about you paying but if yuo stand a bit firm you should get what you want. Which is a fixed car and the bill the same as you thought it would be.

#6 User is offline   Thunderbird 

Posted 06 June 2008 - 07:24 PM

QUOTE (happy-kat @ Jun 6 2008, 08:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
found it
http://www.pumapeople.com/forum/index.php?...;hl=belt++broke

may not be the same part though ja_stupid.gif
sorry I am not a mechanic

Hi again and thank you for your effort.

Unfortunately, no, it is not the same puley. The on the post is for the exhaust cam that moves the exhaust valves.

The pulley they broke was the big one at the lower end of the auxilary belt as they were trying to get the bolt off.

I don't know what to do! Help!

QUOTE (Magyrato @ Jun 6 2008, 08:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When I had the cam belt done on mine they actually broke a bit off the cam trying to get the pulley off. They took a flake off where the setting tool rests leading me to believe they didn't hold it properly with the spanner as they should. It woulsd seem some exhaust cams are getting the pulley very tight some how. You really need to see the part as I can't see something like a pulley falling in to two pieces not if it had been running ok before. It sounds to me as if some one has applied leverage on it somewhere either in tryinig to hold it as they undid the bolt or in trying to get it off the cam shaft. Sounds to me as if it's down to the garage to replace the part it wasn't broken when you left the car with them and normal practices for removing the pulley wouldn't break it. They'll have to swallow it. You might have to stand your ground a bit with them if they make noises about you paying but if yuo stand a bit firm you should get what you want. Which is a fixed car and the bill the same as you thought it would be.

Hi and thank you for your reply.

I think the same. It is a big strong pulley that shouldn't break really!
They should have hammered it or something to break it!
Has anyone had heard about this pulley breaking in any other Puma?

The savings will be gone if I pay for the pulley! I don't have an idea how to challenge them about it.

This post has been edited by Thunderbird: 06 June 2008 - 07:26 PM

#7 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 06 June 2008 - 07:27 PM

still think that maybe they didn't quite do it right and if I dropped my car off and a part broke then I would not be paying.

It broke in their care doing a job specifically around that part.

trying to get the bolt off....

#8 User is offline   Thunderbird 

Posted 06 June 2008 - 07:35 PM

QUOTE (happy-kat @ Jun 6 2008, 07:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
still think that maybe they didn't quite do it right and if I dropped my car off and a part broke then I would not be paying.

It broke in their care doing a job specifically around that part.

trying to get the bolt off....

I totally agree with you, but, I want to be armed with technically info to support my claim it shouldn't break.

has anybody heard of such a thing happening before to that big pulley?

#9 User is offline   PG12 

Posted 06 June 2008 - 07:43 PM

complain to ford customer service

in my case i was told to get the opinion of another ford garage relating to a damaged/repaired item on my car

this garages opinion was used to override the original garages and they rectified the issue
RPJ DAMPENERS - POWERFLEX ALLROUND - JANSPEED SS SYSTEM - SOLD - probably in bits now...

#10 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 06 June 2008 - 07:45 PM

why does this not apply from that post I liked?

They messed up!!!

From the Ford Techinal Information System:
CAUTION:
Do not use the special tool to stop the camshafts from turning while undoing the camshaft pulleys.
CAUTION:
Only hold the camshafts by the hexagon with a spanner.

#11 User is offline   Thunderbird 

Posted 06 June 2008 - 07:46 PM

QUOTE (PG12 @ Jun 6 2008, 08:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
complain to ford customer service

in my case i was told to get the opinion of another ford garage relating to a damaged/repaired item on my car

this garages opinion was used to override the original garages and they rectified the issue

Can you tell me how to go about this? I mean how to suggest another Ford garage opinion?

#12 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 06 June 2008 - 07:55 PM

ring up Ford Customer Service and ask them what you should do smile.gif

#13 User is offline   Thunderbird 

Posted 06 June 2008 - 07:56 PM

QUOTE (happy-kat @ Jun 6 2008, 08:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
why does this not apply from that post I liked?

They messed up!!!

From the Ford Techinal Information System:
CAUTION:
Do not use the special tool to stop the camshafts from turning while undoing the camshaft pulleys.
CAUTION:
Only hold the camshafts by the hexagon with a spanner.

I have just seen your post.

The pulley in that post is one of the exhaust cam shaft. The one they broke is the crankshaft pulley.
The qouted reply in your post above it seems to be about the cam pulley, not the crank pulley, but I don't know if it apllies to my case!

#14 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 06 June 2008 - 07:57 PM

the thing that is against you that I can see is you are late doing this routine job (but don't say that as they may not even think of it) when you ring Ford Customer Service

#15 User is offline   Thunderbird 

Posted 06 June 2008 - 07:58 PM

QUOTE (happy-kat @ Jun 6 2008, 08:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ring up Ford Customer Care and ask them what you should do smile.gif

Hi

Should I do it tomorrow before picking up the car? Or after picking the car and paying up for the pulley?
I am asking just in case Ford call centre might be closed tomorrow. I will have a look now.

#16 User is offline   PG12 

Posted 06 June 2008 - 07:58 PM

QUOTE (Thunderbird @ Jun 6 2008, 08:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Can you tell me how to go about this? I mean how to suggest another Ford garage opinion?

need to phone them - can't find the number on the ford site - seems to redirect me....

in my case i was unhappy with the repairs they insisted on doing to my car - the customer services guy on the other end suggested i get the opinion of another ford garage and that would be used to settle the matter

tip:take it to a rival ford dealership in the same city wink.gif
RPJ DAMPENERS - POWERFLEX ALLROUND - JANSPEED SS SYSTEM - SOLD - probably in bits now...

#17 User is offline   Thunderbird 

Posted 06 June 2008 - 08:08 PM

QUOTE (PG12 @ Jun 6 2008, 08:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
need to phone them - can't find the number on the ford site - seems to redirect me....

in my case i was unhappy with the repairs they insisted on doing to my car - the customer services guy on the other end suggested i get the opinion of another ford garage and that would be used to settle the matter

tip:take it to a rival ford dealership in the same city wink.gif

Hi again

I found their contact numbers from saynoto0870.com ( I like free numbers!lol)

ford customer services.....08458411111 01277253000 switchboard ford they will put you through.ask for customer care coventry.
ford customer relations.....08458411111 01926691602 withold number also try 01 03 04 05 06 at end etc
Ford Customer services....0845 841 1111 0800 166 166

I was going to go to Puma speed for the cambelt change. I thought I should call the local dealers to see what are their qoutes.
All of them qouted me £350ish for the cambelt change only using Ford kit. This dealer asked for £245 for the same thing but they were 20 miles away.
So, I thought waw, the same price as Pumaspeed but it is Ford dealer! They qouted me £345 to include the waterpump and £20 for the rocker cover gasket.

So, I am not quite sure if the local dealers will be in direct competition with them , but, I will see then.

This post has been edited by Thunderbird: 06 June 2008 - 08:09 PM

#18 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 06 June 2008 - 08:18 PM

you sure they were all going to do the same job using the same parts?
only a price difference like that seems odd ja_stupid.gif

#19 User is offline   Thunderbird 

Posted 06 June 2008 - 08:26 PM

QUOTE (happy-kat @ Jun 6 2008, 09:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
you sure they were all going to do the same job using the same parts?
only a price difference like that seems odd ja_stupid.gif

Yes, I am sure. I asked them what are they going to use, and they said genuin Ford kit and even the colant will be a genuin one that is used by Ford and I asked if it is the same pink (purple) one and they assured me it will be the genuin parts for everything. I think the lower price could be for the different labour charge. The breakdown as far as I remember was as follows:

Ford cambelt kit for £79 ish
3 hrs labour to do the job
£60 for the water pump
1/2 hr labour to do the water pump.
£20ish for the rocker cover gasket( no extra labour)

To my horror, local Ford dealers said somthing really strange when i called them about qoutes and I asked them about what is included and if they will replace the rocker cover gasket, two dealers said they will re=seal the rocker gasket and there will be no noeed for a new one!!! ohmy.gif !! Can you believe it?!!

I have the detailed qoute on a paper somewhere, but tomorrow, I will post the exact breakdown of the bill.

This post has been edited by Thunderbird: 06 June 2008 - 08:28 PM

#20 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 06 June 2008 - 08:29 PM

you can reuse the old gasket, just it does have a tendency to leak later
why they changing the coolant? your car is not 10 years old ja_stupid.gif

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic