• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Puma 1.7 Melina Blue A running diary Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   StevenRaith 

• Group: Members

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:53 PM

Is the poly mount that harsh?

I'm umming and aahing over one for my car (As my driving style means it keeps eating flex-pipes) but as it's a daily driver that sounds like it might be a bit much.

I'm not expecting my car to be a laid back limo, but frankly I have my own collection of rattles and knocks and don't want to make them worse ;)

#22 User is offline   JPTipper 

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:47 AM

yeah its pretty bad tbh, ha! didnt realise you had posted, i posted in yours :P/>

Pretty much any rattle and buzz and knock your car has, it will amplify, no one will hear it outside though, its all inside :S

This post has been edited by JPTipper: 10 May 2013 - 08:48 AM

Andy, Project Thread Here1979 Ford Capri Mk3 1.6L in Midnight Blue (Sold to a man in essex), 1999 Ford Puma 1.4 Melina Blue (Written off by a man with a fast motorbike), 1992 Peugeot 106 XSi 1.4 Miami Blue (Restored then sold to a man who now races it), Ford Puma 1.7 Melina Blue (Aww Yeah :D ) It is evident that i unknowingly like blue cars...

#23 User is offline   StevenRaith 

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:50 PM

Bah - guess I'll just have to either moderate my driving style somewhat, or find a much higher quality felx-pipe :D

#24 User is offline   JPTipper 

Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:15 PM

Right,

So as no one has been able to help me diagnose what my 2000rpm noise "metallic clacking" is (a mate, my grandad, the mrs, my mum, a mechanic and a retired mechanic all stood around the car while I forced it to make the noise) and no one had any successful fixes.

i think the next stage is to pump some cash into the girl and see if i can fix it the expensive way. i liken it to the shotgun approach >:D/>/> "fill the air with enough lead, you're bound to hit something" ;)/>/>

As far as i can see there are three possibilities

• 1. Cambelt tensioner
  • 2. VCT pulley
  • 3. Something on the FEAD drive

Right, my parts bin is going to get heavy and my wallet is going to get lighter. I'm going to need:

• Cambelt Kit
  • Timing Kit
  • Rocker Cover Gasket (just replaced the bloody thing)
  • VCT pulley (from somewhere)
  • VCT solenoid (sods law il get it all back together then that will go)

i already have:

• Waterpump
  • FEAD tensioner

I have already done:

• Idle pulley
  • FEAD belt

Not happy with this idea, but if it is the cambelt tensioner, im living on borrowed time and i cant risk losing the engine :(/>/>

If the rattle persists, i know the expensive stuff is out of the way and the rattle isnt life threatening...

Mind you, probably get a low mileage engine for the cost of the parts... oh well, we will see...

[Unhappy] Chars!

This post has been edited by JPTipper: 14 May 2013 - 02:16 PM

Andy, Project Thread Here1979 Ford Capri Mk3 1.6L in Midnight Blue (Sold to a man in essex), 1999 Ford Puma 1.4 Melina Blue (Written off by a man with a fast motorbike), 1992 Peugeot 106 XSi 1.4 Miami Blue (Restored then sold to a man who now races it), Ford Puma 1.7 Melina Blue (Aww Yeah :D ) It is evident that i unknowingly like blue cars...

#25 User is offline   JPTipper 

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:49 AM

Right, just a side note,

My HCV broke the other day, one of the plastic tubes that the hose goes onto snapped off and I lost 4 ltrs of winter mix... bit annoyed, but, there you go lol

I was in the middle of canterbury at 1900 at the time, luckily i had a temporary fix for it on board that i learnt from when my 1.4's HCV went,

You need;

3x 30mm lengths of 15mm copper pipe
2x 15mm elbows
2x jubilee clips
Screwdriver for clips
Pliers
Water

Fit together and fix in whatever method you've chosen (Solder or Olive fit) in a U shape and then,

When your HCV goes wrong/bursts/leaks

• Wait for coolant to reduce in temperature
  • Remove both hoses from the front of the HCV and discard poopy ford sprung clips
  • Fit copper pipe fix and clamp down with jubilee clips, they need to very as tight as you can make them.
  • Make sure the hoses dont touch or rub on the exhaust heat shield after.
  • Top coolant header tank up and then bleed system, pretty simple, run engine with header cap off, squeezing hoses until engine is up to temperature, top up header tank as necessary. Check for leaks from copper pipe. While squeezing rad top and bottom hoses (CAREFUL OF DRIVE BELTS!!!!!) listen for squelching, this means theres air in there, repeated until hoses are hot and not squelchy. Top header tank to just above max, and drive away.
  • Keep an eye on temp needle and coolant level for the first 20 or so miles, make sure to keep checking for leaks from the U pipe
Of course, this does mean you have to carry around the U shape, 2 jubilee clips, pliers and a screwdriver, but they can go in a bag in where the jack is in the boot can't they :)
Plus it wasnt really a hardship for me as i carry a few choice tools around just for such an occasion anyway :P

Note: after this your heater wont work and there may be coolant coming out of the open ends of the HCV for a while, We're coming into summer now so shoudnt be much of a problem, but it is a Temporary Fix until you can get hold of a HCV (a genuine ford one, forget about the £9 ebay jobbies)

I've done 200 miles on the fix now, its still going, no leaks, needle bang in the middle of the gauge and car is very happy.

I realise a lot of people would already know how to do this, but you know, just in case you dont :) it'll get you to where you're going without having to wait for the recovery truck and it takes literally ten minutes to do.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic