Pumapeople: When Do You Need To Inform Insurance Companies? - Pumapeople

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

When Do You Need To Inform Insurance Companies?

#1 User is offline   Phasenoise 

• Group: Members

Posted 13 April 2010 - 03:44 AM

Been looking at making some small changes to my Puma and was wondering when do you need to inform your insurance company?

Suspension, I had the Powerflex kit added all round, costs me £90 extra a year.
Exahust? Thinking of pumabuilds FRP system on the standard Puma.
Brakes? Thinking of the standard EBC discs and the Greenstuff Pads.

Will I need to pay even more for these other bits??

Thanks, just thought it might help others if they knew about insurance changes, pretty sure there are loads of people with simple mods that invalidate their insurance.
Michelin Pilot Exalto / Speedline Turini Wheels / Motorcraft plug with Magnecor leads / Powerflex all round / Fuchs Titan Race Pro S 5W-30 Oil.

#2 User is offline   FlashBastd 

• Group: Validating

Posted 13 April 2010 - 06:37 AM

In theory you should tell them about all of those. In reality the brakes probably won't make any difference, but the exhaust and suspension might.
2005 Vauxhall VX220 Turbo
2000 Ford Focus 1.6i Ghia
2006 Renault Clio 2.0i RenaultSport 197 - SOLD
2005 Honda CR-V 2.0i Executive auto
2001 Ford Puma 1.7i Black

#3 User is offline   Shilly 

Posted 13 April 2010 - 08:01 AM

as said above discs and pads are like for like replacement i would inform them that all modifications that where made where not to enhance the performance but as a cheaper alternative to manufactures expensive parts
ive been dealing with brokers for the past few weeks and have been learning a few tricks of the trade

This post has been edited by Shilly: 13 April 2010 - 08:02 AM

#4 User is offline   pumapilot 

• View gallery

Posted 13 April 2010 - 08:27 AM

The only thing my insurance company charged me for, was my 4-2-1 Milltek manifold, because it was a non standard replacement - no charge at all for Powerflex suspension bushes, insurance premium rose by 10% after exhaust fitted, but heard this is standard practice.
Posted Image
Signature block created by Colin Y (BOK) & here as my tribute to him
Print your own Pumapeople fliers by clicking here
PUMA GARAGE LIST LINK
Tremona Garage

#5 User is offline   ScubaSteve 

Posted 13 April 2010 - 08:50 AM

id only tell them about exhaust tbh, they really wont go near the bushes or even know what they are if they found them, know someone who is an inspector and he told me exactly what they check in accidents, if i asked him what a polyflex bush is he wouldnt have a clue lol

#6 User is offline   dawesy 

Posted 13 April 2010 - 11:43 AM

i had a full stainless exhaust on a car that got wrote off (only been on a week and hadn't got round to ringing them)
assessor came round and never noticed.
all depends i suppose. i would say that the FRP exhaust would be ok as it still looks stock, but in reality you should tell them about any thing that isnt stock.
my other toy has 470bhp

#7 User is offline   Phasenoise 

Posted 13 April 2010 - 01:53 PM

Cool thanks for the replies, really fancy the FRP exhaust, will be pretty expensive, manifold, centre section and backbox. If I can talk the missus in to it I might just go for it :)

Is there any power advantage or is it really cosmetic and a bit more noise?
Michelin Pilot Exalto / Speedline Turini Wheels / Motorcraft plug with Magnecor leads / Powerflex all round / Fuchs Titan Race Pro S 5W-30 Oil.

#8 User is offline   ScubaSteve 

Posted 13 April 2010 - 02:30 PM

you wont really get any power advantage from any small engined n/a car with just a different exhaust unfortuantely

#9 User is offline   Pumasparky 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 13 April 2010 - 03:13 PM

It's always worth informing the insurer of ANY modifications as if the car is involved in an accident and they start being picky, you could lose out if they say the car has been modified and they haven't been informed.

Be safe and sure and let them know.
PUMASPARKY

#10 User is offline   ScubaSteve 

Posted 13 April 2010 - 03:33 PM

yeah but come on, things like bushes, they are renewable parts, its like saying you are going to tell your insurers when you put anything other then ford spark plugs in your car.

#11 User is offline   pumapilot 

• View gallery

Posted 13 April 2010 - 08:13 PM

View PostPhasenoise, on 13 April 2010 - 01:53 PM, said:

Cool thanks for the replies, really fancy the FRP exhaust.
Is there any power advantage or is it really cosmetic and a bit more noise?

Full FRP Milltek system on my 1.7 Kat, no need to change down from 5th to 4th to overtake on the motorway, there are 2 systems - resonated and non-resonated, not sure which is quieter, but under 4000rpm, mine is bearable at motorway cruising speeds, as for power advantage, Pumaspeed reckon 8-10+ BHP increase.

Bonus is that apart from manifold, insurance company only presume that you have had a stainless steel exhaust fitted.

The only downside is that your stereo wont work for a month, you'll have the window open listening to the noise, you'll find yourself loking for tunnels to drive through as well.

EditThe exhaust looks pretty awesome at the back too:

Posted Image

This post has been edited by pumapilot: 13 April 2010 - 08:15 PM

Posted Image
Signature block created by Colin Y (BOK) & here as my tribute to him
Print your own Pumapeople fliers by clicking here
PUMA GARAGE LIST LINK
Tremona Garage

#12 User is offline   chestnutree 

Posted 16 April 2010 - 10:45 AM

i've added:

Puma badge over ford badge
LED lights inside headlights
3rd brake light
Parking sensors (which would add safety not hinder)

Wouldn't need these adding would i? lights and additional safety?

#13 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 16 April 2010 - 08:41 PM

Anything that is a change to standard then yes it is your insurer's decision as to whether or not they are bothered.
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#14 User is offline   PG12 

Posted 16 April 2010 - 08:57 PM

car 'insurance' is now essentially just another tax - wouldn't loose sleep over any modifications - they find something to not pay out regardless
RPJ DAMPENERS - POWERFLEX ALLROUND - JANSPEED SS SYSTEM - SOLD - probably in bits now...

#15 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 16 April 2010 - 09:00 PM

Even since the guy telling his story of not only not being covered himeself but the fact he had to actually pay to repair the other vehicle as he had his cover invalidated, now that was painful experience, and very! costly.
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#16 User is offline   Phasenoise 

Posted 18 April 2010 - 05:21 AM

Just got my renewal for insurance, price has gone up so used Adrian Flux to find a better price, got one but with some company called Red Star or something, the insurance hasn't started yet but hearing bad things about them from family members, anyone here had a run in with these people?

#17 User is offline   dawesy 

Posted 18 April 2010 - 09:38 AM

no issues here. i use them for the insurance on the corolla, very heavily modified. although they try to increase the premiums evry year by £100 or so, ive had no issues, tho i havent had to claim
my other toy has 470bhp

#18 User is offline   Phasenoise 

Posted 20 April 2010 - 01:21 PM

Cool I'll see how it goes, I'm pretty sure all insurance companies are the same.

#19 User is offline   stetsoncutie 

Posted 20 April 2010 - 06:32 PM

View PostPhasenoise, on 20 April 2010 - 01:21 PM, said:

Cool I'll see how it goes, I'm pretty sure all insurance companies are the same.

Can't believe no ones mentioned wheels and tyres ! if you are running non standard wheels and not factory spec tyre size i suggest you tell your insurance pronto, trust me i'm a car bodywork collision estimator !

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic