Pumapeople: What Metal Is The Bodywork Made From? - Pumapeople

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What Metal Is The Bodywork Made From?

#1 User is offline   chestnutree 

• Group: Members

Posted 09 July 2009 - 03:47 PM

What metal is the outside of the puma actually made from? google was useless at answering this, just brought me pumas for sale!!

Reason i'm asking is cus the metal primer i'm using says it's for copper, aluminium, brass and other "non ferrous" metals. Is the pumas bodywork made from a "non ferrous" metal? need to know before i slap this paint on smile.gif thanks

#2 User is offline   Matt & Tiggr MKIII 

Posted 09 July 2009 - 03:58 PM

It rusts like a good Ford should,

so thats a bit of a give away wink.gif
Matt and Tiggr

"i have seen things you people couldn't believe; attack ships off the shoulder of orion. I watched c-beams at the tannhauser gate. all these things will be lost in time....like tears in the rain........
Time....to...die........"

#3 User is offline   chestnutree 

Posted 09 July 2009 - 04:07 PM

so if it rusts, then does that mean it is ferrous. So the non-ferrous paint i have is no good? sad.gif

This post has been edited by chestnutree: 09 July 2009 - 04:07 PM

#4 User is offline   Crystalpuma 

Posted 09 July 2009 - 04:12 PM

Iron rusts but other metals corrode so are we saying technically the Puma corrodes?
"Margaret was right...piracy is our only option"
Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

Nancy & Vix

#5 User is offline   Matt & Tiggr MKIII 

Posted 09 July 2009 - 04:12 PM

Made of lovely steel, so probably not good to use that primer, as depending on what it contains, you may find it flaking off at some point in the future.
Matt and Tiggr

"i have seen things you people couldn't believe; attack ships off the shoulder of orion. I watched c-beams at the tannhauser gate. all these things will be lost in time....like tears in the rain........

#6 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 09 July 2009 - 04:13 PM

I bought my primer from Ford, it was a nice small sized bottle of it.
Then you know what you got is right. smile.gif
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#7 User is offline   Matt & Tiggr MKIII 

QUOTE (Crystalpuma @ Jul 9 2009, 05:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Iron rusts but other metals corrode so are we saying technically the Puma corrodes?

Nope - it rusts, well my doors and wheel arches did... However, the engine corrodes, just to be pedantic wink.gif
Matt and Tiggr

#8 User is offline   chestnutree 

Awwww, wot a waste of money sad.gif trust wilko to only stock "special metals" hammerite primer, but not the normal one!

#9 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 09 July 2009 - 04:14 PM

That is because it is none ferrous. (As you know).
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#10 User is offline   chestnutree 

Posted 09 July 2009 - 04:15 PM

QUOTE (happy-kat @ Jul 9 2009, 05:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I bought my primer from Ford, it was a nice small sized bottle of it.
Then you know what you got is right. smile.gif

I wanted to get the hammerite stuff with it being all anti rust n stuff. I have already put hammerite kurust stuff on 1st. but wana be double protective and put hammerite primer on next as this also treats + protects against rust. Don't want these arches to get like some others i've seen.

#11 User is offline   Crystalpuma 

Posted 09 July 2009 - 04:17 PM

Only iron can actually rust...or so a chemist told me (technically all other metals corrode, which is exactly the same process) - however this could have been misinformation. I don't know why they would have said that though ja_stupid.gif
"Margaret was right...piracy is our only option"
Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

Nancy & Vix

#12 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 09 July 2009 - 04:17 PM

The arch rust is inside out it seems people feel, so you need to also get to the inside of the problem.
Then try Halfords smile.gif Wilko is not going to have the variety of products you need to look at.

#13 User is offline   Matt & Tiggr MKIII 

Posted 09 July 2009 - 04:20 PM

Vix, rust is just a form of corrosion, but in general terms, it has become its own form, such that most people know rust forms on iron, and aluminium corrodes.

Matt and Tiggr

#14 User is offline   chestnutree 

Posted 09 July 2009 - 04:42 PM

QUOTE (Crystalpuma @ Jul 9 2009, 05:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Only iron can actually rust...or so a chemist told me (technically all other metals corrode, which is exactly the same process) - however this could have been misinformation. I don't know why they would have said that though ja_stupid.gif

i still don't know wot the puma is made from,lol....but after researching the ferrous and non-ferrous, rust etc.... i've found info on google that suggests a lot of metals are mixed with iron. It also states that if it's ferrous, then it means it has iron in it. If it's non-ferrous it means it doesn't have iron in it. As above someone said that the puma is made from a ferrous metal, this then means the pumas bodywork has iron in it which is why it rusts?

QUOTE (happy-kat @ Jul 9 2009, 05:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The arch rust is inside out it seems people feel, so you need to also get to the inside of the problem.
Then try Halfords smile.gif Wilko is not going to have the variety of products you need to look at.

Yea i've taken the arch liner off, cleaned it all down and treating the rust from inside here. I can see exactly where the rust is on the underneath of the arch as to where it corresponds with the bubbles on the outside. so i know i'm on the right track with where i'm treating it smile.gif just a case of using the right stuff,lol.

#15 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 09 July 2009 - 04:48 PM

The other area is to get inside the rear interior panels and treat it from there. This is a rust bubble through point on the seams I gather from reading posts and seeing the Wiki article.
Sounds like your rust has gone right through and in fact you may well get a hole when going down to bare none rusty metal ja_stupid.gif

#16 User is offline   chestnutree 

Posted 09 July 2009 - 04:55 PM

The metal doesn't seem weak and crumbly so hopefully i won't end up with a hole. If u were to see it u wud see it's not corroded that bad, but enough to show a slight bubble on the outside too. I also thought the kurust stuff treated the rust and toughened the metal slightly if it had been affected by rust? It's only around the area where the arch liner/carpet is in contact with the bodywork on the inside.

The other area ur talking about, higher up the arches which has to be treated from under the back seats in the car....i don't have any bubbles here yet, but when i get around to it i will treat it incase it does go rusty.

#17 User is offline   PandK 

• Group: Validating

Posted 12 July 2009 - 09:07 PM

Unless you have an (very) expensive car, body panels are made of Mild Steel which is an alloy of Iron (Fe) and Carbon (<0.3%). Increasing the carbon makes it harder, but not so easy to bend into shape. Fe is where the ferrous bit comes in, which becomes Ferrous Oxide/Ferric Oxide or rust as we like to call it as it oxidises.

The funny bit is that Ford had a colour called Venetian Red, and guess what pigment it uses ? Ferric Oxide.....

#18 User is offline   pumanurse 

Posted 12 July 2009 - 09:17 PM

QUOTE (Crystalpuma @ Jul 9 2009, 05:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Rust is iron oxide, therefore only a metal containing iron can 'rust'

oops, the previous post wasn't on when I started replying, shouldn't have gone to get a drink,mid reply laugh.gif )
No Comment

#19 User is offline   m_kitty 

Posted 15 July 2009 - 07:21 AM

puma is made from zinc coated steel of various types.
chemically it's oxidation, rust is the name of one form of iron oxide, the other is black and i think what the rust treatments change the rust into. rust unlike most forms of corrosion doesn't seal the surface and actively increases the process, hence why it is a pain.
rust treatments don't strengthen the metal and need painting as soon as possible to stop the rust coming back.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic