Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

In This Lovely Wether

#1 User is offline   Dezza 

• View gallery
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 March 2006 - 01:39 PM

Where I live in 'lovely' Essex it has been wet and horrible the last couple of days and is set to continue. Whenever im in the Puma during to and from work etc it is raining so I have the wipers on. However they keep making a sweaking noise when they are used which is really starting to annoye me. The only way I can stop it is to use my washer jets to spray some MORE water onto the windscreen and it then stops for a short period of time. My blades dont need replacing as they are relatively new. So is the best way of sorting to change the blades all together to the Bosch blade or would I still have the same problem?
Dez

#2 User is offline   katpaws 

Posted 08 March 2006 - 01:44 PM

Can't answer your problem but I have the same squeak!

Your'e not alone. sleep.gif
Q: What do you call a dog with no hind legs and metal balls?

A: Sparky!

#3 User is offline   RichB 

Posted 08 March 2006 - 01:47 PM

when u wash you car next wipe over your blades with a bit of soap and this seems to work for me. helps them last longer to.
Finally a Puma owner! only took 4 years!!!

#4 User is offline   Nicon 

Posted 08 March 2006 - 01:48 PM

I know it sounds strange but try cutting open a potato and rubbing that on the blades. It cleans them really well and stopped the squeeking on mine.
Nothing Says ?Obey Me? Like A Bloody Head On A Stick

#5 User is offline   Nicola 

Posted 08 March 2006 - 02:01 PM

QUOTE (Dezza @ Mar 8 2006, 01:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Where I live in 'lovely' Essex it has been wet and horrible the last couple of days and is set to continue. Whenever im in the Puma during to and from work etc it is raining so I have the wipers on. However they keep making a sweaking noise when they are used which is really starting to annoye me. The only way I can stop it is to use my washer jets to spray some MORE water onto the windscreen and it then stops for a short period of time. My blades dont need replacing as they are relatively new. So is the best way of sorting to change the blades all together to the Bosch blade or would I still have the same problem?

Bosch blades are great, mine never ever sqeak now 10.gif

Nicon,

how did you find that tip out??? I couldn't imagine using a potato to clean something let alone try it and find out how well it works! roflmao.gif
I went to a sea food disco at the weekend - I pulled a mussel..

#6 Guest_Miss Boss_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 08 March 2006 - 02:05 PM

QUOTE (shoolbred1984 @ Mar 8 2006, 02:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
how did you find that tip out??? I couldn't imagine using a potato to clean something let alone try it and find out how well it works! roflmao.gif

was just thinking the same thing...

#7 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 08 March 2006 - 02:06 PM

I use a folded peice of kitchen paper with a big dolup of Fairy liquid and wipe this firmly several times over the blade edge. This removes any noise/judder smile.gif
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#8 User is offline   Ratty 

Posted 08 March 2006 - 02:10 PM

Vinegar according to RAC man on TV.

De-greases them I guess.
Malcolm
Stardust Silver Mondeo 130 TDCi Ghia Est.
Yamahooha MT-01 :@)
Honda 600 Hornet. - Now gone :@
Ex-Radiant Red 1.7 FaRPied Kat - Gone for ever :@(
Jewel Green Focus 115 TDCi Ghia Est. - Gone to good home ;@)

#9 User is offline   spenspuma 

Posted 08 March 2006 - 02:36 PM

You may be lookin at the wrong thing in trying to cure your problem. It may not actually be the blades that are causing the screaching....i personally would say it is the windscreen, or more to the point what substance is on the screen causing it.

What car shampoo do you use??....i say this because a lot of people use Zip Wax shampoo and what happens is that when you are washing your screen with it , it is leaving a thin layer of wax on it. This can cause wiper blades to screach/judder.

A good way to get rid of it is to use a good glass polish. Autoglym do glass polish and it will remove any old wax deposits and leave the glass looking mega clear.

Either that or get down Sainsburys and buy some potatoes bleh.gif

This post has been edited by spenspuma: 08 March 2006 - 02:37 PM

SPENCER
FORD PUMA THUNDER 2002 (SOLD)
HONDA CRZ 2013

#10 User is offline   Rog 

• Location:In an R32 on the twisty bits of the North York Moors

Posted 08 March 2006 - 03:01 PM

Hi guys

I find that grease on the glass in fact makes the wipers smoother (helps the glide) but doesn't leave a clean glass behind but a film of water, so this is unlikely to be the cause. An old windscreen, once it starts, will continue to cause `shudder and squeek' to its wiper blades (I have heard of people unable to eradicate it so a new windscreen was the only solution).

The best solution I have found is a product called RainX (from most good retailers), essentially an alcohol based cleaner that strips the glass of grimy deposits and lets the alcohol dispere water when it rains and allows blades to run sweeter.

I agree different shampoos and glass cleaners can have an effect, but it is the combination, or wrong combination, that contributes to this problem.

So: Change shampoo/glass cleaner combo, ensure blades are the best you can afford and use RainX.

Hope it works good.gif
VW Golf MK V R32 - Outstanding car for all occasions
Ford Racing Puma #148 - What can I say that hasn't already been said about these cars?
Merc CLK 320 - Good Points - Comfortable, Bad Points - Comfortable!
Subaru Impreza Turbo WRX STI Type RA - 4 doors, 5 seats, a boot and 0-60 in 4.3! It doesn't get much better!
VW Golf MK2 GTI 16v Special (celebrating the 10 millionth Golf) - my baby, shouldn't have sold her
Pug 205 GTI 1.9 - an even bigger hoot!
Pug 205 GTI 1.6 - a hoot!
VW Beetle (new one from Mexico) - really quite good
1962 Mini 800 - always breaking down

#11 User is offline   Nicon 

Posted 08 March 2006 - 04:15 PM

QUOTE (shoolbred1984 @ Mar 8 2006, 02:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bosch blades are great, mine never ever sqeak now 10.gif

Nicon,

Believe it or not, i was driving home one day and the blades were totally b*****ed. It was the only thing in my car that i thought had a chance or working. So i pulled over and gave it a try.

#12 User is offline   Nicola 

Posted 08 March 2006 - 04:17 PM

QUOTE (Nicon @ Mar 8 2006, 04:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Believe it or not, i was driving home one day and the blades were totally b*****ed. It was the only thing in my car that i thought had a chance or working. So i pulled over and gave it a try.

Maybe you're a genius.... wink.gif

#13 User is offline   Nicon 

Posted 08 March 2006 - 04:22 PM

Well.......i didnt want to be the first to say it :-)

#14 User is offline   Nicola 

Posted 08 March 2006 - 04:23 PM

QUOTE (Nicon @ Mar 8 2006, 04:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well.......i didnt want to be the first to say it :-)

roflmao.gif

Modest too! wink.gif

#15 User is offline   spenspuma 

Posted 08 March 2006 - 04:25 PM

How did the chips taste later on that night?? bleh.gif

This post has been edited by spenspuma: 08 March 2006 - 04:30 PM

SPENCER
HONDA CRZ 2013

#16 User is offline   Nicon 

Posted 08 March 2006 - 04:27 PM

I just had a really funny image of myself trying to solve all of lifes problems with a potato!

#17 User is offline   frazzmac 

Posted 08 March 2006 - 06:31 PM

So you keep both a knife and a potato in the car - just for emergencies, obviously biggrin.gif

As someone else has said, RainX is good. Water just streams off the windscreen when travelling at high speed. Bit of a pain to apply though.

This post has been edited by frazzmac: 08 March 2006 - 06:32 PM

#18 User is offline   spenspuma 

Posted 08 March 2006 - 07:10 PM

QUOTE (frazzmac @ Mar 8 2006, 06:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As someone else has said, RainX is good. Water just streams off the windscreen when travelling at high speed. Bit of a pain to apply though.

From what ive heard from various sources, RainX can actually cause smearing....Yes it lessens the need to use the wipers but in the dark ive heard it can smear quite bad in the glare on oncoming headlights.
SPENCER
HONDA CRZ 2013

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic